KNathan's Corner

Thread Rating:

June 12th, 2019 at 4:25:51 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Noises you find dreadful in your job? :/

The Catalina Coupon machine out of ink/paper etc is a truly horrid sound.

The register machine out of paper is truly a horrid sound.

The alarm in front of the scanner is a truly horrid sound.

The camera sound in Liquor Department is truly a horrid sound.

The alarm type 1 passing the front sensor s truly a horrid sound

The alarm type 2 passing the front sensor is even worse than alarm type 2. One word to describe this sound is obnoxious.

The overnight alarm of people walking in and out is truly a horrid sound.

The
June 12th, 2019 at 5:12:36 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: KNathan
Noises you find dreadful in your job? :/

The Catalina Coupon machine out of ink/paper etc is a truly horrid sound.

The register machine out of paper is truly a horrid sound.

The alarm in front of the scanner is a truly horrid sound.

The camera sound in Liquor Department is truly a horrid sound.

The alarm type 1 passing the front sensor s truly a horrid sound

The alarm type 2 passing the front sensor is even worse than alarm type 2. One word to describe this sound is obnoxious.

The overnight alarm of people walking in and out is truly a horrid sound.

You think those noises are horrid you should hear the noises I make if I accidentally open more than 1 of your posts a day.

The
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 12th, 2019 at 5:39:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I work out of my home office. That said, I HATE the sound of leaf blowers. You hear them all the time in this neighborhood. Has anybody heard of a rake besides me?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 12th, 2019 at 6:06:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I work out of my home office. That said, I HATE the sound of leaf blowers. You hear them all the time in this neighborhood. Has anybody heard of a rake besides me?

Does Vegas have that many trees that it is an issue? When I was in Phoenix, similar climate, there were not that many. Plus all the developments were new so no mature trees.

FWIW I hear them a bit here but not enough to really bother me. Bigger issue is lawns being mowed until almost 8 PM this time of year, after a rain they have to catch up.
The President is a fink.
June 12th, 2019 at 6:12:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
Does Vegas have that many trees that it is an issue? When I was in Phoenix, similar climate, there were not that many. Plus all the developments were new so no mature trees.

FWIW I hear them a bit here but not enough to really bother me. Bigger issue is lawns being mowed until almost 8 PM this time of year, after a rain they have to catch up.

I live in a neighborhood that has lots of cottonwoods, so there are lots of leaves falling in the late fall. However, the rest of the year they blow cut grass and maybe snips from hedges. I think they just do it to look busy.

I hear in Santa Barbara leaf blowers are against the law. That is something I would vote in favor of.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 13th, 2019 at 1:19:08 AM permalink
KNathan
Quote: Wizard

I don't know. Leaf blowers sound kind of relaxing to me. :) The rake sound is kind of annoying, however. :/
June 13th, 2019 at 1:41:54 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I hate the sound of the beep beep beep beep beep of my microwave alarm if I can't catch it in time, and just be annoyed by the beep beep.

Our last microwave even had an alarm to let you know when you pulled the door open, as if you didn't know you had it in your hand.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 13th, 2019 at 3:48:59 AM permalink
KNathan
Quote: petroglyph
I hate the sound of the beep beep beep beep beep of my microwave alarm if I can't catch it in time, and just be annoyed by the beep beep.

Our last microwave even had an alarm to let you know when you pulled the door open, as if you didn't know you had it in your hand.

Beep beep beep is the truly horrid sounds of most of the dreadful sounds I was talking about!
June 13th, 2019 at 6:34:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Here is a different one. Why do girls/women use the term "girlfriends" for their female friends?

My niece, about age 10, did not understand us using the term in a discussion recently. She insisted that girl/boyfriend was for romantic interests only. I tried telling her that us in the older generation (yeah!) use the term differently. Told her women have girlfriends but men never have "boyfriends." That women use the term both ways and you just use context to understand it.

It was new to her, though so were crank windows on an old car. I wonder if the schools are not influencing this, or maybe just at age 10 or so it has not come up, being something women start using as teens?
The President is a fink.
June 13th, 2019 at 10:02:31 AM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: KNathan
Beep beep beep is the truly horrid sounds of most of the dreadful sounds I was talking about!
We have lots of anoying sounds a work. At one point in time I was going to make a website with all of them. It was even going to include a quiz on what was making the sound.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan