Deep fake

April 29th, 2019 at 8:36:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The political problem was obvious, but imagine the effect on the requirement to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt in court. Criminals could walk free if their lawyer can suggest that even video evidence has been faked to frame their client, because "beyond reasonable doubt" is a high bar to meet.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 29th, 2019 at 8:45:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
The political problem was obvious, but imagine the effect on the requirement to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt in court. Criminals could walk free if their lawyer can suggest that even video evidence has been faked to frame their client, because "beyond reasonable doubt" is a high bar to meet.

You just cant claim a video is faked to raise reasonable doubt, you have to prove it
and
If you submit a fake video for evidence, that's akin to perjury, a vey serious charge
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 29th, 2019 at 10:21:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
You just cant claim a video is faked to raise reasonable doubt, you have to prove it
and
If you submit a fake video for evidence, that's akin to perjury, a vey serious charge

Did you see the OJ trial? OJ's side hired experts. Once you can conceivably do something, you just need someone to put enough doubt into the juries mind with their expert testimony.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 1st, 2019 at 3:42:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Did you see the OJ trial? OJ's side hired experts. Once you can conceivably do something, you just need someone to put enough doubt into the juries mind with their expert testimony.
Vincent Buglosi wrote a book about everything the prosecution did wrong, required reading in law school now I've heard
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 1st, 2019 at 6:45:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
the prosecution did wrong
The worst was locking themselves into a trial downtown rather than having a jury pool of white, well-educated people in West Los Angeles. It wasn't the prosecutor who left the sweat suit and dna-filled water in the washing machine for Kardashian to remove. Its hard when you have a star-struck judge and a prosecutor who believes he was a 'buffalo soldier' in a past life.
May 2nd, 2019 at 4:41:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The whole business was Californi-weird with so many "hip ideas" having gained currency that the justice system really had gotten to the point they were unfit to try anybody [except lawyer-starved poor people of course].

Case in point was Marcia Clark, who was selected even though she evidently couldn't decide between being a lawyer or a playboy playmate when she grew up. Image is not safe for work

image from http://www.reuni.eu/softcore/nude-photo-of-oj-simpson.php
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]