Intel making first 5G computer

June 16th, 2018 at 3:41:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Intel making first 5th Generation computer. It occurs to me that while it was fairly common 20 years to have a computer that didn't have wi-fi capabilities. Will the next generation computers all be connected to the cellular network?
June 16th, 2018 at 8:23:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
What were the first four? What will the fifth one do?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 16th, 2018 at 9:41:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
What were the first four? What will the fifth one do?

A new generation of cellular standards has appeared approximately every tenth year since 1G systems were introduced in 1981/1982. Each generation is characterized by new frequency bands, higher data rates and non–backward-compatible transmission technology.

1G or (1-G) refers to the first generation of wireless telephone technology (mobile telecommunications). These are the analog telecommunications standards that were introduced in 1979 and the early to mid-1980s and continued until being replaced by 2G digital telecommunications.

You were very unlikely to have a 1-G phone (see Gordon Gecko’s early morning beach stroll in Wall Street in 1986 ).

2G
The main difference between the two mobile telephone systems (1G and 2G), is that the radio signals used by 1G network are analog, while 2G networks are digital.
2G (or 2-G) provides three primary benefits over their predecessors: phone conversations are digitally encrypted; 2G systems are significantly more efficient on the spectrum allowing for far greater mobile phone penetration levels; and 2G introduced data services for mobile, starting with SMS (Short Message Service) plain text-based messages. 2G technologies enable the various mobile phone networks to provide the services such as text messages, picture messages and MMS (Multimedia Message Service). It has 3 main services: Bearer services is one of them which is also known as data services.
Second generation 2G cellular telecom networks were commercially launched on the GSM standard in Finland in 1991.

If you were an early adopted you bought a 2G phone.

3G
3G technology provides an information transfer rate of at least 200 kbit/s. Later 3G releases, often denoted 3.5G and 3.75G, also provide mobile broadband access of several Mbit/s to smartphones and mobile modems in laptop computers. This ensures it can be applied to wireless voice telephony, mobile Internet access, fixed wireless Internet access, video calls and mobile TV technologies.
The first 3G networks were introduced in 1998.

By the 3rd generation mobile phone numbers became more popular than land lines. Many people started using their cell phones to make long distance calls, just using home phones for local calls. Shortly after that many just cancelled their landlines altogether.

4G
4G provides, in addition to the usual voice and other services of 3G, mobile broadband Internet access, for example to laptops with wireless modems, to smartphones, and to other mobile devices. Potential and current applications include amended mobile web access, IP telephony, gaming services, high-definition mobile TV, video conferencing, 3D television, and cloud computing. Fourth generation 4G networks in 2008. Marketing forever linked the term 4G with LTE (long term evolution)

5G
5G is a generation currently under development. It denotes the next major phase of mobile telecommunications standards beyond the current 4G/IMT-Advanced standards
NGMN Alliance or Next Generation Mobile Networks Alliance define 5G network requirements as:
Data rates of several tens of Mb/s should be supported for tens of thousands of users.
1 Gbit/s to be offered, simultaneously to tens of workers on the same office floor.
Several hundreds of thousands of simultaneous connections to be supported for massive sensor deployments.
Spectral efficiency should be significantly enhanced compared to 4G.
Coverage should be improved.
Signalling efficiency enhanced.
Latency should be significantly reduced compared to LTE.

Next Generation Mobile Networks Alliance feel that 5G should be rolled out by 2020 to meet business and consumer demands. In addition to simply providing faster speeds, they predict that 5G networks will also need to meet the needs of new use-cases such as the Internet of Things as well as broadcast-like services and lifeline communications in times of disaster.

The fifth generation has the somewhat shocking societal implications. People can be almost permanently connected and walking around will be able to access computing power that you used to have to go to an office. Television may have no connection whatsoever to a room in your house. Movies may take a nosedive in popularity as teenagers will be able to park their car and not even have to seek out wifi.

June 17th, 2018 at 3:50:12 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
That was my first cell phone. It started bothering my back at the end of the day hooked onto my belt. I usually only used it while on the job.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 17th, 2018 at 5:47:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: kenarman
That was my first cell phone. It started bothering my back at the end of the day hooked onto my belt. I usually only used it while on the job.

They cost $4K when they went on sale in March 13 1984? That is $10K inflation adjusted. I wonder what the monthly service charge was back then.

Quote: http://www.slate.com/culture/2018/06/netflix-shows-about-teen-psychiatric-illness-arent-telling-the-whole-story.html

Gordon Gekko’s Cell Phone
By Sara Breselor

The first film to feature the 8000X was Sixteen Candles, in 1984. Molly Ringwald's wealthy love interest had one in his father's Rolls Royce. Zack Morris had one on Saved by the Bell, and American Psycho, set in late-'80s New York, featured investment banker Patrick Bateman chatting on a his DynaTac in a dress shirt, tie and dark glasses.

How many real people used the Brick? A lot, despite the daunting price tag. In 1984, there were 91,600 cellular service subscribers in the United States, and the only mobile phone available was the DynaTac 8000x. By the end of 1985, the number of subscribers had jumped to 340,213. Motorola had waiting lists in the thousands. Fashion changed along with technology: smaller batteries and components made for sleeker phones, and Motorola came out with the considerably more petite MicroTac in 1989.

1979 car phone
June 17th, 2018 at 7:37:03 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I think my first 'brick' phone was a Motorola Mobile F09LFD8435AG. I paid about C$1000 for it sometime in the mid 90's. In think the cell bill was about $300 a month. It wouldn't have been 1st generation because my small town was several years behind the curve on getting a cell tower. 1st tower was relatively short and just put on the roof of the telephone companies office.

The first portable phone I saw was basically a fixed style radio telephone in a briefcase with a 2nd briefcase holding the battery, over 50 lbs of gear.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 17th, 2018 at 11:23:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: kenarman
I think my first 'brick' phone was a Motorola Mobile F09LFD8435AG. I paid about C$1000 for it sometime in the mid 90's. In think the cell bill was about $300 a month. It wouldn't have been 1st generation because my small town was several years behind the curve on getting a cell tower. 1st tower was relatively short and just put on the roof of the telephone companies office.

Well the first 2nd generation system was established in 1991, but it wasn't until at least 1995 that the CDMA standard was firmly established in the USA. I could see it taking a few years after that to get into each town.

The NOKIA 3210 phone came out in 1999 and sold 160 million phones