3 votes (50%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

6 members have voted

March 21st, 2017 at 11:11:57 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
After finishing Mad Men I asked around for a new series to follow. The one that game up the most was Game of Thrones. Since it seems to be the show right now, I truly gave it the 'ol college try. I watched every episode of the first two seasons. The first season I rather liked. However, as season two went on I got more and more lost. After taking a short break I started on season 3 and had to quit kidding myself -- I only understood maybe 20% of what was going on. To be honest, I probably would have quit a long time ago had it not been for the nudity and violence. Keeping up with so many different kingdoms and houses and who is seeking revenge on who and why. Somebody should write Cliff Notes for the series.

It is with some pain that I give it up. I'd love to see what happens with Daenerys and her dragons. I'd also love to see something very bad happen to Joffrey.

The question for the poll is which series should I take up next. To help, here is a list of some likes and dislikes of mine:

Fargo (the second series)
The Wire
Lost (Starting with season 3)

Loves:
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Mad Men
Fargo (the first series)
The Corner
Lost (first two seasons only)
Friday Night Lights

Dislikes:
Boardwalk Empire
Walking Dead
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 21st, 2017 at 11:29:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
The question for the poll is which series should I take up next.

Babylon 5 of course.

From your list, The West Wing was rather good, but the politics will be soooooooooo dated by now. President Bartlett never proposes to grab anyone's genitals at all! (and he's played by a Hispanic!)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 21st, 2017 at 11:31:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Downton Abby is my fave right now. It's
on Prime. I've seen the whole series
4 times. Californication is another, seen
it 3 times. Burn Notice 3 times. The first
6 seasons of Blue Bloods is on Nflix.

House of Cards is excellent on Nflix.
The Americans has 4 seasons on Prime,
best spy show I've ever seen. I gave
up Game of Thrones after a couple
episodes, I'm not into S/M, it made
me ill. FrG claims I talked him into
giving it up too.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2017 at 11:32:31 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Dexter
Bosch
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 21st, 2017 at 11:35:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed

From your list, The West Wing was rather good,

I'm watching WW right now and the
only character I don't like is Martin
Sheen's. He talks way too much, and
I'm sorry, he's too short. He's shorter
than than everybody in a scene, he
doesn't look presidential at all. Every
president in the last 120 years has been
tall, we elect tall presidents. They
look commanding standing next to
world leaders. Even FDR was tall, out
of his wheelchair.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2017 at 11:35:17 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Dexter

First four seasons only.

The first four seasons were SOOOO good, then it jumped the shark BIG TIME after season 4.

It's final season is one of the worst things I've had the misfortune of watching. I still can't believe how awful that show got at the end...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 21st, 2017 at 3:15:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Loves: Fargo (the first series)

Legion (TV series) on FX Video on Demand. Six episodes into an eight episode first season
Created by Noah Hawley (creator of Fargo)

Starring
Dan Stevens (Downtown Abbey | Beauty and Beast)
Rachel Keller (Fargo)
Jean Smart (Fargo)
Bill Irwin (first performance artist to be awarded a 5-year MacArthur Fellowship or "genius grant")
Aubrey Plaza

Rachel Keller and Jean Smart accepted the part based on their experience with Noah Hawley in Fargo. They didn't know anything about the story or the character. Not particularly surprising since most women are not comic fans.

Aubrey Plaza took a part that was supposed to be played by an elderly man, and insisted on acting it with no changes to the dialogue. So she uses a lot of phrases from the 1940's.

March 21st, 2017 at 3:26:32 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
...had to quit kidding myself -- I only understood maybe 20% of what was going on. To be honest, I probably would have quit a long time ago had it not been for the nudity and violence. Keeping up with so many different kingdoms and houses and who is seeking revenge on who and why. Somebody should write Cliff Notes for the series.

I was briefed beforehand - pay close attention to the details at the beginning. It sort of help, but not really. I got not quite as far as you did, perhaps close to the end of S2, when I took a break and started back at square one again. That did the trick. And it's been amazing ever since.

I'd be happy to Cliff it for ya, but that seemed more a throwaway comment, as it feels like you've officially thrown in the towel.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 21st, 2017 at 5:28:50 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
A third vote for Dexter.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 21st, 2017 at 5:35:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
I absolutely DETESTED Dexter. It's for
people with warped minds, IMO. I
watched exactly 2 disgusting episodes.
This review says it best:

"It says a LOT about modern audiences that a show in which someone commits a slow BDSM murder on a crying human being in the opening five minutes of the first episode is one of the biggest hits in TV history.
I don't care what kind of excuses the show gives itself - this is about a man who methodically hunts people down and the climax is him slaughtering that individual in a creative, brutal manner.
Wake up call to people who enjoy this series: you are a closet sadist and/or masochist. You need to open up to yourself about these hidden feelings."
Page 1 of 3123>