Shutdown

Page 1 of 71234>Last »
January 19th, 2018 at 9:16:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Truthfully, I don't know who is going to get the blame. Being betting oriented I don't like bets with uncertainly like this -- except for small stakes.

I don't disagree with what the Democrats want to do -- but doesn't mean I think the process is certain enough. I support it, without thinking it's going to work well.

It's not a bet I would have made without more certainty. But I guess we'll see.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2018 at 9:46:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
If reports are correct Schumer offered funding for the wall if Trump agreed to a DACA solution.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2018 at 10:53:57 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
If reports are correct Schumer offered funding for the wall if Trump agreed to a DACA solution.

Schumer said that's what happened. He left with a deal. Then they (Kelly) called and said no deal.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 20th, 2018 at 2:14:55 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: beachbumbabs
Schumer said that's what happened. He left with a deal. Then they (Kelly) called and said no deal.
I sense Miller's hand in this. Expect to see more of Miller in the news soon.
Oh hum, anything that disrupts Trump's golf agenda has to be a positive. Pity they don't honour the shutdown from the top down: Lay off the whitehouse housekeeping, catering, Presidential protection officers. Send home all the politicians without pay.
January 20th, 2018 at 4:21:49 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Who gets the "blame?" No one.

By the time the elections come around in November, no one will remember this shutdown. Nobody is winning or losing their seat based on this nonsense.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 20th, 2018 at 4:53:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Truthfully, I don't know who is going to get the blame. Being betting oriented I don't like bets with uncertainly like this -- except for small stakes.

It is hard to say. Trump fights back, unlike in past shutdowns where the GOP just let the media blame them. He will not do like Obama, who had SWAT team like groups of feds in trucks storm out at midnight on the dot to tape off monument and the like that had no reason to be taped off. I more predict he will do what a leader tries to do, run things best he can vs. "weaponize" the shiutdown.

As to blame, the GOP has the ultimate line in that they can say, "The Democrats care more about illegal aliens than they do our own people!" They play that and it is hard to lose.
The President is a fink.
January 20th, 2018 at 5:20:11 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Americans, by a 20 point margin, in a poll before the shutdown, blame the president and the Republicans.

Now that it acually happened, opinions might change.

Trump blames himself (the president) in statements made a few years ago.

His opinion on that has already changed.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 20th, 2018 at 5:51:41 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Dalex64
Americans, by a 20 point margin, in a poll before the shutdown, blame the president and the Republicans.

Now that it acually happened, opinions might change.

Trump blames himself (the president) in statements made a few years ago.

His opinion on that has already changed.

The irony
1 year anniversary of Trump becoming President and the govt is shut down
Whats sad is nobody is surprised its come to this
Trump becomes President and the govt no longer works. Its a logical progression everyone can see.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 20th, 2018 at 6:17:52 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
The irony
1 year anniversary of Trump becoming President and the govt is shut down
Whats sad is nobody is surprised its come to this
Trump becomes President and the govt no longer works. Its a logical progression everyone can see.

Correct, because he has to deal with Democrats whose MAIN mission is to see Trump fail, NOT to serve the American people. If you put a lie detector on the Dems voting to shutdown, and asked them if making Trump look bad was their primary motive, it would be 100% yes. Not a one of them is doing this because it is good for American citizens. Some may be doing this because it is good for illegal aliens, though.

When the Repubs were threatening this same silly shutdown thing during Obama's time, there are dozens of soundbites from Dems saying how this is NEVER an acceptable tactic. When those same Dems who voted to shutdown are running for re-election, it will be an easy and powerful ad run by their opponents.

Trump of course has said things about a shutdown in the past that he is now 180 degrees changed, so I'll add this to the list of why I don't think Trump has a chance against any regular Democrat who runs against him in 2020.
January 20th, 2018 at 6:23:12 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Here are a collection of his then-and-now statements about a shutdown.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/01/19/then-and-now-see-president-trumps-evolving-views-government-shutdowns/1049469001/

In case he was hoping, the Meuller investigation is 'essential' and will not be cut off from the money.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 1 of 71234>Last »