2020s Issue--west coast homeless

Page 1 of 3123>
January 6th, 2020 at 5:04:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
There are of course homeless everywhere. We mostly hear about them when Republicans are in charge and other news is slow, but they are around. Pre 1970s they were more "hobos" who traveled to follow meager work and scarf free meals here or there. Remember the hobo who showed Don Draper the "code" they used? They are and have usually been by far mostly men. Women have always had more places to go including one called and I swear it is true, "The Institute for Destitute and Friendless Women."

Today, a new thing is happening in the west coast cities. Homelessness is now structural. It is embedded. Entrenched. And there are now two classes.

First is the "classic" homeless. Some of those in an earlier era would be in a mental institution. Some are addicts. Some are just noncomformists who prefer the life of a bum to one of work.

The problem is they have taken over many places and their supporters are enabling them to lower the quality of life for all. One business blocked an alley that was being used as a shooting gallery and toilet. People complained about the "poor homeless." Businesses tried putting big rocks out so homeless did not lie in front of their stores all day. Same result.

These cities are well on their way to losing their luster because of quality of life, they will wonder "how did it happen?"

But the second part is lets call "working class homeless." These people usually have employment, keep themselves up, and appear normal. Except they have no real fixed address. Live in a backyard tent, camper, even homeless shelter. 20 years ago I saw a news story about a guy lived in a shelter, cleaned up every morning, and went to an $80K job daily.

This will be way harder to solve. The west coast is geographically much like Brazil, which it is becoming with slums just outside luxury neighborhoods. This is due to the fairly short buildable area near the coast then you hit mountains that are uninhabitable in all but small numbers.

Some states are trying to solve this by banning R-1 zoning satewide. This will probably end up in lawsuits, but before that I doubt it will work. Reason is most of the areas are already overbuilt. I see it in my business when I look at a house online. Endless suburbia. Sale prices that make us in or on the fringe of the midwest scratch our heads and wonder how people do it. Many do it by never paying off a mortgage, being glorified "renters" who never get real equity.

This is unsusainable. Where does it go?
The President is a fink.
January 6th, 2020 at 5:11:23 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
The Institute for Destitute Prostitutes has a better ring to it.
January 6th, 2020 at 5:16:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: zippyboy
The Institute for Destitute Prostitutes has a better ring to it.

I'm telling you I swear to God with my life it was called what I said. Was down in Mission's neck of the woods. I told one of the women at the courthouse and they were like, "you have got to be kidding me."
The President is a fink.
January 6th, 2020 at 5:19:25 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
There have been a few places called that, or something close, in different cities as well as different countries. Church organization of some sort, I would think. I don’t specifically remember ever seeing one, but I have no reason to doubt it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 6th, 2020 at 5:25:11 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
There have been a few places called that, or something close, in different cities as well as different countries. Church organization of some sort, I would think. I don’t specifically remember ever seeing one, but I have no reason to doubt it.

It probably closed or at least renamed before your time, but in your neck of the woods is the one I found. Could be others, maybe it was a franchise.

How about discussing the main points? Trying to vary the discussion here.
The President is a fink.
January 6th, 2020 at 5:28:06 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I only replied because you brought me up. I’m afraid I know very little about the homeless situation in the West or the real estate market. The only assumption I can make is that the homeless problem must not be killing the property values yet.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 6th, 2020 at 5:33:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
I only replied because you brought me up. I’m afraid I know very little about the homeless situation in the West or the real estate market. The only assumption I can make is that the homeless problem must not be killing the property values yet.

I see the flipping costs and cannot understand how people survive out there. Check out some stories out of there. You will never complain about the neighbor's F-350 again.
The President is a fink.
January 6th, 2020 at 5:44:12 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Ha! Accidentally deleted my own post.

I’ll complain about an F-350 anytime they try to push my little Elantra around with an aggressive lane change. They probably complain about me not yielding to their game of chicken, if they want to hit me, they can hit me. I’ll check out a few stories.
January 6th, 2020 at 5:44:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
I see the flipping costs and cannot understand how people survive out there. Check out some stories out of there. You will never complain about the neighbor's F-350 again.
It is all a question of values: like the time a woman from Los Angeles visited a woman in Phoenix. Tired from her travels she declared her intention to fill a bathtub to the brim and just soak for a day but was surprised to hear the horrified admonition: "Here you can't spend water as it were money.
January 6th, 2020 at 5:48:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
It is all a question of values: like the time a woman from Los Angeles visited a woman in Phoenix. Tired from her travels she declared her intention to fill a bathtub to the brim and just soak for a day but was surprised to hear the horrified admonition: "Here you can't spend water as it were money.

I just look at the endless suburbia out there. I swear miles of HOA neighborhood to drive thru just to get to the main road and services. I see the prices. I don't get it.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 3123>