Lottery Clerks scamming/attempting to scam Customers out of their winning tickets?:/

Page 1 of 3123>
February 7th, 2019 at 6:16:50 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Has this ever happened to you? A Lottery Clerk at a gas station told me my ticket was not a winner. I told him off saying something like,"Don't play with me! I checked my numbers on the Florida Lottery website and they matched!" He had a look of,"Damn, she's smarter than I thought!" And weakly claimed that he was just joking and paid me my money. -.-

There was a Dateline episode where Dateline were giving $1,000 and in one case a $500 winning tickets to random Lottery Clerks for them to scan to check their honesty. The Dateline Employees were undercover and had hidden cameras on them. Most of the random Clerks were honest(One of them even said something really helpful like,"You really should sign this winning ticket and go to the Lottery Office.")and told the truth, but 6 Clerks straight up lied and said the tickets were all losers and kept the tickets and like 5 of them either have it to their family member who claimed it or they claimed it themselves.

One person lied, kept it but didn't cash it in. A 7th person admitted that the ticket was a winner but did Lottery Discounting when the Undercover Dateline Employee claimed they had debts and they knew that The Lottery would keep all the money to pay off the debts if they went to the Lottery Office to claim it in person and not give it to the winner to spend. The Clerk said he would "buy," the ticket for about $600. She agreed, and he gave her the $600 and she gave him the ticket. Although he was not arrested for buying the ticket from her, his store lost the Lottery licence since Lottery Discounting is against Lottery Rules and Regulations, although not illegal. Posters on YouTube said that they felt the Lottery Discounter should not have had his Lottery Licence revoked because he was actually trying to help someone who told him she had debts that she knew The Lottery would use all of her winnings to pay them off and not give it to her. They said he should have been left alone, although they agreed the 6 liars deserved to be punished.

The guy who only kept the ticket but didn't claim it was merely fired, after his boss said he did nothing wrong. WTF? LMAO. :/ :D. The only thing stopping him from being arrested and sentenced to jail was the fact that he did not claim ut, merely just kept it. The other 5 Clerks were arrested and sentenced to 4-6 months in jail along with the family Members who claimed it.

So have any Lottery Clerks attempted to scam or have scammed/attempted to scam you or anybody you know/heard of?
February 7th, 2019 at 6:20:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I've heard of this before, at least twice. Since I don't play the lottery, I can't say that it has happened to me.

When I cash winning sports betting tickets I always write a W or L on them, to make sure what happens at the window is what I expect. On prop bets, I like to run the losers through too, just to be safe.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 7th, 2019 at 6:24:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I was a lottery clerk back in the day.
Allview Liquor store
I was always honest with our lottery customers. Many were regulars that I knew by name.
If somebody won and we had enough money to pay off the winner, we paid and sometimes got a tip.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 7th, 2019 at 8:47:50 PM permalink
KNathan
Quote: terapined
I was a lottery clerk back in the day.
Allview Liquor store
I was always honest with our lottery customers. Many were regulars that I knew by name.
If somebody won and we had enough money to pay off the winner, we paid and sometimes got a tip.

It's good that you were always honest with your Customers. :)

What kicked off the Dateline Lottery Clerk Sting was a man named Bob who got scammed by a Lottery Clerk he was loyal to. Bob had a winning ticket for Mega Millions, $500,000. He had matched all 5 numbers but not the Mega Ball. He gave it to the Lottery Clerk to scan. The LC put it in his Terminal machine and admitted it was a winner, and kept looking at the ticket and his Terminal machine. He claimed he needed to go to the back with the winning ticket. Bob admitted he didn't see either of his constant looking at both The Terminal machine and his ticket and his sudden need to go to the backroom the ticket as red flags at the time and was like,"Okay, go ahead!" The LC went into the backroom with the ticket and came back and was like,"Congratulations, you won $4! -.- What had happened was that the PC had a winning $4 MM ticket in his backroom and put the winning $500,000 in his backroom and brought out and cashed out the $4 MM ticket for Bob. Bob was like,"Okay, I'll play 4 more Mega Millions tickets!(This was at a time when MM was only a dollar. Now it's $2 a ticket.)

On another day Bob was randomly surfing the internet when he saw an alert saying that the winning $500,000 MM ticket had been bought at 11:00 the same time l, same day, and the same exact store he bought his MM ticket from and had already been claimed. He was like,"Wait a minute. I bought a MM ticket at 11:00 that same day and same exact store. I am extremely suspicious." He contacted the police/Lottery Representative/ and they showed him on surveillance camera buying the winning ticket. The Clerk had already received the money, but was arrested and imprisoned for Grand Theft and lying to the Government. Dateline said Bob was paid his $500,000(I surmise it was from Lottery Reserves) and said that he used some of the money to open up a Tool Shop business. Bob himself said he put some of the money in the bank for his kids(At least he wasn't the kind of Lottery Winner who blows his money on a bunch of fancy material things).
February 8th, 2019 at 3:09:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: KNathan
It's good that you were always honest with your Customers. :)

What kicked off the Dateline Lottery Clerk Sting was a man named Bob who got scammed by a Lottery Clerk he was loyal to. Bob had a winning ticket for Mega Millions, $500,000. He had matched all 5 numbers but not the Mega Ball. He gave it to the Lottery Clerk to scan. The LC put it in his Terminal machine and admitted it was a winner, and kept looking at the ticket and his Terminal machine. He claimed he needed to go to the back with the winning ticket. Bob admitted he didn't see either of his constant looking at both The Terminal machine and his ticket and his sudden need to go to the backroom the ticket as red flags at the time and was like,"Okay, go ahead!" The LC went into the backroom with the ticket and came back and was like,"Congratulations, you won $4! -.- What had happened was that the PC had a winning $4 MM ticket in his backroom and put the winning $500,000 in his backroom and brought out and cashed out the $4 MM ticket for Bob. Bob was like,"Okay, I'll play 4 more Mega Millions tickets!(This was at a time when MM was only a dollar. Now it's $2 a ticket.)

Who takes a six figure ticket to a store to be paid out? Assuming the guy just went there to have the win verified, who lets the clerk take it into the back room? Sounds like the NFL player who got his first paycheck, was for about $40K, and went to the same check cashing place he had been using for years. (really happened!)

No, it has never happened to me because I do not play the lottery. I refuse to even get into those pools at work when it is at super high levels.
The President is a fink.
February 8th, 2019 at 5:07:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
never trust the clerks or owners, they will make the machine beep and read not a winner or a low amount.

they usually come from countries where no one would tust them and they would not trust customers
February 8th, 2019 at 5:33:10 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I actually got to watch a lottery drawing live as a witness
I was working the lottery terminal at the liquor store I worked and I got a message on the terminal inviting me to a drawing as a witness.
I accepted and went to the Baltimore TV studio that broadcasts the drawing
The lottery number is actually the 11'th number drawn that night
Before we go on the air, they test the machine 10 times making sure its producing random numbers and those numbers are recorded
We then go live and the 11'th drawing is the lottery number.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 8th, 2019 at 5:35:15 AM permalink
KNathan
Quote: AZDuffman
Who takes a six figure ticket to a store to be paid out? Assuming the guy just went there to have the win verified, who lets the clerk take it into the back room? Sounds like the NFL player who got his first paycheck, was for about $40K, and went to the same check cashing place he had been using for years. (really happened!)

No, it has never happened to me because I do not play the lottery. Irefuse to even get into those pools at work when it is at super high levels.

Bob trusted the Lottery Clerk because he was such a loyal Patron that it didn't cross his mind that the LC could rip him off. He even mentioned he didn't see his sudden need to go to the backroom WITH the winning ticket as a red flag of his constant scrutinizing of both the huge winning ticket and his terminal machine as red flags either like I mentioned before. Most people would have seen both of these shady actions as red flags. I don't think he went to the LC store to cash it in, he just wanted to see if he won SOMETHING. Remember, he had no idea that he won a $500,000 ticket until he happened to randomly be surfing the web that fateful day when the alert about when and where that MM ticket had been bought.
February 8th, 2019 at 5:53:28 AM permalink
KNathan
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailynews.com/2006/03/31/rightful-lottery-winner-cashes-in/amp/

A word to the wise. The Lottery didn't pay the Clerk because he couldn't correctly answer how he got the ticket. At the time this story broke, Bob hadn't figured out what he wanted to do with money. It was later on that Dateline claimed he opened up a Tool Business. Bob himself mentioned money in the bank for his kids.
February 8th, 2019 at 6:18:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: KNathan
Bob trusted the Lottery Clerk because he was such a loyal Patron that it didn't cross his mind that the LC could rip him off. He even mentioned he didn't see his sudden need to go to the backroom WITH the winning ticket as a red flag of his constant scrutinizing of both the huge winning ticket and his terminal machine as red flags either like I mentioned before. Most people would have seen both of these shady actions as red flags. I don't think he went to the LC store to cash it in, he just wanted to see if he won SOMETHING. Remember, he had no idea that he won a $500,000 ticket until he happened to randomly be surfing the web that fateful day when the alert about when and where that MM ticket had been bought.

Who buys a ticket and forgets about it? Anyone I have known that plays checks the numbers soon as they are drawn, or the next day.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 3123>