collapse of the democrat party

December 18th, 2017 at 10:45:42 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I always liked Ralph Nader? He advocated for gov employees to be paid once per year, wore second hand army boots, even when in a business suit. And as we all know, fought to have fuel tanks re positioned in road bombs.

This is his explanation of how money destroyed the dem party, the party that years ago was thought to represent labor.
[hint; follow the money]

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 18th, 2017 at 3:19:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

This is his explanation of how money destroyed the dem party, the party that years ago was thought to represent labor.

I don't like his politics, but he is indeed telling the Democrat Party what has happened to them. As to representing labor, you can trace it to 1964 when the Democrats stopped that. A decade later, they would lose the white vote, essentially never to regain it. Unions followed them over the edge.

My dad was always pro-union, big time. It was not until the 2000s that I pointed out to him that the unions were not backing everything he was against. He never fully left supporting them, but he finally saw my point. He would vote GOP, but he never switched parties.
The President is a fink.
December 18th, 2017 at 8:52:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
What is the adjective form of Democrat? Somehow "Democrat Party" sounds like bad English but that seems to be the parlance of our times.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 18th, 2017 at 9:16:44 PM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: Wizard
What is the adjective form of Democrat? Somehow "Democrat Party" sounds like bad English but that seems to be the parlance of our times.

I've heard "Democrat Party" since the mid 60s, and it has always sounded like a curse word to me. I believe only Republicans use that term.
December 18th, 2017 at 9:47:50 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Democratic Party.

That's how they and neutral writers refer to them.

Republicans like to claim they aren't democratic, so they drop the "ic". At least that's my impression.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 18th, 2017 at 11:24:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If it's the Democratic party, then as
individuals they would be Democratics,
not Democrats. Republican party
members are not Republics. They're
Republicans. Democratic party
members are Democratics.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 19th, 2017 at 2:50:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Democrats like thinking they are "democratic" so over time the name got modified in use.

Plural is not "Democratics" as in, "all my friends are Democratics!"

Even singular, no button ever said, "Vote foo, Democrartic for Congress!"

Having seen old political buttons, pre-1980s the term was way more "Democrat Party."
The President is a fink.
December 20th, 2017 at 9:18:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Somehow "Democrat Party" sounds like bad English but that seems to be the parlance of our times.

It's been the source of rancor since WWII.

Quote: NYTIMES: August 17, 1984

Democrats Find Ally In Republican Camp

DALLAS, Aug. 16— Representative Jack F. Kemp, Republican of upstate New York, placed himself in an unusual position today. He defended Democrats before the Republican platform committee.

When a delegate asked unanimous consent to change a platform amendment to read the ''Democrat Party'' instead of ''Democratic Party,'' Mr. Kemp objected, saying that would be ''an insult to our Democratic friends.'' The committee later decided to drop the issue because it lacked unanimous support.

The term ''Democrat Party'' has been used in recent years by some right-wing Republicans on the ground that the term used by Democrats implies that they are the only true adherents of democracy.

Democrats in the House objected so loudly to the terminology several years ago that the House Republican leadership, including Mr. Kemp, openly called on Republicans to say ''Democratic'' to avoid needless rancor between the two parties.