Threads: 146
The constant breaking news about Irma
is hilarious. It's going to hit here, NO, it's
going to hit there, NO, it's going to hit,
maybe. FL is in a panic, this isn't supposed
to happen, what a surprise. I hate FL with
a passion, if it gets wiped clean what an
improvement it would be.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 7th, 2017 at 12:49:09 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
The constant breaking news about Irma
is hilarious. It's going to hit here, NO, it's
going to hit there, NO, it's going to hit,
maybe. FL is in a panic, this isn't supposed
to happen, what a surprise. I hate FL with
a passion, if it gets wiped clean what an
improvement it would be.

Apparently the island of Barbuda was almost wiped clean. 90% of structures destroyed. Since SON OF SOOPOO is living in Florida I am hoping it doesn't get wiped clean. He works at a well built museum at University of Florida. I think he plans on riding out the storm there if necessary. I have been in wind gusts up to 60mph. I really can't imagine 150 + mph.......
September 7th, 2017 at 1:06:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: SOOPOO
I have been in wind gusts up to 60mph. I really can't imagine 150 + mph.......

I was stuck on the island of St Croix in the US Virgin islands when Hurricane Hugo hit in 1989 (sustained winds at 140 mph). We sat in the bathroom because we were afraid the windows would explode. Fortunately it was an old building and the windows were louvre type that you seldom see anymore.

Water flooded into the room, and everything got wet and moldy. The pressure dropped so your ears were popping. Pieces of nuts from the trees are like missiles. Afterwards you venture outside and it looks OK, but gusts of strong wind start wipping around dust and debris so you can easily lose an eye.

But then the real fun began as marauding bands of people with machetes start through the street looting and robbing. You realize how many people have shotguns and gunfire crackles through the city. At night people begin storming the doors of the hotel. The prisoners all escaped the trailer prisons (and the murder rate on that island was the highest in the country). Troops arrived with automatic weapons. I was fortunate as I got off the island in 2-3 days as the Navy sent a P-3 reconnaissance plane to pick up equipment and evacuate personnel.

We actually ate well because shopkeepers were giving away boxes of steaks and lobsters. I think there are two reasons for that. They want the shelves bare to minimize looting damage, and it makes it easier to put in your insurance claim if everything has vanished.

About 25% of the guys in our hotel were some tough, trash talking, oil refinery workers from Texas. I kept telling them that we are in the middle of a race riot, and they should lay off using phrases like "Muttha F-ing N-word" for a while.
September 7th, 2017 at 1:19:16 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Apparently the island of Barbuda was almost wiped clean. 90% of structures destroyed. Since SON OF SOOPOO is living in Florida I am hoping it doesn't get wiped clean. He works at a well built museum at University of Florida. I think he plans on riding out the storm there if necessary. I have been in wind gusts up to 60mph. I really can't imagine 150 + mph.......

By being inland and in the middle of the state he should not be dealing with the worst of it. Best of luck to him.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 7th, 2017 at 1:42:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
But then the real fun began as marauding bands of people with machetes start through the street looting and robbing. You realize how many people have shotguns and gunfire crackles through the city.

Was that the time the governor of the
VI tried to confiscate all the guns in
violation of the US constitution? Hey,
looting is in the genes of certain people,
don't begrudge them their heritage..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 7th, 2017 at 1:49:41 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Having gone 170+ on a bike, there's nothing you can do in it. You have to stay tucked up under the cowling. Not to say it'd rip your head off, but I guaran-damn-tee (strongly assume =p) that simply extending a hand could tear ligaments in wrist / elbow / shoulder. Hit a bee at 140 and it draws blood. Everything (EVERYTHING) becomes a danger. Even bitty flies feels like getting shot with a CO2 pellet gun.

It'd be like sitting on the wing of an F1 at full chat with no gear or harness. F#$%. That.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 7th, 2017 at 2:20:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
looting is in the genes of certain people,
don't begrudge them their heritage..
It would be harder to find a culture that didn't.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 7th, 2017 at 2:43:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Having gone 170+ on a bike, there's nothing you can do in it.

I couldn't imagine 170. I did like 30-40 on a wave runner, even at that speed you have to hold on way, way tight. A mall by me had some machine you could stand in high winds, 80 mph IIRC. Never tried it.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2017 at 2:48:42 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
I couldn't imagine 170. I did like 30-40 on a wave runner, even at that speed you have to hold on way, way tight. A mall by me had some machine you could stand in high winds, 80 mph IIRC. Never tried it.

Water skied at 35 mph. Raindrops felt like pea gravel. Don't ask why I was water skiing in the rain, I'm still not sure. In those days we rarely let the weather spoil our plans. My kids are so much smarter than I was.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 7th, 2017 at 3:28:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Was that the time the governor of the VI tried to confiscate all the guns in violation of the US constitution?

Actually the governor of VI tried to confiscate guns before Irma (2 days ago), because of the memory of what happened when Hugo hit.

The territory, with a population of about 100,000, suffered from days of unrest following the devastation from Hurricane Hugo in 1989. President George H. W. Bush ordered in a force of 100 U.S. Marshals bolstered by 1,200 Army paratroopers from Fort Bragg to curb rampant looting that allegedly included members of the local police and National Guard.

St Croix rioted last time (population 50,000), because the eye came over the island. This time it looks like St Thomas took the worst of the brunt. St Thomas is far more developed and with much better docks for resort ships. The islands are about 40 miles apart.
Page 1 of 121234>Last »