The world inside

Page 2 of 3<123>
June 30th, 2018 at 6:12:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I was told nearly the entire population of Whittier Alaska lives in a single dormitory kind of building.

Only 214 people in the city with a 196 unit condominium.

Completed in 1957, the building has a rectangular plan and a flat roof. It is 14 floors high and is made up of three modules connected together. The north side has two protruding modules that form two square towers. Inside, sets of branched corridors and elevators allow residents access to all areas of the complex.

But keep in mind that it would probably be impossible to build a building like that in the middle of nowhere with private funds. The building was built by the Army and then became civilian housing.

June 30th, 2018 at 6:25:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

Tax funded day care and tax funded schools are very expensive germ factories that impose great costs on factories and medical facilities, but there is no way to get women in the USA to opt for wet diapers and screaming brats instead. Home schooling? No way: Hubby leaves, the noisy brats leave...women have coffee klatches, lunches, spas, lovers, etc. during the day but not hubbies and not brats.

Women who want kids would far rather be at home with the kids. It is other things that have driven them into the workspace. I have been around women who were complaining about it. I agree, the women who want the kids as accessories don't want this, but those women should not be having kids.

Didn't "Brave New World" envision a breeder and child raiser class? The rest to just go about their business.
The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2018 at 7:15:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Didn't "Brave New World" envision a breeder and child raiser class? The rest to just go about their business.

A "freemartin" is a woman who has been deliberately made sterile by exposure to hormones during fetal development; in the book, government policy requires freemartins to comprise 70% of the female population.

SO I guess that it could be said that the remaining 30% is the breeder class.

The population of the world in 1492 was 450 million when large scale mixing among the continents began. It would be interesting to see what an overclass would set as the ideal world population would be if you could control fertility. Right now it is 7483 million, or over 16 times the size it was when Columbus began his voyage.

If you could magically set the fertility at 2, the population would continue to grow as people live longer. Then eventually it would start dropping because of deaths and women who choose not to get pregnant. But if 70% of the women were sterile we would probably have a demographic disaster as most of the population grew old.

The US Census figures that including immigration, the population of China will level off in 8 years. Not counting immigration it will take 10 years.
June 30th, 2018 at 7:46:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
No more of this "honey, I have no idea how that happened!"

Women know when other women pull this, and are more readily suspicious in certain circumstances ... from what I have observed. Some men seem too dumb to figure it out, but no woman outside the situation, but looking in, is ever fooled.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 30th, 2018 at 8:05:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
A "freemartin" is a woman who has been deliberately made sterile by exposure to hormones during fetal development; in the book, government policy requires freemartins to comprise 70% of the female population.

SO I guess that it could be said that the remaining 30% is the breeder class.

I only saw the movie, they had IRC alphas, betas, gammas, and deltas with again IIRC the deltas doing all the child rearing.

Quote:
If you could magically set the fertility at 2, the population would continue to grow as people live longer. Then eventually it would start dropping because of deaths and women who choose not to get pregnant. But if 70% of the women were sterile we would probably have a demographic disaster as most of the population grew old.

Suppose you dropped it to 1/3 as a "breeder class." They would need to have 6-7 children each to maintain population. Even among women who want large families, that is pushing it. The demographic disaster has, however, already started. The USA got there later than everyone else. The next 10-20 years will be good, with lower education and child-raising costs. After that, the drag begins with less labor available.

Quote: odiousgambit
Women know when other women pull this, and are more readily suspicious in certain circumstances ... from what I have observed. Some men seem too dumb to figure it out, but no woman outside the situation, but looking in, is ever fooled.

I estimate 1/3 to 2/3 of men are. Women have always used babies to trap men of course. But now we have the issue that the state will hold up the guy for a huge hunk of his income. Yet too many guys are still too stupid to avoid the trap.
The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2018 at 8:36:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The demographic disaster has, however, already started.

I think roughly half the world lives in countries with total fertility rate at 2.1 or less (nominal "REPLACEMENT LEVEL"). But the other half has some very high rates, so that the world TFR is still above 2.1

But even if you reach TFR="replacement level" your population still grows for many years as the younger people get married.

Some smaller countries like Hungary reached zero population growth about 30 years ago. Now former population leaders like Japan and Russia have joined them. China will be there in 8-10 years.

In the Western Hemisphere only a few of the island countries have reached ZPG, like Puerto Rico and Cuba.
June 30th, 2018 at 9:15:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I think roughly half the world lives in countries with total fertility rate at 2.1 or less (nominal "REPLACEMENT LEVEL"). But the other half has some very high rates, so that the world TFR is still above 2.1

But even if you reach TFR="replacement level" your population still grows for many years as the younger people get married.

Some smaller countries like Hungary reached zero population growth about 30 years ago. Now former population leaders like Japan and Russia have joined them. China will be there in 8-10 years.

In the Western Hemisphere only a few of the island countries have reached ZPG, like Puerto Rico and Cuba.

Most of Europe has been sub-replacement for many years. But what will happen IMHO is when places like Africa have a fertility rate decline it will be much faster as they emulate the west, wheras the west had to pave the way.
The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2018 at 10:57:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The population of the world in 1492 was 450 million when large scale mixing among the continents began. .

I was reading that DNA heritage testing reveals
Europeans with Native American ancestors.
They brought quite a few Indians back to EU
in the 1500's as curiosities.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 30th, 2018 at 2:34:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Only 214 people in the city with a 196 unit condominium.

Completed in 1957, the building has a rectangular plan and a flat roof. It is 14 floors high and is made up of three modules connected together. The north side has two protruding modules that form two square towers. Inside, sets of branched corridors and elevators allow residents access to all areas of the complex.

But keep in mind that it would probably be impossible to build a building like that in the middle of nowhere with private funds. The building was built by the Army and then became civilian housing.

This photo has to be taken from the train depot, [which only goes through the mountain] or from the ferry terminal. The picture shows most of the flat ground suitable for building in Whittier, as you can see the land just shoots right up out of the ocean at the top of Prince William sound, It's steep and rock and the weather is terrible.

The US military built Whittier where it did [and Kodiak] because the weather is so terrible, that they didn't think the Japanese could ever find it because it is socked in so much of the year. The tunnel which was only for short trains was made large about 15 years ago to allow vehicles. Great place to have a boat slip, but terrible weather, even for Alaska to live in.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 30th, 2018 at 2:39:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
but terrible weather, even for Alaska to live in.

Highest rate of hard drug use,
highest alcoholism, highest
suicide. The main prison in AK
is 99% hardcore tattooed white
guys who are very badass gang
members. One of the worst
prisons in the whole country
to do time in.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 3<123>