in the 80's. They were dumbfounded
by our supermarkets crammed with
things they could only imagine, in
endless supply. Many of them could
never be convinced we weren't
hoarding just for ourselves while
the rest of world starved. The concept
of capitalism was foreign to them.

Grocery supermarkets were always high on the list for USSR visitors. Was it Kruschev who wanted to see one when he came over here?

It is too bad that after the fall of communism they could not preserve say a square mile of what was. Show the despair, the empty shops, the low quality goods. A tourist attraction of sorts. Send the "BERNIE!" fans over there to see what it is really all about.

Communism always has this weird appeal to a strong minority of young people. They think they will have what successful people have if it were just not for profit skimmed by the provider. With just a few disaster places left, it will eventually happen again.

One thing I read in an old econ book is sometimes there were goods on the shelves. Lots of them. But they were all things nobody wanted at any price. Visitors saw this and thought things were not all that bad. Then they saw it was all off sizes or processed not real cheese. It took time to sink in.
The President is a fink.
April 28th, 2017 at 2:17:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

One thing I read in an old econ book is sometimes there were goods on the shelves. Lots of them.

It was mostly things nobody could afford,
only there for show.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 28th, 2017 at 3:10:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
It was mostly things nobody could afford,
only there for show.

In this case it was more what they did not want. Bad shoe sizes and the like.

I remember another book said nails would be a problem. They set a quota in weight and got just huge nails. So they set one in volume and get just small nails. Extrapolate that over millions of products. Yet people still fall for this being a good idea.
The President is a fink.
April 28th, 2017 at 3:30:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Just looking at the firepower we have off
the coast of N Korea now. 2 destroyers,
2 battleships, soon to be 2 nuclear subs,
and a carrier with 90 fixed wing aircraft.
The number of missiles on these ships
is in the hundreds, total. Enough to
damage N Korea beyond repair. A
fraction of our Navy but more firepower
than most countries have in total.
The USS Michigan has 154 Tomahawks
all by itself. And N Korea just attempted
another missile test a few hours ago.
You better believe the thousands of
military people on those ships are on
full alert.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 5th, 2017 at 7:31:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
do not even need to speak Korean to tell the stress in their voices, how it is all a show. It could take 100 years to get that society to normal if they fall.

Considering many people there are starving and many live with minimal means, their ability to survive if society collapses would probably be fairly honed.

Unlike most Americans who might start dying off after 3 days of no cable TV.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 5th, 2017 at 7:36:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Considering many people there are starving and many live with minimal means, their ability to survive if society collapses would probably be fairly honed.

2 level problem here. They probably can get some kind of survival outside the cities. Urban areas would though for sure collapse and collapse hard. The rebuilding would be rough since it is doubtful they could get organized on any level.

Quote:
Unlike most Americans who might start dying off after 3 days of no cable TV.

No argument there, probably half the USA can't last 3 days.
The President is a fink.
May 5th, 2017 at 9:03:02 PM permalink
Evenbob

3 days, half have enough food to get
them to lunch tomorrow. And places
like Walmart have no huge storage
warehouses, they order as they run
out. They would be out of food
nationwide in 24 hours.
May 6th, 2017 at 4:48:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
3 days, half have enough food to get
them to lunch tomorrow. And places
like Walmart have no huge storage
warehouses, they order as they run
out. They would be out of food
nationwide in 24 hours.

I always try to keep enough on hand to last 2-4 weeks at a minimum though I have fallen down there little lately. But I look at the people in the areas of Katrina/Sandy who were whining that it took 3 days for help to arrive. You cannot last 3 days?

Was listening to a responder on a podcast the other day, he said 3 days is the bare minimum you need but that if you have that in most kinds of populated areas it should ensure survival until initial help. Less and you will find yourself in some kind of shelter and all the dangers they have.
The President is a fink.
May 6th, 2017 at 5:13:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I have thought about that 3 day requirement. Does that mean you just have food and water, or does it mean you have backup power and enough fuel (probably propane) to last 3 days. Do you keep water to flush toilets?

Can you defend yourself against up to four aggressive intruders armed with lead pipes or knives or something similar? Perhaps they may try and shut down your generator.
May 6th, 2017 at 7:14:37 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin
I have thought about that 3 day requirement. Does that mean you just have food and water, or does it mean you have backup power and enough fuel (probably propane) to last 3 days. Do you keep water to flush toilets?

Can you defend yourself against up to four aggressive intruders armed with lead pipes or knives or something similar? Perhaps they may try and shut down your generator.

The latter has been my plan.

I don't have a single store of staples, but have everything needed to get it and keep it. Reckon I'll be up a creek if said SHTF is bio or nuclear in nature, but I've all meteorological/geological bases covered (except volcano; don't see the need here), as well as defense.

I can understand a Katrina, as the entire ground and all natural resources are effectively toxic. But Sandy and those like it? That's an inconvenience. I don't understand how anyone over 10 or under 80 could find themselves in a life threatening scenario in those situations. Perhaps I am ignorant due to the limited disasters I find here, but they all seem entirely financial in their scope. Seeing the massive operation just to get my town water... the pick up point was literally at the crick. While I understand that many (most?) people wouldn't want to drink raw crick water as I have for the last thirty years, taint nothing to acquire a chlorine tab or boiling pot. Why wait half a day in the heat and crowd for the next National Guard truck when a pot and a fire can get you settled within the hour?

As an aside, while I realize fish metabolism is nowhere near a human's, I keep several fish alive all non-frozen-year using no more than 5 square feet of Earth and my bare hands. Excluding desert and tundra, if you can't make a month, you're simply bad at living.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.