second tier or old films

January 1st, 2019 at 1:31:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I am opening a thread on second tier films. Films that are clearly not memorable, but they passed a few hours of mindless entertainment.

I watched Rampage and it was just as derivative a film as you could imagine. When Dwayne tells the military "you're making a big mistake", you can know with certainty that he will prove correct.

I thought it was cute that they delayed the appearance of some of the animals so the viewer would be surprised at the latest CGI effect. As if every 15 year old in America has not seen hundreds of CGI creatures.

I would say that it passes as watchable, mostly because Dwayne Johnson remains as charming as ever. Naomi Harris is incredible looking, but she remains PG in this film.

January 1st, 2019 at 4:10:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Old movies: In spite of the fact I sometimes post about one, that I "like them" requires explanation. I can easily loathe an old movie, realizing it's impossible for me after just a few seconds. In almost all cases, it requires tolerance of quaint elements that probably bothered even the slightly sophisticated back in the day. Until recently, a movie had to attract female viewers as it was said the decision to go to a movie as a couple in the old days was made by the woman, while going as couples being very big part of 'who went'. I think you can say women are always women, but back then even more so. What guy hasn't tuned in to an old war movie only to be driven crazy due to the concern over maintaining female interest turning it into more about romance than war? I don't think women expect that today, and wouldn't pick a war movie just to placate the guy either.

Probably a good example of an old movie I wouldn't like is one that featured everyone 'dressed up to go out' in practically every scene.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 1st, 2019 at 5:23:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
PS: they used to make movies where they had toddlers walking around playing adults, and the kids would be in diapers. In diapers! Talk about old movies that are unwatchable! Not sure how many people know even know that today. I tried searching for the topic using google and couldn't find it.
January 1st, 2019 at 7:59:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
sometimes I can get annoyed by running boards or phone calls for a nickel but old movies do have value over today's graphical elements.
January 1st, 2019 at 10:17:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
PS: they used to make movies where they had toddlers walking around playing adults,t.

They still do that. Have people in their
mid to late 20's playing HS students.
I hate when they make teens sound
like 45 year old adults. Full of wisdom
and sophisticated sarcasm. Kids are
still kids today, they ain't that hip.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 1st, 2019 at 10:56:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

"Ready Player One" is another movie with mediocre boxoffice performance, ranked #22 for the year although it clearly looks like it was budgeted expecting to be a top 10 film.

The book seems to have been more clever about incorporating pop-culture references. The movie does as well, but it seems like that has been a craze in movies for the last few years.

I kind of miss the adult Steven Spielberg who made Minority Report, Saving Private Ryan, and Amistad.
Even his thrillers like The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Jaws had some meat to them.

Now I feel like he is just trying to make another E.T.

It's dull in parts, but I am not sorry I watched it. The Lord of the Rings type scenes are actually much more impressive than the real LOTR.
January 1st, 2019 at 11:13:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Pacomartin

This is another movie with mediocre boxoffice performance
title?

check out how many unfinished projects Spielberg has going, amazing

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/?ref_=nv_sr_1