1 vote (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (33.33%)
1 vote (33.33%)

3 members have voted

April 2nd, 2013 at 12:34:28 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
I tore my ACL skiing a couple of weeks ago. It's entirely possible to go about your daily life without an ACL, you're just limited somewhat in what activities you can pursue. Genetic freaks like John Elway can even have a hall-of-fame NFL career without an ACL, but I don't think I'm so blessed.

Since my primary hobby is playing Ultimate, I kind of need an ACL. I've actually only been skiing for 2 seasons, but I have been enjoying it, so I hope to get back into it after my recovery, despite the fact that it caused the tear.

So, onto the poll. There are a few different options for ACL reconstruction. They can't repair the torn ligament, they have to replace it with a graft. Generally they either take some tendon from your body (hamstring or patellar) or they use cadaver tissue from an organ donor. Here's some info on the various processes, but feel free to do additional research :).

Which graft do you think I should use? They all have their own pros and cons. There are some lesser-used grafts as well, so if you recommend one of those, vote for "other" and describe your recommendation. The surgeon who will likely be doing my surgery doesn't offer the quadriceps tendon autograft, which is describe in the article above.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
April 4th, 2013 at 8:56:04 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
I guess orthopedic surgery isn't a strong point of interest for this forum :)

Anyway, I decided to go with the cadaver tissue.
April 4th, 2013 at 9:50:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: AcesAndEights

I get queasy when thinking about knee surgery..

However you choose, I hope it all turns out well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 4th, 2013 at 1:27:07 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
It's just ignorance. Only thing I ever tore was my rotator, and I just toughed it out (by "tough it out", I mean "cry myself to sleep for almost a month")

My ignorant opinion would be cadaver. The single worst thing about injuries, for me, is restriction. Whether mechanical, like a brace or cast, or mental, like a doctor admonishing its use, I can't stand being restrained. If the graft something from somewhere else, not only is your knee out of commission, but wherever they take pieces from is out for a while, too.

Plus, now your knee will be "someone else". If anyone on your team bitches about you being out of position, you can always say "hey, it wasn't me!" ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 5th, 2013 at 5:29:56 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13

Anyway, I decided to go with the cadaver tissue.
I'd be afraid to give an opinion here as I don't actually know anything about the three procedures mentioned or any others.
April 18th, 2013 at 7:04:04 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
I go under the knife, okay, under the arthroscope today. Wish me luck!
April 18th, 2013 at 7:22:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Good luck!
April 18th, 2013 at 10:25:11 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
I go under the knife, okay, under the arthroscope today. Wish me luck!

I made it out alive! Now for the recuperating part...thankfully I have a gracious and helpful girlfriend to help me out for the next couple weeks. Then the REAL work begins, strengthening my leg again and slowly returning to activity.
April 19th, 2013 at 9:06:33 AM permalink
Nareed
I sincerely hope the recuperation will be easy on you.
April 29th, 2013 at 7:52:21 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Rehab is proceeding well, I'm a little ahead of schedule.

But let me tell you, getting off the Oxys was harder than I thought it would be. I've never taken any drugs other than Mary Jane (and I like Mary Jane quite a bit), so I wasn't sure what to expect. They made me kind of sleepy and of course dulled the pain, but that was about it. No euphoria like some have, but also no nausea or vomiting. Anyway, the pain from the operation was subsiding so I took my last pill Saturday morning. Sunday I felt like shit all day; I thought I was coming down with a cold until a light bulb went off and I googled "oxycodone withdrawal." Yep, I was showing a bunch of the symptoms. Could barely sleep last night even though I was exhausted.

I recommend against starting a recreational opiate habit.
Page 1 of 212>