The Heart Band Appreciation Thread!

July 15th, 2019 at 5:21:58 AM permalink
BlackjackPro
Threads: 3
Wow. I fell in love with Heart when I heard,"These Dreams," in the 90's. I loves the calm, soothing, tranquil, ethereal ambience of the song. And I later found out that These Dreams was made in the time that they had been considered to have sold out(In the bad way). It was mentioned that These8 Dreams was a good song but the other hits from this era were plain selling their souls for big money. Even Ann Wilson,lead singer admitted they left their real souls in the woods in the 80's and took a boat ride in a lake to the Corporate side for big money. I got into the 70's Heart, as I found Barracuda AMAZING. From start to finish, it never lets up. Crazy On You, Soul Of The Sea, Sing Child, Magic Man, Straight On, Heartless, Mistral Wind, White Lightning And Wine(This one tells the funny story of someone who had consentual sex after having too much alcohol, LOL), Little Queen, Kick It Out(WOW. So much POWER, it really kicks from start to finish) , all great songs. Heart ROCKS so hard!
July 15th, 2019 at 7:34:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Last several years, they have included quite a few Led Zeppelin covers in their shows.
They do the Led Zeppelin covers quite well

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 15th, 2019 at 7:55:50 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
How hard is it to sing ‘Crazy On You”?

Shara Worden, although unknown to many, is one of the best female vocalists today. And she struggles.

(For comparison here she is, drunk in a bar in Brazil, toying with Whitney Houston at karaoke.)

October 15th, 2019 at 4:02:41 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
So, I recently thought of Look Who's Talking movie, a movie I haven't seen in a really long time. On Filmboards, fans talked about how funny dubbing Mikey's cry with Janis Joplin screech wail from Cry Baby song was. I decided to look up Cry Baby song by Janis and I was shocked by how similar she sounded to Ann Wilson. The similarity was uncanny....:)
October 15th, 2019 at 5:38:05 PM permalink
Mosca
Quote: KNathan
So, I recently thought of Look Who's Talking movie, a movie I haven't seen in a really long time. On Filmboards, fans talked about how funny dubbing Mikey's cry with Janis Joplin screech wail from Cry Baby song was. I decided to look up Cry Baby song by Janis and I was shocked by how similar she sounded to Ann Wilson. The similarity was uncanny....:)

Other way around. But, there’s room for both. Listen and enjoy.

October 15th, 2019 at 6:48:13 PM permalink
KNathan
Quote: Mosca
Other way around. But, there’s room for both. Listen and enjoy.

You are right. By the time Janis Johnson passed away at age 27, Ann Wilson was a College Sophomore. I do remember a Heart Fan saying something like,"Why is Ann Wilson so desperate to seem like Janis Joplin? Ann is great in her own right. She doesn't need to come across as a Janis Joplin Replica! "
October 15th, 2019 at 8:08:51 PM permalink
Mosca
I never considered them close. Joplin is raspier, Wilson’s tone is purer. Joplin is nasal, Wilson sings from her chest.

Both are great. I’m not one for parsing levels of talent; ranking artists insults art. Let’s just listen and smile!

October 16th, 2019 at 7:28:23 AM permalink
KNathan
Quote: Mosca
I never considered them close. Joplin is raspier, Wilson’s tone is purer. Joplin is nasal, Wilson sings from her chest.

Both are great. I’m not one for parsing levels of talent; ranking artists insults art. Let’s just listen and smile!

Wouldn't nasally sound high pitched and a chest voice sound raspier? :/
October 16th, 2019 at 7:43:06 AM permalink
Mosca
Quote: KNathan
Wouldn't nasally sound high pitched and a chest voice sound raspier? :/

Not really. Sing something to yourself out loud. But not too loud. Sing like you’re singing along to the radio, in a speaking voice. Then take a deep breath and sing from your diaphragm.

I’m not professional, and I’m not a singer. We might just have a difference in understanding what the terms mean; we might mean the same thing, but we’re using different words. Or we are using the same words and think they mean different things. But I think we agree that Joplin is raspier (I said nasal, but raspy works here, too) and Wilson is deeper and purer. She can sound raspy, but she can also sound natural. Joplin never sounds not-raspy.