Smoothie Detox with AZDuffman

Page 1 of 41234>
August 2nd, 2017 at 5:56:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I have never been in shape, but lately I have been feeling like a total lump. I used to gain weight in winter and take it off in summer. Last 2 years, it has not come off. I know eating bad is part of it. I eat awful. I'll get hooked on a few things. I will try to make better foods, but have done that less this year and just gotten into cycles of eating out. Time to do something.

Time for a 10 Day Smoothie Detox. There are differing opinions on this from medical folks. My thoughts are:
1. Nobody ever died from a 10 day diet change
2. I'll be breaking into it for the next six weeks first
3. I can step off if I get sick
4. I plan on some "cheats" form the harshest plans for reasons I will get into later

What I have learned so far

I have low potassium. I was given pills for it. The pills are horse pills, which I hate taking. I dislike any supplement since I know it is not the best idea, even if by Rx. I hate bananas, the best source. I mean hate them. I don't like many fruits. Smoothies seemed a good answer.

I would take OJ as a base, add the banana, then strawberries or blueberries to knock off the banana taste. I did not read much at this point, just figured it worked this way. Turns out I was onto the basics. I was using my grandparent's old blender, I had it since 1998, they had it since I was a kid, and the same one is in the 1980s period "Halt and Catch Fire" in the background.

The blender eventually broke, I never knew how much better a new one would be. I thought of buying at the
thrift store, but for $25 or so I got a nice one with smoothie settings. What a flipping difference. No chunks of fruit in the smoothie, making it, smooth. Easier to get down.

Thinking I am on to something, it is time to experiment.
The President is a fink.
August 2nd, 2017 at 7:33:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Waste of time, don't even bother. Want to feel
better and lose weight, knock off sugar and
starches, like potatoes and bread and rice. Eat
chicken or fish and salads for dinner. Have
some bacon and eggs for breakfast and
hard boiled eggs in a small salad for lunch.
You'll feel better and lose weight, I'm an
expert at this. You can even ask me questions,
I know everything in this field.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 2nd, 2017 at 7:35:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
re: bananas many people who dislike bananas have absolutely no adverse reaction to a frozen banana.

Potassium sources include nuts, particuarly almonds. Also parseley, avacado, coconut water, yams.

Blenders and processors have improved but can be frustrating to keep clean.
August 2nd, 2017 at 7:55:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You'll be bored with this after 3 days, you
won't lose weight because it's too much
sugar, why start it at all. Eat protein and
low carb veggies and you'll do much better
and feel much better.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2017 at 3:39:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Still in the experiment phase, seeing what works and what does not. One bad thing with these things is that the "good, green" additions, like spinach, they make it taste awful. You have to be careful what you add to cover it up, since most people want to resort to some kind of sugar.

Today I added some mint from the old garden. Amazing. A slight mint taste when I put in an amount just under the amount of spinach. Knocked off the bad taste and added a new one. Gonna have to do this more often, try the lemon balm next time. That stuff grows like crazy.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2017 at 3:49:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Just put less of the stuff that gives it a taste you don't like. I believe I would add carrots to sweeten it up if it needs it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2017 at 3:52:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Just put less of the stuff that gives it a taste you don't like. I believe I would add carrots to sweeten it up if it needs it.

But when you do that you are not getting the nutritional value. My issue is I really do not like most fruits and vegetables, don't get enough. So far it worked.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2017 at 10:37:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
But when you do that you are not getting the nutritional value. My issue is I really do not like most fruits and vegetables, don't get enough. So far it worked.

Oh, well if you really want to fineness it, figure out all the minimum RDA requirements according to fruits and vegetables portions and you won't have to drink more than necessary. Maybe add a touch of extra fiber f&Vs, never hurts .

Also cut costs.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2017 at 11:03:24 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
But when you do that you are not getting the nutritional value. My issue is I really do not like most fruits and vegetables, don't get enough.
I use frozen Mango's, or other fancy fruit precut from Safeway. I've even thrown in Avacado's, or some quality fat. Sometimes a bit of cocanut. I can't do berries anymore as I choke on them. I recommend using "Jay Robb" protein powder. I was stuck on a liquid diet for months. I discovered for awhile I hadn't been giving my self any salt and my blood pressure dropped way down. Hard to get enough protein without supplementing.

I like mine cold, the frozen fruit helps that. If they end up to tart, I add Stevia. But the Jay Robb is sweet as well. As you know there are powdered vitamins just for these, but I never liked the taste.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 9th, 2017 at 11:12:31 AM permalink
rxwine
I can't imagine adding sugar or artificial sugar -- but I can drink any fruit or vegetable concoction -- even heavy green, tart, whatever.
Page 1 of 41234>