vacation in central china

May 13th, 2018 at 12:18:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It is no secret that the rise of Chinese travelers is fueling a boom in air travel in and around Asia - the number of overseas trips made by Chinese residents grew 1,380 per cent from 2000 to 2017 - but China Southern is also seeing an increase in the number of western and British holidaymakers flying to China.

“In 2013/14 the flight to Guangzhou might be 75 per cent Chinese passport holders,” he said. “In 2017 this was down to 51 per cent, so it’s about 50:50 now.”

China Southern Airlines is giving free upgrades to premium plus to their new service Wuhan to London. They already have service to San Francisco

United, American, and Delta fly to Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai
Hawaiian Airlines flies only to Beijing less than daily

In addition flights to other cities than Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai
United Air Lines Inc. Hangzhou, Chengdu, Xi'an
Delta Air Lines Inc. Hangzhou
China Eastern Airlines Nanjing, Qingdao
China Southern Airlines Guangzhou, Wuhan
Hainan Airlines Changsha, Chengdu,Chongqing
Sichuan Airlines Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Jinan
Xiamen Airlines Fuzhou, Shenzhen, Xiamen

Chinese Airlines are flying just as many seats to USA from China, as Japanese airlines are flying from Japan to USA.

US flagged airlines are still far more likely to fly to Japan than China.
May 13th, 2018 at 4:43:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Businessmen fly, tourists fly, missionaries fly, teachers fly, but I can't think of any reason why people would want to go to rural China. Maybe there really is a booming business out there somewhere but the only people I know still write off China as a place where pilots have to make unauthorized deviation around weather because ATC never authorizes deviations without a memo from party headquarters ten days in advance. And as for Chinese restaurants its still "If you know, don't tell. If you don't know, don't ask. And whatever you do, don't go into the kitchen."

I know they are building dams and selling mining concessions but how many passengers would that ever bring in?
May 13th, 2018 at 7:25:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Businessmen fly, tourists fly, missionaries fly, teachers fly, but I can't think of any reason why people would want to go to rural China.

The US flag carriers all fly RED AIRPORT ON MAP BELOW to HKG (Hong Kong), PEK (Beijing), and PVG (Shanghai)
HGH (Hanghzhou) is only 100 miles from Shanghai, but is more popular as a tourist destination. United and Delta both go there
United also goes to the Inland airports CTU and XIY but probably most people go there for business.

But the US flag carriers fly twice as many seats to Japan and S Korea as they do to China and Hong Kong.

The Chinese carriers are trying to encourage tourism into the less well known parts of China (So 10 additional airports nonstops from USA BLACK AIRPORTS ON MAP)

CAN AIP Guangzhou (Canton) [Baiyun], 44, CN
SZX AIP Shenzhen (Zhenzhen) [Shenzhen Bao'an Intl (Shenzhen Huangtian Airport)], 44, CN
FOC AIP Fuzhou [Changle Airport], 35, CN
XMN AIP Xiamen [Gaoqi Intl], 35, CN

CKG AIP Chongqing [Jiangbei Airport], 50, CN
WUH AIP Wuhan [Wuhan Tianhe Intl], 42, CN

NKG AIP Nanjing [Nanjing Lukou Intl], 32, CN
TAO AIP Qingdao [Liuting Intl], 37, CN
CZX GCMAP Changzhou, 32, CN
TNA AIP Jinan [Yaoqiang Intl], 37, CN
May 13th, 2018 at 7:36:03 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Flea--- Terracotta Warriors. Panda sanctuary. Cruise down Yangtzee. Less travelled Great Wall areas.
It was a great trip. Tibet after. Start in Beijing. End in Hong Kong. All great for tourists.
May 14th, 2018 at 8:10:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: SOOPOO
Flea--- Terracotta Warriors. Panda sanctuary. Cruise down Yangtzee. Less travelled Great Wall areas.
It was a great trip. Tibet after. Start in Beijing. End in Hong Kong. All great for tourists.
I had no idea that there would be such an interest on the part of Westerners to visit China and that the Chines would have the infrastructure and attitudes necessary to support such a tourism industry. Truly shocking to me.
May 14th, 2018 at 8:10:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I've heard a great deal of scams on tourists: inflated prices. included lunches that are miserable and scant unless you order the 'extra' items, etc. etc.

I guess that can happen anywhere though.
May 14th, 2018 at 1:10:34 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff
I've heard a great deal of scams on tourists: inflated prices. included lunches that are miserable and scant unless you order the 'extra' items, etc. etc.

I guess that can happen anywhere though.

I used a tour company called OAT. HIGHLY recommend them. They delivered on all promises and exceeded expectations on food quality, hotel quality, etc....