No votes (0%)
1 vote (50%)
2 votes (100%)

2 members have voted

December 23rd, 2017 at 3:52:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Many of you know I find the show Golden Balls, and to a lesser extent its American cousin Friend or Foe, as a fascinating study on human nature. The whole Cooperation Game I did on WoV was based on it. I plan to do another round of it starting in March.

Besides the game theory involved, another interesting angle is detecting who is lying and who isn't. Take this episode for example. You can skip to the 1:45 point if you're already familiar with the rules.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Uos2fzIJ0

I'll put my thoughts in spoiler tags to not ruin the end.

In this one I thought both of them would steal.

I thought the man would steal because he seemed to oversell it. Good liars will tell you a lie eye to eye. The infamous "I did not have sexual relations" lie is a good example. He seemed to give good reasons for sharing, which gave me pause. However, people who share often try to feel out the other person and are worried about getting screwed. This guy was very simple -- I'm picking share not matter what.

The woman I thought would steal because she had trouble keeping eye contact. I know I said above liars can look you straight in the eye and lie to your face, but those are good liars. I thought this woman was a bad liar. She also never said she was going to choose Share. It was a sign of a truthful person that she expressed concern over the man picking steal. However, the way she went right into it made me think she rehearsed her lie for many days in advance.

It seemed at the end she was ashamed of herself. I hope she enjoys being proven a liar before millions of people the rest of her life.

I make no claims to be an expert on this topic. I do think detecting a lie is a very important life skill. If I had detected every lie I've been told I would be much happier and richer today.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 23rd, 2017 at 5:12:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
You have to get good at lying. Lying is not always "lying" it is sometimes twisting the truth to calm the other party while you buy time to solve a problem.

I have been on a phone too many times with an angry customer and talked them down. Often I have no idea of the real issue, but I cannot just say that. You have to make like you know, so by the time they figure out you don't know, you do know. I am not talking about blatant telemarketing scams. I am talking what you (sometimes) have to tell customers to keep things from blowing up.

More than once I have worked a call, hung up the phone, and a woman near me said, "you really need to hear yourself on the phone!" It is a coachable but not teachable skill. You learn it by being in the trenches. You learn to bend the truth.

When you believe the bending is the real truth, that is where you slide down the slope.
The President is a fink.
December 23rd, 2017 at 6:05:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
When you believe the bending is the real truth, that is where you slide down the slope.

I think this is where a lot of politicians are sliding down. I would bet Clinton, to this day, would say that his "no sexual relations" statement was not a lie. Both candidates in the last presidential election I believe were siding down this slope to varying degrees.
December 24th, 2017 at 9:27:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you can get past paywall try this test.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/03/21/science/can-you-spot-the-liar.html
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 24th, 2017 at 10:27:09 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
If you can get past paywall try this test.l

I got 7 right.

Here are the ones I got wrong:

Woman with ski cap: I thought she was lying because her eyes were moving, like she was looking for details to embellish the lie.

Woman in white blouse: She was a tough one but I went with lying again because the eyes kept moving around. However, she gave good details and reasons for liking the movie, which argued for the truth. Probably should have got that one.

Woman in red shirt: You can see her eyes look up a lot, which is a sign of lying but I thought maybe it was an illusion because of her glasses. The specifics of the story made me think it was true. Maybe a true story, just not her most memorable.

All three I missed were women. I'm not surprised. I am more used to communicating with men so probably know them better.

December 24th, 2017 at 10:53:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There was a long running show in the early days of television wherein two imposters lied and the real guy told the truth.

I recall one show where the panelists had to deal with three hooded contestants and could not even detect that one of the hooded men was their own frequent co-panelist on the show.

Sure this 'looking to the left' stuff can indeed be an indication of a lie but good liars don't feel guilt. One spy for China who spent twenty years in the CIA was polygraphed twice a year for his entire career.

Poker games? I hear lying is a vital part of the game.
Selling? Salesmen get fired for telling the truth.
December 24th, 2017 at 11:12:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I think this is where a lot of politicians are sliding down. I would bet Clinton, to this day, would say that his "no sexual relations" statement was not a lie. Both candidates in the last presidential election I believe were siding down this slope to varying degrees.

It is all starts being about how you word things.

If I were to ask you which guard guards the door to freedom, what would you tell me?
The President is a fink.
December 24th, 2017 at 12:18:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
All three I missed were women. I'm not surprised.

Women are way better at lying
then men are, they have a
lifetime of practice. They lie
about everything. To their friends,
their husbands, themselves.
Men are way too lazy and we just don't
give that much of a crap to lie all
the time. Way too much work.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 24th, 2017 at 8:57:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I don't know that anyone cares, but here is another one:

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKaYRH6E36U

I thought the guy lying was easy to spot. As I said before, when someone makes a big show his/her intention to play share and doesn't seem concerned what the other person will do, he/she will steal. Classic example of a salesman lying right to your face.

As I learned from the New York Times page, I find it harder to read women. She seemed gung ho to play share too but wasn't as overbearing as the man. To be honest, I thought she would steal too but wasn't sure. Shows you what I know.