Brand Loyalty

Page 2 of 3<123>
March 1st, 2018 at 6:27:22 AM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: gamerfreak
...The conspiracy: Coke knew exactly what was going to happen. They decided to go through with this decision since they knew they could cut costs by switching from cane sugar to corn syrup in their drinks. However, they feared everyone would notice the change. Coke decided to release New Coke and then switch back to the "original" coke which was now made with corn syrup, but it would be much less obvious for consumers to notice.

Now this is the first conspiracy theory I ever liked!
March 1st, 2018 at 6:53:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Brands?

It used to be that some products were quality control rejects from a named brand and were sold under a different label.
Or there were stores such as Big Lots which were owned by a more upscale chain, Williams Sonoma.

Now its all pretty much the same assembly line but different packaging or the off label has a tad bit more sugar in it and uses a different dough conditioner or something.

Advertising induced brand loyalty? Sure. I'd buy soap from that company that advertises its soap is recommended (by Strikers) for washing other soaps when they get dirty. Such humorous claims should be rewarded. I remember the old Bert and Harry Piel ads. And who can forget (oops memory lapse) that Gallo Wine Cooler that came up with a distinctively packaged four pack and two guys one of whom never spoke and the other had written away for a Harvard MBA by mail and was painting their second truck.

Callard and Bowsers for cosmetics for girls gifts.

Victoria secret or Fredricks of Hollywood for other types of gifts.

Everyone seems to prefer Blue Bell Ice cream even though its full of chemicals, I prefer hagen Daz even though its a made up name, it has good ingredients.
You all know I like to drink that exotic beer from Finland even though its not really picked by GAP year students and much of the research on it was faked in the late thirties by British intelligence. I tend to prefer USA origin produce though I have no idea of what pesticide residue there might be. Most of those American sounding names are trademarked by United Fruit in Panama.

Limoncello prices vary but the mid price range tastes best to me. Guiness is great but tastes like motor oil. yet I'm addicted to Guinness and the Taddy Porter. Never thought oatmeal stouts would be so great.

I know Miracle whip ain't mayonnaise and that Velveeta is Cheese Food but not cheese. I knew Pam Spray was not fat free at all even as a tenth grader.

I'm not really brand loyal but I guess I would say that I am often Brand Aware.
March 1st, 2018 at 9:17:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: gamerfreak
New Coke was introduced in April 1985 by the Coca-Cola Company to replace the original formula of its famous soft drink Coca-Cola. People hated the new flavor and were outraged about the change, so Coke quickly went back to making the original flavor. Many people consider this one of the worst business decisions ever.

The conspiracy: Coke knew exactly what was going to happen. They decided to go through with this decision since they knew they could cut costs by switching from cane sugar to corn syrup in their drinks. However, they feared everyone would notice the change. Coke decided to release New Coke and then switch back to the "original" coke which was now made with corn syrup, but it would be much less obvious for consumers to notice.

In reality they had already switched to corn syrup. Another theory is that people would miss the old Coke so much that they would clamor for it and love it when it came back.

Reality is Coke was losing ground to Pepsi for years in places where people had a choice. Some MBAs decided to make it taste more like Pepsi, not understanding real world business as MBAs so often do not. It was like when Ford wanted to make the Mustang a little FWD Coupe that later became the Probe. Ford got tons of letters and market research saying, "If I wanted a Japanese little coupe I'd buy one, I WANT A MUSTANG!"
The President is a fink.
March 1st, 2018 at 10:40:51 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
I have a short list of tire brands I'll buy, despite favorable test results and reviews of other brands. You can show me gigs of data proving that Hankook or Yokahama are great tires, and I might believe it. However when it's time to lay my credit card down and asure my family's safety, I'll pick the best from the brands I grew up with. I'm not claiming it's rational.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 1st, 2018 at 10:50:43 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DRich
I would be interested in items in which members have brand loyalty.

In general I am rather frugal and don't have many items that brand loyalty is important to me. There are two exceptions that I can think of. I will not buy any peanut butter other than JIF or any microwave popcorn besides Orville Redenbacher. Those are just two things that I have not found any other brand that I think even comes close to my tastes.

I'm with you on JIF peanut butter. Nothing else compares.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 1st, 2018 at 2:22:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: ams288
I'm with you on JIF peanut butter. Nothing else compares.
There is a standard of identity for peanut butter only a certain amount of lard can be added which is then sold by weight as if it were peanuts. Health food stores tend to grind their own. Unusual taste.
March 1st, 2018 at 5:03:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
I would be interested in items in which members have brand loyalty.

Other than Diet Coke? I'll drink Diet Pepsi only of Coke isn't available, but I always do the Doc joke about it.

I had a very deep preference for Interjet over other airlines. Still, I shopped on price. Interjet always came out on top, or bottom, of the price pile anyway. they also have better seats (more legroom), adn I thought better service.

I haven't flown in the past two years, though. I've searched for flights and done check-in for several people at the office. Based on that, I like Interjet less than I used to. They came up with bundled fares, one of which is like Basic Economy, and you can't get a boarding pass in advance. That's no small matter when you have a 6-7 am flight and have to get there 2 hours before departure rather than 40 minutes.

And today I found out you can't get a boarding pass in advance, regardless of fare bundle, if someone in your reservation is an infant, disabled, or over 65.

WTF.

You just need to get the crying baby, the special needs passenger, and the old people earlier to the airport so they can spend more time waiting in a stressful, uncomfortable environment, right?

Seriously, W.T.F.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 1st, 2018 at 5:37:35 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Fleastiff
And who can forget (oops memory lapse) that Gallo Wine Cooler that came up with a distinctively packaged four pack and two guys one of whom never spoke and the other had written away for a Harvard MBA by mail and was painting their second truck.

Bartles & Jaymes. I remember the orange flavored California Cooler was all the high school girls would drink, then B&J came along with a variety of fruity flavors. Sure beat Boones Farms Tickle Pink.

Miracle Whip is NOT mayonnaise. Consumer Reports and Cooks Illustrated both say Best Foods makes the best nationwide mayo, (aka Hellmann's east of the Rockies) but if you live in the south, get Blue Plate.
March 1st, 2018 at 5:54:17 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: zippyboy
Bartles & Jaymes. I remember the orange flavored California Cooler was all the high school girls would drink, then B&J came along with a variety of fruity flavors. Sure beat Boones Farms Tickle Pink.
It was pure upscale packaging and name rather than Gallo wine cooler. It was terrible and adman who came up with it tested hundreds of products and saw no way to differentiate the product as a beverage.
March 1st, 2018 at 5:55:50 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: zippyboy

Miracle Whip is NOT mayonnaise. Consumer Reports and Cooks Illustrated both say Best Foods makes the best nationwide mayo, (aka Hellmann's east of the Rockies) but if you live in the south, get Blue Plate.

You don't miss the days of "ripple"?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 3<123>