Is your red my red?

May 19th, 2018 at 7:49:06 AM permalink
GwoAE
Threads: 4
There are 2 items that are my wonders of life. This is the first one and I will have another thread for the second one.

In short, do we all see the same colors?

When we are being taught things we are taught colors. So we all know an apple is red. I know there are color blind people but I am not talking about that, we are assuming everyone sees colors. So anyways, back to the apple. An apple is red. BUT.. is the red that I see the same as you see? The sky is blue.. but if I were to jump into your body would I be like, wtf why is the sky red?

Not sure there is ever a way to prove or disprove such a thing.
May 19th, 2018 at 9:36:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: GwoAE
There are 2 items that are my wonders of life. This is the first one and I will have another thread for the second one.

When we are being taught things we are taught colors. So we all know an apple is red. I know there are color blind people but I am not talking about that, we are assuming everyone sees colors. So anyways, back to the apple. An apple is red. BUT.. is the red that I see the same as you see? The sky is blue.. but if I were to jump into your body would I be like, wtf why is the sky red?

This depends. Women see color more vibrant than men. I explained it at the office once, some women wondered if I was being sexist. Men are 10Xs more color-blind than women, meaning women see more color in general. Dogs see just a grey apple as they see no color. An insect sees the infared and ultraviolet given off.
The President is a fink.
May 19th, 2018 at 10:03:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Lots of ways. One is with crayons. Show
green and have the group combine
colors until it's close to the shade of
green shown. If everybody uses the
same crayons to get the color, they're
all seeing the same thing. If one of
them uses the crayons that produce
orange, that's would be your first clue.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 19th, 2018 at 10:24:41 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Eyes are not something that evolved and got used by many creatures.
Organisms developed and survived.
Various types of eyes exist just as various types of eye brain communication exist.
Some creatures see different ranges of frequencies.
Many creatures see in black and white and this is why many medical monitors show black and white for extremely fine detail detection.
Many creatures have to see patterns to avoid predators since so much in nature is camouflaged. That is why hunters with poor vision can often do very well.

Many insects appear to be developing color vision, not just black and white. Perhaps its one of nature's great arms races?

People can have various degrees of sensory cross talk so that a red fence might taste salty to a person with synthesia.

As to actual hues, the human eye is not all that attuned to slight differences but many artists loved The Amiga computer for its 88 million colors or something like that figure.

And always remember that a leaf in the fall does not change colors. Those colors were always there, they just lose the chlorophyll that gave them the overall green coloring and are revealing what was already their color.
May 19th, 2018 at 12:00:08 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

I think it has to be pretty close between most people.

Color are frequencies and temperatures, and your eyes are basically frequency counters, able to detect and relay to the brain the frequencies that it sees, relative to one another, with their range of sensitivity and detection.

However, that isn't really your question.

I think it wouldn't, because of how people perceive beauty and art. If the color were all swapped around for different people, would the same things look good for them? I don't think colors clash or go well together because of the difference in relative frequency between them, but instead by some other measure, and since similar things appeal to many people, they probably perceive things in a very similar way.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 19th, 2018 at 3:35:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
I think it has to be pretty close between most people..

Of course it is. This has been tested
infinitum, they know most people
see the same color as everybody
else.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 19th, 2018 at 4:05:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 19th, 2018 at 4:17:38 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
That's hilarious.
May 20th, 2018 at 2:08:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: pew