Religious affiliation of congressmen and senators

March 3rd, 2019 at 8:14:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Presbyterians are vastly overrepresented in the Senate at 13% while only 2% of the general population.
Episcopalians are vastly overrepresented in both Houses at 5.1% in House and 4.0% in the Senate while only 1% of the general population.
Catholics are slightly overrepresented in the House at 32% while only 21% of the general population

Jews are way overrepresented in Congress in both Houses. In the House of Representatives Jews are 6% and in the Senate, they are 8%, while the adult population in the USA is only 2% Jewish.

While 23% of the general adult population states "unaffiliated" only 1 Senator and zero Congressman give that answer.

Is any of those results a surprise to you?

I am not particularly shocked as Presbyterians and Episcopalians are the most popular denomination of rich middle-aged white men. The congressional district process probably creates a lot of Catholic majority districts, and Catholics are very concerned about social issues like education. Jews hold a high percentage of all prestigious jobs. Unaffiliated is probably a risky thing to be as a politician.
March 3rd, 2019 at 9:30:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Presbyterians are vastly overrepresented

How many atheists? None, I'm betting.They
won't admit it because it's political suicide.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 4th, 2019 at 2:31:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
How many atheists? None, I'm betting. They won't admit it because it's political suicide.

While 23% of the general adult population states "unaffiliated" only 1 Senator and zero Congressman give that answer. So if they are afraid to say "unaffiliated" they certainly are not going to say "atheist".
March 4th, 2019 at 11:41:06 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Evenbob
How many atheists? None, I'm betting.They
won't admit it because it's political suicide.

It's political suicide in red states. In blue states, no one cares.

There are currently 2 atheists serving in Congress: Jared Huffman (D-CA) and Jamie Raskin (D-MD).
March 4th, 2019 at 12:22:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
It's political suicide in red states. In blue states, no one cares.

Really? Obama went to church for years as a blue-state senator, but never seemed religious at all.
The President is a fink.
March 4th, 2019 at 1:08:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
In order for Congresspersons to become Israeli/duel citizens, do they have to be Jewish? https://www.reddit.com/r/worldpolitics/comments/9xmze4/26_of_the_members_of_the_senate_and_congress_have/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 5th, 2019 at 5:14:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was thinking that this reddit article could be easily debunked , but I can't after trying a bit

what is the benefit to dual citizenship? there must be a reason unrelated to actually planning to live part time both places, I'm thinking. It certainly would potentially be a negative, too, i would think
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 5th, 2019 at 6:18:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
I was thinking that this reddit article could be easily debunked , but I can't after trying a bit

what is the benefit to dual citizenship? there must be a reason unrelated to actually planning to live part time both places, I'm thinking. It certainly would potentially be a negative, too, i would think

Hold two passports maybe? Fight extradition for sure.
The President is a fink.