migration

Page 1 of 212>
January 1st, 2019 at 6:07:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
With more central American caravans forming to head north, should America be legally obligated to allow migrants to cross onto American soil or should America be allowed to refuse entry to anyone.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-new-migrant-caravan-border-wall-funding-aide-guatemala-honduras-el-salvador-twitter-a8702266.html
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 1st, 2019 at 6:32:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
With more central American caravans forming to head north, should America be legally obligated to allow migrants to cross onto American soil or should America be allowed to refuse entry to anyone.

Whatever the law says now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 1st, 2019 at 7:01:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I honestly do not think that there is anyone in government that is in favor of "open borders". I don't think that there is any stable government in the world with "open borders".

I thought the Republicans had a good idea in 1999. I'm sorry it never got out of committee.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.203.4823&rep=rep1&type=pdf
January 1st, 2019 at 7:13:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
I honestly do not think that there is anyone in government that is in favor of "open borders". I don't think that there is any stable government in the world with "open borders".

With open borders a country disappears,
poof.. It loses it's sovereignty (power
and authority) and identity. It becomes
unstable and erupts into chaos.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 2nd, 2019 at 2:04:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Oh, but there actually are people there in favor. It is the last thing they will say, but when you refuse a simple wall and favor sanctuary cities, you are favoring open borders. You are right that there is no stable nation with open borders. The EU has set themselves up for collapse in a generation to two with their current open border policies.

My position is any nation has the right to refuse entry to migrants.
The President is a fink.
January 2nd, 2019 at 12:23:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
My query was mostly to what posters thought of restricting crossing the US border to wait versus being disallowed and made to stay south of our border. If members thought it best to let them cross and be governed by American rules rather than Mexican rules?

Quote:
I thought the Republicans had a good idea in 1999. I'm sorry it never got out of committee.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.203.4823&rep=rep1&type=pdf
I could see nothing in the PDF as regards migration. There were however quite a few references to the Monetary stabilization act, I believe funded by the ESF, otherwise known as the PPT.

Quite a lot there on "dollarization". Not sure if you were offering that when dollars are allowed to be the common currency, if people should be allowed to cross borders as easily?
January 2nd, 2019 at 2:15:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
My query was mostly to what posters thought of restricting crossing the US border to wait versus being disallowed and made to stay south of our border. If members thought it best to let them cross and be governed by American rules rather than Mexican rules?

It is like going to the best place in town without a reservation on a Friday night, expect to wait. If they are under "Mexican Rules" should be of no concern in our decision making process.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2019 at 4:17:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-10/mexico-reinforces-southern-border-new-caravan-begins-northbound-exodus

"December the US Border Patrol apprehended 27,518 people who crossed into the country illegally - the highest monthly total on record, after five months of steadily increasing traffic.

The Trump administration points to those numbers as proof that the situation along the southern border is at "crisis" levels "

That is like half the population of the city I live in, per month. And that is only those apprehended. Seems like a lot of people to a small town guy.
January 10th, 2019 at 5:05:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-10/mexico-reinforces-southern-border-new-caravan-begins-northbound-exodus

"December the US Border Patrol apprehended 27,518 people who crossed into the country illegally -.

Yet the Dems think this is just fine
because Trump is president. Under
Obama it was a crisis.
February 2nd, 2019 at 5:14:03 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

"December the US Border Patrol apprehended 27,518 people who crossed into the country illegally - the highest monthly total on record, after five months of steadily increasing traffic.

The Trump administration points to those numbers as proof that the situation along the southern border is at "crisis" levels "

That is like half the population of the city I live in, per month. And that is only those apprehended. Seems like a lot of people to a small town guy.

I think Trump will use that statistic when he declares a national emergency. In my job surgeons want to declare cases emergencies all the time because it lets them bump the list. We now have cases that are called urgent instead of emergent. I would say we have a "National Urgency", not a National Emergency. Trump's desire for funds for a Wall should not bump the list.
Page 1 of 212>