Thoughts on the Flat Earth folks

Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>
November 14th, 2017 at 7:02:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: pew
You actually know professing Christians that advocate for homosexuals to be put to death? Wow. I've met a number of Christians in my time and never heard that from any of them. Not even Westboro Baptist.

I don't personally know any. If I did, I would disasvow (why is my spell checker flagging that?) them if I did. However, I've seen extremely conservative Christians quote passages authorizing said punishment in debating the topic.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 14th, 2017 at 7:22:43 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: odiousgambit
I am still going to say that in the case of the flat-earthers, it is argument for the sake of argument; no one picking up the Bible should all of a sudden be struck by the realization that it argues for a flat earth [because I will still say it does so obliquely.

I don't dispute that and tend to agree most of them know the earth is spherical and are just trying to get a rise out of people.

However, I make no apologies for pointing out any errors or internal contradictions in the bible, including a flat earth. I think the world would be a better place with less religion and will strive to that end.
November 14th, 2017 at 7:24:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Currently, there are six countries (eight if parts of Syria and Iraq occupied by Isis are included) where the death penalty is implemented for same-sex relations. (Penalty applies country-wide in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Yemen, and in certain provinces in Nigeria and Somalia.)

In five other countries (Afghanistan, Mauritania, Pakistan, Qatar and the UAE) the interpretation of Sharia law technically permits the death penalty, but it is thought to not be invoked; these nations may implement lesser penalties, ILGA said. And in one nation (Brunei Darussalam) same-sex relations are illegal, but its criminal procedure code has not yet been put into effect.

A Sep 2017 United Nations Resolution condemned the use of the death penalty in certain situations was passed. The final vote was 27 nations voted in favor of the resolution, 13 voted against it, and 7 abstained.

Quote: Resolution highlights
Condemning in particular the use of the death penalty against persons with mental or intellectual disabilities, persons below 18 years of age at the time of the commission of the crime, and pregnant women,
Condemning the imposition of the death penalty as a sanction for specific forms of conduct, such as apostasy, blasphemy, adultery and consensual same-sex relations, and expressing serious concern that the application of the death penalty for adultery is disproportionately imposed on women.

Eight countries that spearheaded the resolution – Belgium, Benin, Costa Rica, France, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia and Switzerland

The USA was one of the 13 nations who voted against the resolution.
Japan has executed only 28 people since 2010, of which 2 were women, 4 were men between the ages of 29 and 35, 5 were for single murders, and 23 were for multiple murders.

1. United States
  2. Japan
  3. China
  4. India
  5. Bangladesh
  6. Botswana
  7. Burundi
  8. Egypt
  9. Ethiopia
  10. Iraq
  11. Qatar
  12. Saudi Arabia
  13. United Arab Emirates

The Resolution was approved by all countries in Easter/Western Europe/Latin America except Cuba (who abstained)
WESTERN EUROPE Belgium,Germany,Netherlands,Portugal,Switzerland,United Kingdom
EASTERN EUROPE Albania, Croatia, Georgia,Hungary, Latvia, Slovenia
LATIN AMERICA Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador, El Salvador, Panama, Paraguay, Venezuela
November 14th, 2017 at 7:58:54 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Currently, there are six countries (eight if parts of Syria and Iraq occupied by Isis are included) where the death penalty is implemented for same-sex relations. (Penalty applies country-wide in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Yemen, and in certain provinces in Nigeria and Somalia.)

At the risk of changing the topic, I wonder why there is such a huge emphasis on human rights in China while it never seems to come up in Washington with Saudi Arabia. I know we need every alliance we can get in the Arab world but I think if we're going to turn a blind eye to it in one place we may as well be consistent about it.
November 14th, 2017 at 8:49:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
At the risk of changing the topic, I wonder why there is such a huge emphasis on human rights in China while it never seems to come up in Washington with Saudi Arabia.

I think that question basically answers itself.
November 14th, 2017 at 11:21:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
"... the Catholic way"....
Rich churches, wealthy staff, poor parishioners, lies, sexual abuse.... .

Of course, and that's why they're in
fiscal trouble. There are more Catholics
now than ever in the world, but they're
in poor countries in S America and
Africa. The rich countries in EU are all
turning to secularism and no longer
filling the Vatican coffers. The lazy
priests now have to work their asses
off in the poor countries and because
of it, there are fewer priests and it's in
crisis mode. They saw this coming
decades ago and did nothing about it,
they were too busy paying billions in
hush money to pedophile victims.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 15th, 2017 at 5:38:06 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
I don't personally know any. If I did, I would disasvow (why is my spell checker flagging that?) them if I did. However, I've seen extremely conservative Christians quote passages authorizing said punishment in debating the topic.

Because its disavow, not disasvow.
November 16th, 2017 at 6:33:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
... anyone looking further into it has to ask "where is the edge"? And "how can circumnavigators of the world do so" without turning around? ...

Well! after pondering the image the Wizard found, I realized that it is attempting to answer both questions [never think the anti-evolution people don't come up with 'answers' either to what should stump them]. However ridiculously, the image does show how to circumnavigate the world, and also the edge of the earth is seen too, it is Antarctica, which is not a continent [doubters, you can google that].

The world is tilted at an angle in the image too, but I can't see how that brings the seasons if that is what it is supposed to mean

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 16th, 2017 at 2:21:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Quote: President Obama
The POTUS angrily blasted climate change skeptics during his energy policy speech Jun e 2013 Georgetown University, saying he lacked "patience for anyone who denies that this problem is real." "We don't have time for a meeting of the flat-Earth society," Obama said. "Sticking your head in the sand might make you feel safer, but it's not going to protect you from the coming storm." Earlier in his remarks, Obama said the "overwhelming judgement of science, of chemistry, of physics, and millions of measurements" put "to rest" questions about pollution affecting the environment. "The planet is warming. Human activity is contributing to it," Obama said. "We know that the costs of these events can be measured in lost lives and lost livelihoods." The president noted that the 12 warmest years in recorded history have all come within the last 15 years, and said that rising temperatures were increasing the severity and impact of storms. He noted that rising tide levels in New York increased the impact of Hurricane Sandy, while record temperatures killed crops and increased food prices in the Midwest.
November 16th, 2017 at 5:09:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
it is Antarctica, which is not a continent [doubters, you can google that].

http://www.whatarethe7continents.com/antarctica-continent/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>