Is private enterprise always cheaper

January 4th, 2019 at 5:58:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Evidence that private enterprise will not give consumers the best price, and that competition exists is sometimes a fallacy.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drug-prices-oxycontin-predaxa-purdue-pharmaceuticals-boehringer-ingelheim/

Sixteen drug manufactures under investigation for price fixing. And that is besides the fact that our government protects them from foreign competition, and has extended patent rights on drugs out to twenty years.

Would you be for foreign drug manufacturers being allowed to sell their products inside the USA? Is enough ever enough?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 4th, 2019 at 6:59:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

Sixteen drug manufactures under investigation for price fixing. And that is besides the fact that our government protects them from foreign competition, and has extended patent rights on drugs out to twenty years.

Would you be for foreign drug manufacturers being allowed to sell their products inside the USA? Is enough ever enough?

How, exactly, are they being protected. As far as foreign drug companies, sure. As long as they are subject to the same FDA and patent rules as the domestics.
The President is a fink.
January 4th, 2019 at 7:18:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
How, exactly, are they being protected. As far as foreign drug companies, sure. As long as they are subject to the same FDA and patent rules as the domestics.
I was under the mistaken impression that American laws didn't allow drugs manufactured in India or China to compete with American manufacturers.

I still don't think I can order drugs online from Canada, that were manufactured in the US, to be delivered to me cheaper?

Stuff changes.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 4th, 2019 at 8:32:19 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I was under the mistaken impression that American laws didn't allow drugs manufactured in India or China to compete with American manufacturers.

I still don't think I can order drugs online from Canada, that were manufactured in the US, to be delivered to me cheaper?

Stuff changes.

Pretty much all the prescription drugs you get in the U.S. are manufactured in India.

According to a friend that works for pfizer, manufacturer of most vaccines are done in US.
January 5th, 2019 at 3:32:44 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Generics compete via market sharing, but Oriental companies also cheat on ingredients: dry waii, pet foods, vitamins, etc.
January 5th, 2019 at 4:22:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Last I heard, no. Same as a Canadian cannot come into the USA and buy a Canada build Chrysler cheaper.
The President is a fink.