CL deal gone sour. What would you do?

Page 1 of 3123>
September 12th, 2019 at 7:05:56 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
You are selling a very nice stove/oven on Craigslist. It’s only a few years old and is in great condition, it was $2k brand new.

You’re highly motivated to move the appliance and list it in Craigslist for $650.

Someone comes to check out the stove, and you settle on a price of $450. The buyer leaves a deposit of $225 and will return the next day with a truck and appliance dolly.

The gentleman returns the next day with his truck and dolly. You help him prep the oven to move by securing the oven to the dolly with straps.

The buyer came with 3 $100 bills and needs change to complete the transaction. You go inside to get change, and the buyer begins loading the oven in to his truck by himself. As he is loading it, he shatters the glass on the front door of the oven.

The buyer blames you for the incident, saying you improperly secured the straps around the glass portion of the door, which caused it to shatter. He refuses to pay you the remaining $225 for the now broken oven. Like I mentioned, you are highly motivated to get rid of this appliance.

What do you do?
September 12th, 2019 at 7:28:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Learn how to put on the straps
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 12th, 2019 at 7:38:41 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: petroglyph
Learn how to put on the straps

I think the straps were a cheap excuse, and carelessness while loading was the real reason. In any case, the buyer took possession of the oven and loaded it solo, it was his responsibility at that point.

FWIW I am not the seller (or buyer) in this story. There’s a host of things the seller could have done to avoid any responsibility, like collecting the money upfront or not helping to secure the item at all. However the question is, what would you do if you found yourself in the situation as described?

Additionally, any other CL anecdotes/opinions are welcome in this thread.
September 12th, 2019 at 7:38:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't know, but that sucks.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 13th, 2019 at 12:49:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
oh, I get it. CL equals Craig's List.
September 13th, 2019 at 1:17:51 AM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
I don't know, but that seems like he was plotting to scam you. He did a foolish thing on his own, something bad happened and he blames you claiming he doesn't have to pay you the rest of the money. That's kind of like a customer PURPOSELY tripping over the wet floor SIGN and then suing a store....Seriously?
September 13th, 2019 at 2:05:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
What I do is I make them pay the whole amount before they load it. THEY load it. I do not do anything beyond hold the door open. All on them.
The President is a fink.
September 13th, 2019 at 5:01:01 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
There is only one person I'd trust to sort this all out:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 13th, 2019 at 5:32:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: gamerfreak
What do you do?

First, I take your side regarding the broken glass not being your fault. File it under "no good deed goes unpunished."

However, as to the question at hand, it pits utility against principle. Utility says to say "yes" and be done with it. Principle says to demand the stove back and then sue him for breaking it.

My answer is to take the lower amount in the interest of good mental health. The older I get, the more I inclined I am to not fight over the small stuff.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 13th, 2019 at 6:17:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
The older I get, the more I inclined I am to not fight over the small stuff.
It's ALL small stuff.
Page 1 of 3123>