Myths

Page 1 of 212>
April 23rd, 2018 at 9:48:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm on a mythology kick on Audible. I'll be posting observations and questions here.

Question: do myths from one culture ever mention deities of another?

I think parts of the Moses myth mention Egyptian gods. It certainly shows Pharaoh's magicians performing miracles.

Offhand, I can't think of any other.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 23rd, 2018 at 10:39:17 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Nareed
I'm on a mythology kick on Audible. I'll be posting observations and questions here.

I think parts of the Moses myth mention Egyptian gods. It certainly shows Pharaoh's magicians performing miracles.

Offhand, I can't think of any other.

Jesus is discussed in the Koran. They reject his divinity, but consider him the messenger of God prior to Mohammed.

Nor sure that really fits your definition of myths for this purpose, though.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 23rd, 2018 at 1:02:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The obvious answer to that is the Roman and Greek gods. But since you are well read on this topic, I must assume you are asking this question rhetorically.

Interpretatio graeca (Latin, "Greek translation" or "interpretation by means of Greek [models]") is a discourse in which ancient Greek religious concepts and practices, deities, and myths are used to interpret or attempt to understand the mythology and religion of other cultures. It is thus a comparative methodology that looks for equivalencies and shared characteristics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretatio_graeca
April 23rd, 2018 at 1:45:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't think one has to focus on deities. Just consider things such as those Irish laborers who all died of cholera building the Pennsylvania Railroad. Their deaths were memorialized in song and only later did forensic excavation expose the skeletons, bullet and bayonette wounds. Experiences vary, modes of communication vary and permanence can be rare in an oral history. Travelers from a far off land often bring a variety of tales, foods, goods and traditions. In the telling and re-telling of tales there is always embellishment.
April 23rd, 2018 at 1:47:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The obvious answer to that is the Roman and Greek gods. But since you are well read on this topic, I must assume you are asking this question rhetorically.

The Romans borrowed a lot of Greek mythology and incorporated it to their own culture, sometimes with modifications (they were the original Borg <w>). So Greek gods, often with Latin names, appear all over Roman myths.

But what I meant is whether a Greek myth, for example, even mentions, never mind shows, say an Egyptian, Babylonian, Sumerian, Persian or other god. I can't recall one.
April 23rd, 2018 at 2:46:42 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Even if early versions of a tale dis use the name of a foreign god (unlikely) later retellings would surely have altered it to the names of a local god well prior to being reduced to writing.
April 24th, 2018 at 2:39:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Romans borrowed a lot of Greek mythology and incorporated it to their own culture, sometimes with modifications (they were the original Borg <w>). So Greek gods, often with Latin names, appear all over Roman myths.

But what I meant is whether a Greek myth, for example, even mentions, never mind shows, say an Egyptian, Babylonian, Sumerian, Persian or other god. I can't recall one.

This painting is from the Temple of Isis in Pompei. Isis was a major goddess in ancient Egyptian religion whose worship spread throughout the Greco-Roman world. Isis was first mentioned in the Old Kingdom (c. 2686–2181 BCE).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis

She is clearly greeting, Io, the woman in Greek mythology who has horns on her head. In the painting below Io is more feminine than in the above picture where
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Io_(mythology)

April 24th, 2018 at 7:05:45 AM permalink
Nareed
This painting is from the Temple of Isis in Pompei. Isis was a major goddess in ancient Egyptian religion whose worship spread throughout the Greco-Roman world. Isis was first mentioned in the Old Kingdom (c. 2686–2181 BCE).

I wonder if archaeologists and historians are troubled by how much of their knowledge of Pompeii and Rome they owe to a terrible tragedy...

Anyway, the adoption of foreign gods was a common practice. So was syncretism, the amalgamation of religious beliefs and practices. Which just makes the absence of foreign gods in mythology all the more puzzling.

Isis was the consort of Osiris, also goddess of magic. Cleopatra at times claimed to be the incarnation of Isis.
April 24th, 2018 at 3:47:22 PM permalink
Nareed

Interesting painting. I can't tell you what it depicts, as I'm unfamiliar with the scene. But you'll notice Isis has a cobra wrapped around her arm. Egyptian kings wore a crown with a cobra on it, front and center, known as the Uraeus. It was a depiction of the goddess Wadjet, and it signified her protection. A cobra is venomous, and the idea is the goddess as serpent would strike at the king's enemies.

It's a Roman painting, so the cobra probably doesn't represent Wadjet. But it probably does guard or protect Isis.
April 24th, 2018 at 5:11:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Even if early versions of a tale dis use the name of a foreign god (unlikely)

It gains you nothing to name other
gods. Even the 10 commandments
just say 'other gods' and never actually
names any. You don't want to give
any cred to a competing god.

Look at TV commercials. Very seldom
does an ad for a product mention
a competing product. It's best to act
like they don't even exist and your
product (god) stands alone.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 212>