Stockton UBI experiment

Page 2 of 5<12345>
March 4th, 2021 at 1:21:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Results are in.

Results are in? Where does it show how to pay for this? How you can give everyone X per month without taking X+Y back?

I will say it again. Anyone who needs a study to show if free money makes people happy is an idiot unqualified for any job requiring any brain skill at all. PERIOD.
The President is a fink.
March 4th, 2021 at 1:49:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Results are in? Where does it show how to pay for this? How you can give everyone X per month without taking X+Y back?

I will say it again. Anyone who needs a study to show if free money makes people happy is an idiot unqualified for any job requiring any brain skill at all. PERIOD.

It reminds me of when someone says.... Player X should DEFINITELY have been an all star. Ok.... which of the 15 selected all stars should NOT be an all star to make room for Player X? Rarely do you get a coherent answer.

Same with any 'new program'. What other program will be eliminated or cut, or what taxes will be raised to pay for it? The answer universally is "I will eliminate fraud and cut wasteful spending...", as if they shouldn't be doing that already!

Just asking.... will I be eligible for UBI as a guy with $X,XXX,XXX in the bank who is now retired?
March 4th, 2021 at 2:03:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
It reminds me of when someone says.... Player X should DEFINITELY have been an all star. Ok.... which of the 15 selected all stars should NOT be an all star to make room for Player X? Rarely do you get a coherent answer.

Same with any 'new program'. What other program will be eliminated or cut, or what taxes will be raised to pay for it? The answer universally is "I will eliminate fraud and cut wasteful spending...", as if they shouldn't be doing that already!

Just asking.... will I be eligible for UBI as a guy with $X,XXX,XXX in the bank who is now retired?

YOU should receive 1 billion dollars as I'm sure you'd make good use of it.

Regardless of what you think about it, Silicone valley seems to be thinking the demise of most jobs anyway, as was pointed out in my original post.

Quote:
It’s no accident that much of the support for UBI comes from Silicon Valley, where the potential for mass unemployment is starker than most other places in the U.S. Major companies there are in neck-to-neck competition to create labor-saving technologies — such as self-driving cars — that will inevitably replace greater numbers of humans with automation and robots.

Aside from the self-driving car prediction, it's a dire forecast for most employment.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 4th, 2021 at 2:23:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

This is actually detailed in many proposals. One proposal is the eliminate all entitlements and replace it would a blanket UBI (generally this does not include social security or Medicare).

The other option is a value added tax. Or a federal sales tax.

There are also hybrid proposals where you can opt-in to UBI which would exclude you from Federal Welfare programs -so they would be drastically cut and slowly phased out- (so you would have to pick to stay on current programs or UBI) and a VAT tax to supplement the difference (this was basically Yang's proposal).

So yes, people are very open about what programs to cut and what taxes would be raised. But, yes you would also be eligible under most proposals, there is not an upper income threshold.

Nixon was probably the closest President to support something like UBI, with his negative income tax proposal (that would only payout to low income individuals), of course it never passed. But very few modern proposals have income limits, or are on the negative income tax model.
March 4th, 2021 at 2:29:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Is 30 trillion to pump up Wall Street not enough?

"What this new banking model has also done is to allow these mega “banks” on Wall Street to create the greatest income and wealth inequality in the U.S. since the late 1920s (before the passage of the Glass-Steagall Act in 1933) by using the super cheap money from the Fed to buy back their own stock, pump up their share prices, and then reward their top executives with millions of shares of inflated stock." https://wallstreetonparade.com/2019/10/federal-reserve-spokesman-explains-how-it-creates-money-out-of-thin-air-to-pump-out-to-wall-street/

https://wallstreetonparade.com/2021/03/more-than-a-year-later-americans-have-no-idea-where-9-trillion-of-fed-money-went/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 4th, 2021 at 2:43:51 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
Is 30 trillion to pump up Wall Street not enough?

"What this new banking model has also done is to allow these mega “banks” on Wall Street to create the greatest income and wealth inequality in the U.S. since the late 1920s (before the passage of the Glass-Steagall Act in 1933) by using the super cheap money from the Fed to buy back their own stock, pump up their share prices, and then reward their top executives with millions of shares of inflated stock." https://wallstreetonparade.com/2019/10/federal-reserve-spokesman-explains-how-it-creates-money-out-of-thin-air-to-pump-out-to-wall-street/

https://wallstreetonparade.com/2021/03/more-than-a-year-later-americans-have-no-idea-where-9-trillion-of-fed-money-went/

Sounds like I get both.
March 4th, 2021 at 3:08:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Sounds like I get both.
A CPA advised us not to file our taxes, thinking we might "bracket out" of any stimmy checks? She said because we don't owe taxes for last year, we don't have to file, and if we file we could be over some threshold?

We received notice yesterday of another 1200 deposit.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 4th, 2021 at 3:20:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Aside from the self-driving car prediction, it's a dire forecast for most employment.

I have been hearing the same dire employment predictions all my life. New jobs will replace the old. They always do.
The President is a fink.
March 4th, 2021 at 3:22:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
This is actually detailed in many proposals. One proposal is the eliminate all entitlements and replace it would a blanket UBI (generally this does not include social security or Medicare).

The other option is a value added tax. Or a federal sales tax.

So, a new tax that eats up all of the UBI you get?

Anyone who thinks that will work is the kind of person who when asked what to do with a pile of dirt says, "JUST DIG A BIG HOLE AND BURY IT!"

And will get the same results.
The President is a fink.
March 4th, 2021 at 4:26:13 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

As Gandler already mentioned, I think all, or nearly all, assistance ‘programs’ should be replaced with UBI.
Page 2 of 5<12345>