July 23rd, 2017 at 1:37:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Ugh, how can you watch so close?

Like EB
No interest in a giant TV
I actually watch most movies on my laptop
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 24th, 2017 at 3:20:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Research shows not much more to research. Should be able to get a decent set for $800, being a smart set, 51-65." $150 for a decent stand, then I am good another 7-10 years. I think part of the problem in the current one is temperature related, cooler today and less red, though still unwatchable mostly.

What you can still spend blows my mind. Curved sets, monster sizes, $2-3,000! Those 65" sets really are bumping the price, 50" is want 25" was a generation ago, the basic size at a basic price. Really trying to justify the extra cost. One thing I figure is I often get wasted space on my 51" from formats and it being a stupid set, with cobbled together receiving. New set should help that.

Also saw how cheap sets for bedroom might be. Current one I have not used in at least a year, sits there since it's built in DVD is only DVD I have ever owned. Gonna cost to get rid of it, have to get rid of it on my days in WV as PA does not allow drop offs for a charge! And not sure I can carry it myself. New set, $130! Flat screen and all. Might buy one to fall asleep to. Once loved to have CNBC on as I got ready for work. Cut the cord ends that. Oh well.
The President is a fink.
July 24th, 2017 at 4:15:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Also saw how cheap sets for bedroom might be. Current one I have not used in at least a year, sits there since it's built in DVD is only DVD I have ever owned. Gonna cost to get rid of it, have to get rid of it on my days in WV as PA does not allow drop offs for a charge! And not sure I can carry it myself. New set, $130! Flat screen and all. Might buy one to fall asleep to. Once loved to have CNBC on as I got ready for work. Cut the cord ends that. Oh well.

If you have decent WiFi in your bedroom, a little more practical then the TV with built in DVD player is is the TCL bedroom television with built in Roku

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU1GBLL/ref=twister_B01MY48T0O?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
TCL 28S305 28-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
List Price: $189.99 Price: $159.99 & FREE Shipping. 28 inch - 7.5 pounds

TCL 32S305 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
List Price: $199.99 Price: $169.99 & FREE Shipping. 32 inch - 9.9 pounds

These Roku TV's are about $20 more than their equivalent dumb versions. As a Roku Express adapter is about $30 and it introduces a second remote, it seems like a good deal to buy a TV with Roku built in.

A free and legal Roku service is "Pluto TV" which gives you the following News channels (including CNBC)

Ch. 105 Today’s Top Story
Ch. 108 News 24/7
Ch. 110 NBC News & MSNBC
Ch. 111 CNBC
Ch. 112 Cheddar
Ch. 115 CBSN
Ch. 116 TYT Network
Ch. 121 NewsmaxTV
Ch. 127 Newsy
Ch. 132 Russia Today America
Ch. 135 Sky News
Ch. 138 The Weather Network
Ch. 140 Business News 24/7
Ch. 143 Bloomberg TV
© Copyright 2015 Pluto TV Privacy Policy Terms of Use

If you don't have good WiFi in your bedroom, there are boxes you can buy usually for $70-$200 which have ethernet ports
July 24th, 2017 at 4:59:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
If you have decent WiFi in your bedroom, a little more practical then the TV with built in DVD player is is the TCL bedroom television with built in Roku

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU1GBLL/ref=twister_B01MY48T0O?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
TCL 28S305 28-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
List Price: $189.99 Price: $159.99 & FREE Shipping. 28 inch - 7.5 pounds

TCL 32S305 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
List Price: $199.99 Price: $169.99 & FREE Shipping. 32 inch - 9.9 pounds

These Roku TV's are about $20 more than their equivalent dumb versions. As a Roku Express adapter is about $30 and it introduces a second remote, it seems like a good deal to buy a TV with Roku built in.

A free and legal Roku service is "Pluto TV" which gives you the following News channels (including CNBC)

Ch. 105 Today’s Top Story
Ch. 108 News 24/7
Ch. 110 NBC News & MSNBC
Ch. 111 CNBC
Ch. 112 Cheddar
Ch. 115 CBSN
Ch. 116 TYT Network
Ch. 121 NewsmaxTV
Ch. 127 Newsy
Ch. 132 Russia Today America
Ch. 135 Sky News
Ch. 138 The Weather Network
Ch. 140 Business News 24/7
Ch. 143 Bloomberg TV
© Copyright 2015 Pluto TV Privacy Policy Terms of Use

If you don't have good WiFi in your bedroom, there are boxes you can buy usually for $70-$200 which have ethernet ports

I got one Roku, sitting since the Firestick purchase. It may well get demoted to the bedroom and I get a new TV. One thing is I want to avoid noise so as to not bother my buddy upstairs who has a dog's smell and hearing. I do like that channel selection, though. I would put business news on to doze to sleep to.
The President is a fink.
July 24th, 2017 at 5:43:52 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
...What you can still spend blows my mind. Curved sets, monster sizes, $2-3,000! Those 65" sets really are bumping the price, 50" is want 25" was a generation ago, the basic size at a basic price...

The reason the 60's are so much more has to do with ultra high definition and dynamic range. Since it appears that you don't have a need for those high end things, the basic 45 - 55 inch set will do you just fine. You may be able to get a deal on a curved set, as this feature has fallen out of favor with consumers, who are attracted to ultra thin form factors nowadays.

Keep in mind that TV's are not built to last, even the expensive ones. Expect picture quality to dim and degrade after 7 years of average use. You may want to consider adding an extended warranty to protect your investment beyond the 30 - 90 days you get from the manufacturer. Having dead pixels is so common a problem nowadays, many manufacturers encourage customers to just live with it.
July 24th, 2017 at 6:01:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
The reason the 60's are so much more has to do with ultra high definition and dynamic range. Since it appears that you don't have a need for those high end things, the basic 45 - 55 inch set will do you just fine. You may be able to get a deal on a curved set, as this feature has fallen out of favor with consumers, who are attracted to ultra thin form factors nowadays.

Years ago I remember hearing about how the price jumped because they had to junk so many larger sets. I guess in the end it does not change. As to the curve sets, they seem so much more expensive the only way I could save is if one falls off the back of a truck somewhere.
The President is a fink.
July 24th, 2017 at 6:05:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I got one Roku, sitting since the Firestick purchase. It may well get demoted to the bedroom and I get a new TV. One thing is I want to avoid noise so as to not bother my buddy upstairs who has a dog's smell and hearing. I do like that channel selection, though. I would put business news on to doze to sleep to.

Pluto TV was founded in 2013 and is based in Los Angeles, California. Pluto TV runs as an app on AppleTV, Android TV, and Roku, and PlayStation consoles. The company currently has around 75 content partners. The company also as of October, 2016 has around 5 million monthly active users up from 500,000 in early 2015. Pluto TV generates revenue from video advertisements between programming, and has a goal to continue to stay as free television.

Commercial free entertainment on demand libraries are relatively cheap with $10 for Netflix and $15 for HBO Now being the best combo that I can see. The commercial free Hulu for $12 is a good option.

But live news that is not day old or Sports tend to be harder to find. SlingTVs $20 ESPN option also gives you CNN News with up to two simultaneous streams in your home. But Pluto is a good free option for smaller news channels. FOXNEWS is a little more careful about letting their product be sold for cheap.
July 24th, 2017 at 8:22:46 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Ayecarumba
... Given the 5 - 7 year operating life of new TV's, you can probably wait on this feature until the next one.

Is this real? I still use my Samsung 32" LCD TV from 2005 in bedroom. Works great. No need to upgrade, though I see my friends with huge 60"+ TVs with better black densities or whatever. I have a 37" Visio LCD in the living room, no problems.

Am I really missing out???
July 24th, 2017 at 9:38:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I find huge TV's exhausting to watch. My brother
has a 60", too much work having to move my
eyes all the time, and even my head. Give me a
TV that fills my frame of vision, it's much more
enjoyable. Huge TV's, I just don't get the attraction.
For a room full of people I can see it, for one
person it's just silly.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 24th, 2017 at 11:30:23 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: zippyboy
...Am I really missing out???
hehe... Like other things in life, I guess it depends on how much size matters to you.

Do you enjoy watching movies or television shows and/or do you subscribe to a streaming service with high definition programming? Do you have enough space to sit 8 or more feet from the screen? Do you already have a surround sound system? If yes to these questions, then you should consider upgrading to bring the theater experience home, and getting the most out of your blu-ray player or streaming service. Immersive audio and video makes watching sports more enjoyable, and surround sound with a big screen is great for movies.

If all you use your tv for is news and an occasional DVD, then save your money and head over to your friends' places for Bowl games, NASCAR races, and such. Your not missing anything, and in fact are probably living more by watching TV less.

...but it would be pretty cool to watch four football games at the same time on split screens that are each as big as the TV in your bedroom.
Page 2 of 3<123>