If RBG dies

Page 2 of 3<123>
July 14th, 2018 at 6:30:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
There is no way congress is going to approve a conservative judge and leave only Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan as the only liberal judges. If that should happen I think DJT should appoint Hillary so she has to stay out of politics.

What do you think?

I think I have no idea where you get this idea. Why would a GOP congress not approve a constuructionalist judge vs a liberal? There used to be a problem with RINO Specter running the judiciary committee, not so much now.

If RBG and Breyer get replaced with judges more into a strict reading of the Constitution and Thomas gets the same replacement, then things should be good the rest of my life.
The President is a fink.
July 14th, 2018 at 7:53:59 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
She looks frail, but I think that a low body weight is extremely correlated to health and longevity. How many heavy people do you see make it to 85?

The super seniors study doesn't agree Mike. This study looked at seniors who were 85 or older that hadn't had major health issues yet such as stroke, heart attack, diabetes, hyper tension, MS etc. They found those that lived the longest were close to the obese mark but under. You might find the full study interesting. It should show up if you google it Mike buy if you can't find it let me know and I could post a link.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 14th, 2018 at 8:43:35 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: kenarman
The super seniors study doesn't agree Mike. This study looked at seniors who were 85 or older that hadn't had major health issues yet such as stroke, heart attack, diabetes, hyper tension, MS etc. They found those that lived the longest were close to the obese mark but under. You might find the full study interesting. It should show up if you google it Mike buy if you can't find it let me know and I could post a link.

Interesting. I believe you. Well, how about if I rephrase to say that a low body weight in early adulthood is correlated to longevity. However, after 70 or so, you don't want to be too frail and have some meat on your bones. It at least helps if you fall down.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 14th, 2018 at 9:43:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Interesting. I believe you. Well, how about if I rephrase to say that a low body weight in early adulthood is correlated to longevity. However, after 70 or so, you don't want to be too frail and have some meat on your bones. It at least helps if you fall down.

I think substance abuse early in
life, in your 20's and 30's, even
if you quit entirely, has a bad
effect on your organs. They
never really recover and could
easily take 10-15 years off
the end of your life.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 14th, 2018 at 10:20:23 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

I haven't seen the studies which support that but I agree with you. From what I have seen over the years, extra weight early seems to often lead to obese later in life.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 15th, 2018 at 12:35:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You see that Ensure crap all over the place at nursing homes. Elderly people in general lose some of their nutrient absorbing ability(or they don't eat well).

So thinness wouldn't necessarily represent good health but poor nutrition at that age.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 15th, 2018 at 12:48:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
I think I have no idea where you get this idea. Why would a GOP congress not approve a constuructionalist judge vs a liberal? There used to be a problem with RINO Specter running the judiciary committee, not so much now.

If RBG and Breyer get replaced with judges more into a strict reading of the Constitution and Thomas gets the same replacement, then things should be good the rest of my life.

I was under the impression there was a lot the Democrats could do to fight this nomination. I figured they would almost bring down the Senate rather than let RBG be replaced by a conservative judge.

RBG and Breyer were voted in by a surprisingly large majority.

(97–0) Anthony Kennedy
(90–9) David Souter
(52–48) Clarence Thomas
(96–3) Ruth Bader Ginsburg
(87–9) Stephen Breyer
(78–22) John Roberts
(58–42) Samuel Alito
(68–31) Sonia Sotomayor
(63–37) Elena Kagan
(54–45) Neil Gorsuch
July 15th, 2018 at 1:29:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

(97–0) Anthony Kennedy
(90–9) David Souter
(52–48) Clarence Thomas

The Dems sure hated Thomas because
he was a conservative black. He turned
out to be a real force on the court. He
doesn't talk much, but he writes
incredible decisions and the other
justices turn to him for advice all
the time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 15th, 2018 at 4:42:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I was under the impression there was a lot the Democrats could do to fight this nomination. I figured they would almost bring down the Senate rather than let RBG be replaced by a conservative judge.

(96–3) Ruth Bader Ginsburg
(87–9) Stephen Breyer

It is not that surprising. Until recently, the GOP has tended to vote based on qualifications, not ideology. Democrat Borking of any GOP nominee changed the game.
The President is a fink.
July 15th, 2018 at 4:47:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman

I am of the belief that a person naturally will put on a pound or so a year in their mid 30s-mid 50s. Then you level off, but after 60 you drop weight. The body as others said can't absorb nutrition, and you do not eat as much. If you are too overweight you tend to die off in 50s/60s. Otherwise that weight keeps you going in your declining years.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 3<123>