the wave of rich Americans looking
for down on their luck royalty in
Europe to marry their daughters
off to.

I'm reading the book the Julian Fellows
read that gave him the idea for
Downton Abby. It's a history of all
the debutantes that married into
EU titles. It's really fascinating stuff.
Americans craved acceptance into
that realm of society and money
alone couldn't buy it. But you're
in like Flint if your daughter is
now a countess married to a Brit
duke.

In like flint? Never heard that saying. Are you referring to the movie in the 60s of that name? Always thought the saying was “in like Flynn” referring to Errol Flynn’s legendary ability with the ladies.
April 12th, 2018 at 5:15:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Aussie
In like flint?

I was making a joke, I keep
forgetting there are foreigners
here. Never mind..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 12th, 2018 at 5:16:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
After the Civil War? Why then? After the Revolution, I can see it.

America acquired a lot of land very quickly from the Louisiana purchase, the purchase of Florida, the Indian Wars, the wars in Texas and most notably the war with Mexico. Russia also had strong claims in the American Northwest. Although Canada never had a very large population, the South was obsessed with growing the country so that the number of free and slave states remained equal. Canada would have thrown the balance even more towards slave states.With the slavery issue settled by the civil war, that was no longer an issue.

The Annexation Bill of 1866 was a bill introduced on July 2, 1866, but never passed in the United States House of Representatives. It called for the annexation of British North America and the admission of its provinces as states and territories in the Union. The bill was sent to committee but never came back, was never voted upon, and did not become law. The bill never came to the United States Senate.

The Alaska Purchase was finalized on March 30, 1867 and there was a strong movement to take over Vancouver,

The Constitution Act officially proclaimed Canadian Confederation on July 1, 1867, initially with four provinces: Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick. The first official census of Canada was in 1871, yielded a population count around 3.7 million, slightly less than that of the USA first census in 1790.
April 12th, 2018 at 5:21:32 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Agree, on "In like Flynn". My understanding is, you are completely correct.

Re: Edward VIII. The issue was, the sovereign is not just head of state, they are head of Church of England. It was a double standard that lasted until Diana; to marry the King and bear future kings, the woman was supposed to be a virgin. Diana was examined for it; her older sister, whom Charles dated and liked better by all reports, was not, so she was eliminated. Camilla was unsuitable for the same reasons, and had married early after she and Charles broke up for the first time .

Wallis was twice-divorced with 2 living ex-husbands. Edward could not marry her in the Church unless both exes were dead. There was some question as to whether any children from that line would be allowed to rule, as well, because of the previous marriages. She also was not royal enough for those days - she had a small amount of ancestry, but they weren't satisfied.

Edward's long time valet/butler/body man said of him that he stopped emotional development at about age 13 or 14, and never matured, so those saying he was unsuited are probably onto something.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 12th, 2018 at 5:21:40 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
I was making a joke, I keep
forgetting there are foreigners
here. Never mind..

No, I get the joke. But as far as I’m aware the saying is not “in like flint”, it’s “in like Flynn”. Its probably like when people say “for all intensive purposes” when the actual saying is “for all intents and purposes”. All good, a common mistake. :)
April 12th, 2018 at 9:13:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
Camilla was unsuitable for the same reasons, and had married early after she and Charles broke up for the first time .

When she was still a teen, Camilla met Andrew Parker Bowles‍, who was older and a known womanizer. I think there is a very good chance she may have only slept with two men in her life. Andrew also dated Princess Anne. The photo shows Camilla on her wedding day to Andrew in 1973.

The young Lady Amanda Patricia Victoria Ellingworth (née Knatchbull; born 26 June 1957) , Prince Charles second cousin, was chosen by the family to be Charle's future bride about the time Camilla got married to be a prospective bridge for Charles (born 14 November 1948). At the time she was too young for Charles to actually date her, but he was supposed sow his oats for a few years.

Charles did not propose to Lady Amanda until after her grandfather was killed by an IRA bomb on 27 August 1979. Amanda lost a grandfather, a grandmother and a younger brother in the bombing, and she was no longer interested in a public life as a Queen consort. By this point Charles was age 31 and under some pressure to get married.

Anne Hyde was probably the most scandalous bride of a future monarch in the past few hundred years. She was 7 months pregnant on her wedding day to James, the second son of Charles I. She died before becoming Queen consort, but her only two daughters who survived past infancy would become Monarchs, Queen Mary and Queen Anne.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Anne_Hyde_by_Sir_Peter_Lely.JPG/220px-Anne_Hyde_by_Sir_Peter_Lely.JPG
April 12th, 2018 at 10:16:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I think there is a very good chance she may have only slept with two men in her life.

Looking at her, it's surprising she got
that many..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 12th, 2018 at 10:56:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Queen Elizabeth II turns 92 this year, and Prince Charles turns 70. Personally, I think that Charles should plan on abdicating when William turns age 50 in 15 years. The odds of QEII living another 15 years are fairly slim, but Charles's reign will be relatively short.

In turn William should abdicate when Prince George turns 50, as he will be in his early 80s.

I know it is tradition for a British monarch to serve until death, but in this day and age it seems ridiculous.
April 13th, 2018 at 6:31:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I know it is tradition for a British monarch to serve until death, but in this day and age it seems ridiculous.

Doesn't monarchy in this day and age seem ridiculous?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 13th, 2018 at 5:06:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

The whole royal family is ridiculous. They accomplish nothing except showing up to ceremonial functions. What difference does it make what age the king/queen is?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »