No votes (0%)
1 vote (20%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

November 17th, 2018 at 4:52:23 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
It's a poll, you can vote for more than one, and the question is "do you like the way games are covered with the commentators constantly talking?" Apparently the networks believe it is necessary or people will change the channel.

That should be "less talk" not "lee talk" in that one

I don't believe that. In any case I prefer less talk, much less, therefore I am OK with Jason Witten who is getting nailed as not very good in the eyes of ESPN it seems. Check out the video ... where you get the graphic that says "who's line is it?" they are pointing out spots where any other color man would be yakking away. Admittedly, he makes funny mistakes, but I have to figure he would get better and it's not that big a deal to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIKOa9D2JpQ
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 17th, 2018 at 6:59:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Its a fine line between talk and babble.

No one minds the existence of a color commentator as a bridging mechanism for the 'real' commentator who needs a break and does not have ready access to past statistics or background material.
Broadcasters do not like 'dead air' but sometimes audiences do want some pauses.
November 17th, 2018 at 7:25:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I haven't seriously watched a football game in about 5 years now, but I think it is generational. The younger people are the more they probably appreciate more babble, the older the more they want the announcers to back off a bit. In 1980 NBC had the "silent bowl" with no announcers at all.
The President is a fink.
November 17th, 2018 at 8:00:06 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
As a NY Giants fan you could claim I am biased when it comes to ex-Cowboys calling games but, when Moose Johnston was color commentator for Fox I enjoyed his insights and I think Tony Romo (even though he ousted "The Great" Phil Simms) is excellent on CBS, but Witten, for me, just falls short - he is too robotic - no passion
November 17th, 2018 at 8:14:51 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Fleastiff
Its a fine line between talk and babble.

No one minds the existence of a color commentator as a bridging mechanism for the 'real' commentator who needs a break and does not have ready access to past statistics or background material.
Broadcasters do not like 'dead air' but sometimes audiences do want some pauses.

A good announcer knows when to let the game "breathe" -- especially during a great moment
November 17th, 2018 at 9:32:27 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
We don't watch much nfl anymore. But when we do, there are frequent uses of the mute button. I can't take the constant blather, and stats from outer space.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 17th, 2018 at 4:55:21 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: aceofspades
As a NY Giants fan you could claim I am biased when it comes to ex-Cowboys calling games but, when Moose Johnston was color commentator for Fox I enjoyed his insights and I think Tony Romo (even though he ousted "The Great" Phil Simms) is excellent on CBS, but Witten, for me, just falls short - he is too robotic - no passion

I agree with AoS that Tony Romo is great. He is well informed as to what the coaches and players are thinking, and is a great communicator. You get the sense that he really gets frustrated when the offensive coordinators and QB’s on the field don’t take advantage of mis matches he sees or poor clock management at the end of close games.

Boomer Esiason, Phil Simms and Chris Collinsworth talk too much for my taste. Guys like Booger, or Mike Vick are hard to understand. But even they are better than the women on the sideline who only contribute by finding out if an injured player will return or collecting a dumb sound bite from the coach at halftime.
November 17th, 2018 at 5:16:06 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Ayecarumba
I agree with AoS that Tony Romo is great. He is well informed as to what the coaches and players are thinking, and is a great communicator. You get the sense that he really gets frustrated when the offensive coordinators and QB’s on the field don’t take advantage of mis matches he sees or poor clock management at the end of close games.

Boomer Esiason, Phil Simms and Chris Collinsworth talk too much for my taste. Guys like Booger, or Mike Vick are hard to understand. But even they are better than the women on the sideline who only contribute by finding out if an injured player will return or collecting a dumb sound bite from the coach at halftime.

Are you female shaming? lol
November 17th, 2018 at 6:27:56 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
My recommendation when watching football.
Turn the sound off
Whatever the commentators are saying is totally meaningless
I have eyes.I can see what's going on.
Put some killer music on while watching the game
I recommend Grateful Dead 5/8/77 Barton Hall, SUNY, Binghampton NY.
Fabulous show with Phil Lesh's big bouncy bass lines
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 17th, 2018 at 6:34:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Agreed
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 1 of 212>