what little I saw of them.

I get Star Trek, still enjoy it. I get
Indiana Jones and the Bond and
Bourne franchises, and Batman.
Star Wars baffles me, it has few
permanent actors and isn't really
about anything I can relate to.
Who cares.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2020 at 5:32:20 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
I never 'got' all the fuss over
SW. I saw the first 3, they were
OK. All the ones after that sucked,
what little I saw of them.

I get Star Trek, still enjoy it. I get
Indiana Jones and the Bond and
Bourne franchises, and Batman.
Star Wars baffles me, it has few
permanent actors and isn't really
about anything I can relate to.
Who cares.

I have to strongly recommend Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Ewan McGregor basically saved Episode II from being a complete wash and is just otherworldly good in Episode III. More than that, the whole entire movie is just pretty darn good and certainly not starved for action.

As far as Star Trek goes, I'm pretty big on The Next Generation and Voyager and I thought Deep Space Nine was okay. You want to talk about strong females in leadership positions, ST was doing that in Voyager before it was a thing. Despite her flaws, Captain Janeway was one woman you didn't want to mess with and I think even her flaws were well-written...mostly her impulsiveness...nobody's perfect.

I've only seen the Indiana Jones where everyone's faces melt at the end, so I don't really know. It was okay. Definitely not enough so to make me want to watch anymore of them or not change the channel (if I even really watched TV) when it comes on. Haven't seen a Bourne movie whatsoever, so I can't speak to that. I've only seen the Batman movie with George Clooney...it was a little silly, but I guess okay. I've seen one or two Bond movies, but I couldn't tell you which ones...one of them had Sean Connery.

I don't know what you mean by few permanent actors in Star Wars. Haven't, like, 87 people played both James Bond and Batman? With Star Wars, now you have Ian McDiarmid who has effectively been a part of every single movie and has appeared in over half of them in some capacity. You have Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill who have been in 5-6 of them in some capacity...and this is spanning over forty years. I don't know how much more permanent in can possibly get.

As far as, "Who cares?", I think it's pretty evident in the box office figures that tens of millions of people care at least enough to see it. Everyone has their own tastes. I don't care about any of the other franchises you mentioned (exception to Star Trek, and even then, I don't care about the new stuff) but I know many people do.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 3rd, 2020 at 10:12:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mission14
I've only seen the Batman movie with George Clooney...it was a little silly, but I guess okay.

You think Batman is silly, but
never miss the franchise that
has actors talking to green
screens where they're conversing
with tall dogs with long ears.
Whatever, dude.
P.S. I don't read most of your
posts because they're 800 words
too long. You have a real problem
finding your point. Just sayin..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2020 at 10:23:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I didn't say Batman is silly, I said that particular movie was silly. Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze made all sorts of weak jokes, for one thing. Both things are fiction and are silly in the sense of, "Not real," I agree with that much. I have no real opinion of Batman, in general, or any specific Batman movie with exception to that one.

P.S. May I suggest Twitter?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 3rd, 2020 at 10:36:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Mission146

P.S. May I suggest Twitter?

For what.
January 3rd, 2020 at 10:51:52 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
For what.

Posts that are as succinct and to the point as you would prefer as a matter of policy. I guess I do have to use words if I want to make my point, who would have guessed?
January 3rd, 2020 at 11:00:04 AM permalink
Evenbob
I guess I do have to use words if I want to make my point, who would have guessed?

Face does the same thing, goes on
and on and on, without ever
getting anywhere. I don't have
time to read 1200 word posts,
nobody here does.

See what I did there? Had a
point, got right to it. Cool,
huh?
January 3rd, 2020 at 11:03:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Face does the same thing, goes on
and on and on, without ever
getting anywhere. I don't have
time to read 1200 word posts,
nobody here does.

See what I did there? Had a
point, got right to it. Cool,
huh?

Yet when I tried it, you missed my point.

I find Face to be one of the most enjoyable to read writers on any forum where I have ever participated. Hence, my suggestion of Twitter if you don't have time for 1,200 word posts. I definitely have time to read Face's posts if I am interested in the underlying subject matter, if not, then no.
January 3rd, 2020 at 11:08:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Also, despite the length of my post, you arrived at the following erroneous conclusions:

1.) That I was somehow disparaging the character or concept of Batman, on the whole, when I was clearly referring to a specific movie.

AND:

2.) That I do not consider Star Wars silly in the way that you were using the word silly which is different than how I was using the word. If by, 'Silly,' I simply meant fictitious in a way that has no bearing on reality, then a good half of the movies I actually like would be silly.

If anything, perhaps I should be using more words.
January 3rd, 2020 at 11:14:21 AM permalink
Evenbob

1.) That I was somehow disparaging the character or concept of Batman,

Batman is silly and dopey, but it
doesn't try to be anything other
than that. People seem to think
SW in 'important', I can't imagine
why.
Page 2 of 3<123>