My daughter has her third Russian
exchange student right now. They
have one thing in common, at the
end of their stay none of them want
to go back to Russia. They do because
of family, and because they have to.
But they get depressed just thinking
about it.

One thing I know about the people that come here is they do want to leave Russia behind. Guy worked for me wanted to Amercianize his name on his paycheck. He was mildly upset and sad when I told him he had to get a new SS card to do that. Some tell others to let the old country go.

Only going for a vacation though. A few years back I would have thought of trying to teach English there. Life too busy for that now. Too old to get younger Russian women as well.
The President is a fink.
January 16th, 2019 at 1:16:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
One thing I know about the people that come here is they do want to leave Russia behind. .

For the most part, Russia is a 3rd
world country in many ways.
And it's ugly. The modern shabby
buildings, the flat terrain, the
crappy cars, the drab people.
At any given time, half the factory
workers on the job are legally
drunk. It's the only way to fight
the depression of living there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 16th, 2019 at 1:31:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Only going for a vacation though. A few years back I would have thought of trying to teach English there. Life too busy for that now. Too old to get younger Russian women as well.
I wouldn't be interested in young women either.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 16th, 2019 at 1:34:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: petroglyph
I wouldn't be interested in young women either.

Old women?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 16th, 2019 at 2:24:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Old women?
I prefer maturity. Everyone has preferential traits, don't they?

First, I am married to the woman of my dreams, so even talking about dating is hypothetical in my case.

But if I were seeking, it would be with someone older than my kids, who are near 40.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 16th, 2019 at 3:25:37 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I don't know anything about Russia but I frequently travel to Asia on business so I know something about jet lag. If you want to do a day in Europe each way, do it because you want to spend time in Europe. Don't do it to ease jet lag. It's not long enough to adjust.

Everyone is different, but this is what works for me. Take jet lag head on. Don't allow yourself to sleep before a reasonable bed time. Don't try to ease into it. When I go to Asia, I usually arrive on Sunday night, check in to the hotel and get to the factory on Monday morning. The first day is hard and the biggest challenge is not lying down before dinner after a long day at the factory. The next day is easier and I'm completely adjusted by Wednesday.

Everyone seems to agree that coming home is harder. I believe it's psychological. You're back in familiar territory so you're impatient for everything to feel normal.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 16th, 2019 at 3:30:35 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Yeah, assuming you're westbound from the states to asia, I've always found it much easier to stay up until local evening, get a good night's sleep. Much easier for me to adjust westbound than eastbound.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 16th, 2019 at 3:49:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: beachbumbabs
Zuga and miroslavlav on WoV are both over there, I think in Croatia. Both very friendly with good English, could be quite helpful. You might PM them.

They are in Serbia.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 16th, 2019 at 4:45:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Fun facts about Russia. In the old Soviet
Union, there was restrictions on alcohol,
so only 4 out of 10 people were drunk
on the job. With the 90's came privitization
of booze, so it climbed to 5 out of 10
being drunk.

95% of adults drink, 80% drink vodka.
It's for sale in almost every store and
on the street 24 hours a day. Most
men drink to get drunk. The average
lifespan of a Russian man is around
60, because of the drinking.

Why do they drink so much? When
you visit you'll find out. For the same
reason the exchange students don't
want to go back.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 16th, 2019 at 5:45:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford
I don't know anything about Russia but I frequently travel to Asia on business so I know something about jet lag. If you want to do a day in Europe each way, do it because you want to spend time in Europe. Don't do it to ease jet lag. It's not long enough to adjust.

Wanting to do it less for adjusting and more for a break from so many hours on a plane and because we will be there. My jet lag experience is only domestic, but that experience is west-to-east is easier than east-to-west. Other people have agreed with me there.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 4<1234>