Who is supposed to go first? A younger woman or an older man? :/

March 29th, 2019 at 5:13:19 AM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
I walked in front of an Foreign older man and he cussed me out in another Language. LMAO! :/ Something like,"This betch walked in front of me! How dare she!" I soon let him walk in front of me and he said something like,"She finally learned her lesson! " I was told that women were supposed to go first, but I was also told that you should let your elders walk first although I was told more that a woman is supposed to walk in front of an older man. But the fact that he was Foreign may have been why he cussed me out in his Language when I walked in front of him and was relieved when I let him walk in front of me. Maybe in his Culture, a woman walking in front of an older man is a huge no no.
March 29th, 2019 at 6:12:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
If you are not with each other it should not matter.

If the woman is with the man then it varies. If you are being "led" somewhere such as being seated in a restaurant then the woman goes first, the man following. Logic being that the hostess is "protecting" from the front and the man from the rear.

If you are not being led then the man usually goes first, same "protection" logic. Hazards are more likely to come from the front not the rear. The man is sort of being the blocking back. A difference would be when you enter a door, etc.

Do you walk slower than average? That could be an issue. In my experience, women both walk slower then most men and are more likely to have less purpose in where they are going. IOW, they might be checking out this or that along the way. OTOH, men are more likely to be purposely headed to a destination and want to make a beeline.
The President is a fink.
March 29th, 2019 at 6:27:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Probably cultural. Recall the Saudi woman who beat a servant walking in front of her in a mall? Just fine in Arabia but not legal in Miami.
did this really need a separate thread?
March 29th, 2019 at 7:49:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
What if we change the situation to this -- You're sitting in a bus otherwise full of women and elderly people. The bus stops and a young woman and elderly and frail man get on. Do you:

A) Offer your seat to the young woman
B) Offer your seat to the old man
C) Depends on how attractive the woman is
D) Depends on how old and frail the man is
E) I keep my damn seat

While I've been socialized to give up my seat to either, if forced to choose I think I would go with the old man. I think he truly needs the seat more and giving it up to a woman is just out of chivalry.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 29th, 2019 at 8:07:55 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
What if we change the situation to this -- You're sitting in a bus otherwise full of women and elderly people. The bus stops and a young woman and elderly and frail man get on. Do you:

E) I keep my damn seat

While I've been socialized to give up my seat to either, if forced to choose I think I would go with the old man. I think he truly needs the seat more and giving it up to a woman is just out of chivalry.

I think the elderly get priority over a young women. The young women should be able to stand no problem and that is not true for many elderly people. In todays world you might even have the young women get after you for giving up your seat. I have had women get after me when I open the door for them because that is somehow sexist in todays world.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 29th, 2019 at 10:06:09 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard

E) I keep my damn seat

Same scenario but let's make the young woman pregnant. Let me rephrase. Let's say the young woman is pregnant.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.