Billionaires only

November 11th, 2019 at 6:29:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
If only billionaires ran for POTUS, we would have more transparent elections. As it is now, most candidates are only fronts for corporations or lobby's. As I've mentioned before, politicians should wear jackets with their sponsors logo's on them like Nascar drivers.

Love Trump or hate him, he often has his own mind and speaks it. With the last real competitor, you didn't really know who you were voting for.

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/10/all-of-americas-607-billionaires-must-run-for-president/

We need candidates that can afford to speak their own mind, regardless of what that is.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 11th, 2019 at 7:43:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: petroglyph
If only billionaires ran for POTUS, we would have more transparent elections. As it is now, most candidates are only fronts for corporations or lobby's. As I've mentioned before, politicians should wear jackets with their sponsors logo's on them like Nascar drivers.

Love Trump or hate him, he often has his own mind and speaks it. With the last real competitor, you didn't really know who you were voting for.

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/10/all-of-americas-607-billionaires-must-run-for-president/

We need candidates that can afford to speak their own mind, regardless of what that is.

Sure he has all the qualities for speaking bluntly and plainly, except for all the lies. You also can't be telling the plain truth if you don't speak of your own faults or mistakes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 12th, 2019 at 6:33:48 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
You also can't be telling the plain truth if you don't speak of your own faults or mistakes.

That's ridiculous. Clearly someone can always tell the truth without answering any questions about themselves.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 12th, 2019 at 10:29:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
That's ridiculous. Clearly someone can always tell the truth without answering any questions about themselves.

That’s if you think the example is only about telling some truths. Some who can blast other people without shame but never admit their own failures don’t deserve the title yet of straight talkers.

If you don’t want to admit your own shortcomings, that’s okay, but don’t try to pass yourself off as someone as unafraid to say how things really are.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 12th, 2019 at 3:14:08 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

If you don’t want to admit your own shortcomings, that’s okay, but don’t try to pass yourself off as someone as unafraid to say how things really are.

But your assertion was someone can't tell the truth with without speaking of their own faults. Yes they can.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 12th, 2019 at 3:16:56 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Some who can blast other people without shame but never admit their own failures don’t deserve the title yet of straight talkers.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 12th, 2019 at 3:44:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
But your assertion was someone can't tell the truth with without speaking of their own faults. Yes they can.

I DIDN'T say just truth, in my original statement, I modified it with "plain." I wouldn't have bothered to add plain if I just needed the word truth.

Whether it was understood or not, that was my shorthand for "plain speaking truth".

Plain speaking by itself has the meaning of being blunt or in your face, but (IMO) without the word truth it is not necessarily a good quality. And to tell the truth and be plain speaking you have to attempt to be honest across the board, including your own faults.
November 12th, 2019 at 4:50:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Tom Seyer is running for the Democratic nomination, and I see constant ads for him, and hear constant radio ads (just about every commercial break), and I have yet to meet anyone who actually supports him. (And, polls seem to confirm this).

If you are rich, you can dump endless money into ads that won't necessarily work...