Were people ever this innocent?

Page 1 of 212>
May 23rd, 2019 at 8:55:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

This song "Les Sucettes" or "the lollipops" was a hit in 1966. The girl (age 18) is singing the song with the author, who is well known today for writing sexually explicit songs. France Gall died last year at the age of 70. At the time she was singing the song, she said she didn't understand any of the double entendres and was horrified after the song was recorded to find out what they meant, and she felt tricked by the adults who let her record it.

In her own words she was "mortified, hiding herself away for weeks, refusing to face anyone".

Presumably once enlightened she continued to sing the song as it was a hit.

Les sucettes
Annie aime les sucettes
Les sucettes à l'anis
Les sucettes à l'anis d'Annie
Donnent à ses baisers
Un goût anisé
Lorsque le sucre d'orge
Parfumé à l'anis
Coule dans la gorge d'Annie
Elle est au paradis
Pour quelques penny, Annie
A ses sucettes à l'anis
Elles ont la couleur de ses grands yeux
La couleur des jours heureux
Annie aime les sucettes
Les sucettes à l'anis
Les sucettes à l'anis d'Annie
Donnent à ses baisers
Un goût anisé
Lorsqu'elle n'a sur sa langue
Que le petit bâton
Elle prend ses jambes à son corps

The daughter of the songwriter nearly 5 decades later when the concept of the double entendre is almost completely lost.

Et…
May 23rd, 2019 at 11:37:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Statements are often made for economic reasons. Unaware of the meanings when she can market youth and innocence.
There may be gaps in precise definitions and some posters here may not know the meanings of nursery rhymes. i'd frame a quick quiz on GeorgiebPorgie, mere, little girl who lives down the lane, red riding hood, wine, etc., but i'm too lazy. Theaters in Shakespear's time were usually the ante room to a bordello so what sort of meanings did you expect in such plays. When insulting royalty or nobility was punishable by death wouldn't you expect nursery rhymes and songs to be allegories.
May 25th, 2019 at 11:32:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The songwriter was nearly 20 years older than the singer, and he tricked her into singing a sexually explicit song in a little girl voice because she didn't understand the lyrics. No one let her in on the secret until it was recorded.

Wikipedia states Since his death, Gainsbourg's music has reached legendary stature in France, and he is regarded as one of France's most revered musicians. He has also gained a cult following in the English-speaking world, with numerous artists influenced by his arrangements.

Yet Kate Smith is now a pariah for singing a song in the 1930's "That's Why Darkies Were Born".
May 26th, 2019 at 2:10:06 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Often people do not know the true meanings of what they are singing.

How many vocalists know that "silver bells and cockle shells" are references to interrogation techniques favored by Bloody Mary or that a French Hen is a cask of a certain size?

Musicians often have signature sings but dredging up some historical performance that is now not "politically correct" is simply absurd.
May 26th, 2019 at 6:10:49 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I just listened to the song - even though it is virtually unlistenable
May 26th, 2019 at 6:11:31 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Fleastiff

How many vocalists know that "silver bells and cockle shells" are references to interrogation techniques favored by Bloody Mary or that a French Hen is a cask of a certain size?

Musicians often have signature sings but dredging up some historical performance that is now not "politically correct" is simply absurd.

Exactly - viewing the social mores of the past through the tilted lens of the present is idiotic
May 26th, 2019 at 9:55:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Fleastiff

That just means the person singing is ignorant; it doesn't mean the meaning is any better. Nor that it has any better reason to keep being sung because people are ignorant about it.

However, if people want to sing songs with unknown meanings, I'm not stopping them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2019 at 10:13:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Pacomartin
Yet Kate Smith is now a pariah for singing a song in the 1930's "That's Why Darkies Were Born".

So, to be fair, you could have a statue of Kate Smith, and a recording could be playing of "God Bless America", and also "That's Why Darkies Were Born" and other songs on a loop.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2019 at 10:17:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Like this:

Sally Hemings Gets Her Own Room at Monticello ... As part of the $35-million Mountaintop Project restoration to return Monticello to the ..
May 26th, 2019 at 9:00:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Double entendre songs in English (although I don't think any of the performers claimed that they didn't know what the song meant)

Van Halen, "I'm Your Ice-Cream Man"
Victoria Spivey and Lonnie Johnson, "Toothache Blues"
Wynonie Harris, "Keep On Churnin' (Till the Butter Comes)"
Lightnin' Hopkins, "Let Me Play With Your Poodle"
The Cramps, "Daisys Up Your Butterfly"
Roy Brown, "Cadillac Baby"
Denise LaSalle, "Pay Before You Pump"
Dinah Washington, "Big Long Slidin' Thing"
Prince, "Tamborine"
Aerosmith, "Big Ten Inch Record"
Julia Lee, "My Man Stands Out"
Hoyle Nix, "Big Ball's in Cowtown"