2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

January 11th, 2020 at 12:54:21 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
I see a bunch of people I thought long ago stopped 'running'. Bennet, Delaney, Patrick, Williamson.

Do you know what, if any, are the requirements to be considered to be "running for President"? Forms to fill out? Fee paid to anyone? I think technically none of these people are "running for President" yet. Aren't they "running for the Democrat nomination for President?"

By the way, are there any Republicans other than Trump who are 'running'?

None, really. Anyone can run for President provided they meet the Constitutional requirements. Different states have all kinds of varying criteria that gives one the ability to get, or not get, on both Primary and General Election ballots. But, (and proponents of the two-party system LOVE this argument) you could not be on the ballot and still win. If Write-In votes (total) exceed the number of votes for the top vote getting stated candidate, then they would have to tally all the write-in votes.

Of course, to be the President, that can theoretically happen with only one of 538 people voting for you, and that vote doesn't even have to be in the election itself.

I'd still say, "Running for President." Being the Democratic nominee is just a necessary goal to have on the path to the real goal.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 11th, 2020 at 4:21:24 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: aceofspades
Obama has a history of calling his own wife "Michael"
I thought it was Big Mike.
January 12th, 2020 at 1:51:29 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: pew
I thought it was Big Mike.

That's his locker room nickname.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2020 at 6:47:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Some Democrats alarmed at impending all-white debate

Would someone please tell me if the Democrat Party cares about anything other than race? OK, besides hating Trump I guess.

Is this any different than putting a Black character on a TV show just to have one? Remember when Joey briefly was sating a Black girl in "Friends" because some people complained there were no Blacks on "Friends?"

Seems the Democrats run a POTUS debate the same way. Skin color matters to them.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2020 at 6:54:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Some Democrats alarmed at impending all-white debate

Would someone please tell me if the Democrat Party cares about anything other than race? OK, besides hating Trump I guess.

Is this any different than putting a Black character on a TV show just to have one? Remember when Joey briefly was sating a Black girl in "Friends" because some people complained there were no Blacks on "Friends?"

Seems the Democrats run a POTUS debate the same way. Skin color matters to them.

With Steyer in, the mean net worth is over 200 million as well. Too bad Bloomberg didn't qualify.... Would have pushed that number into the billions. It is ironic that among the top 8 2 are billionaires. If it ever narrows down to just Biden and Sanders and Bloomberg the Democrats will be apoplectic!
January 12th, 2020 at 9:20:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO

With Steyer in, the mean net worth is over 200 million as well. Too bad Bloomberg didn't qualify.... Would have pushed that number into the billions. It is ironic that among the top 8 2 are billionaires. If it ever narrows down to just Biden and Sanders and Bloomberg the Democrats will be apoplectic!

Billionaires tend to go liberal once their own wealth is assured. Weird thing, pushing for laws that will keep other people from joining them in being wealthy.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2020 at 9:51:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Meh. I wouldn't worry about Steyer, the media is pretty clearly biased against him. Not that I follow much, but I've yet to ever hear his name without the word, "Billionaire," before it. Bloomberg is doing his level best to just buy the nomination, (anyone else notice how he is, "Mike," all of a sudden? Never in my life before this have I heard anything other than, Michael Bloomberg.) but I don't see Steyer doing that. I've not even seen an ad for him...so, what's his wealth have to do with anything?

Virtue (clap, clap) signal!

Vir-Chu Sig-Nal (clap, clap, clapclapclap)

Vir-Chu Sig-Nal (clap, clap, clapclapclap)
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 12th, 2020 at 9:58:41 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Billionaires tend to go liberal once their own wealth is assured. Weird thing, pushing for laws that will keep other people from joining them in being wealthy.

I don't think that's Steyer. He seemed to have had an epiphany. From regular billionaire to a guy who wanted to change things. He must not have liked himself. I think he is a now capitalism hating guy, so would be bad for America. But I think he at least believes in what he says.
January 12th, 2020 at 10:16:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Billionaires tend to go liberal once their own wealth is assured. .

Went to school with a rich kid who's
dad was 'somebody' in the Reagan
admin. He went to Hwood in the 70's
and became a somewhat successful
producer. And a big Lib. I asked him
at a reunion 20 years ago why he
betrayed his family politics like that.

He said he had no choice, go Lib or
your career dies in Hwood. I asked
he if really believed all that Lib crap
and he said nah, but pretending is
easy. He said most stars become Lib
because the guilt of huge money
is crushing if you weren't born into
it. Turning Lib at least makes you seem
like you care about the little guy, which
of course most of them don't, it's just
an act.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2020 at 10:20:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Went to school with a rich kid who's
dad was 'somebody' in the Reagan
admin. He went to Hwood in the 70's
and became a somewhat successful
producer. And a big Lib. I asked him
at a reunion 20 years ago why he
betrayed his family politics like that.

He said he had no choice, go Lib or
your career dies in Hwood. I asked
he if really believed all that Lib crap
and he said nah, but pretending is
easy. He said most stars become Lib
because the guilt of huge money
is crushing if you weren't born into
it. Turning Lib at least makes you seem
like you care about the little guy, which
of course most of them don't, it's just
an act.

Anyone can be a lib. It takes a grown-up to be a conservative. Conservatives have to tell people what they do not want to hear, reality.
The President is a fink.