Page 2 of 3<123>
March 18th, 2017 at 12:44:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When they were surprised you gave them a
check for the contract amount, we're they
expecting you to haggle with them, is that
why they were surprised.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 18th, 2017 at 1:18:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
When they were surprised you gave them a
check for the contract amount, we're they
expecting you to haggle with them, is that
why they were surprised.

It is a no-haggle place so that was not it. She mainly said people do not follow directions or are otherwise unprepared. I had it all, except the binder but I did have it already added to my insurance, which she also seemed surprised at.

Some of it had to be a sort of amazement, "I picked this guy up at the airport and he is buying and leaving back for home 1100 miles away all in less than 4 hours?!" Not saying I am the only guy who would be able to do that, but surely in the small minority.
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2017 at 2:01:32 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I really enjoy the process of buying cars from Dealers. I'm the guy that used to spend all day at the dealership playing their game and trying to save every last dollar. Now with the internet and email it is much more convenient because I do it all through email and have multiple dealers competing with each other on an hour by hour basis. By the time I get to the dealer I know the exact amount I am paying just AZDuffman did.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 18th, 2017 at 2:27:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
I'm an auction buyer. I said before, look for
a vehicle 5 years old, manual tranny and
manual windows, and you'll get it for half
of Blue Book. Just read a story of two guys
who tried to carjack a vehicle with a manual
tranny and neither could drive it, so they beat
the crap out of the driver and ran away.

Companies still buy manuals for fleet cars
and get rid of them at auctions. Three times
the normal miles, but still pretty new, for
half what book price is. And the miles are
all highway miles, so who cares.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2017 at 11:24:14 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
How do you find / get into actions?

I was briefly in that world, back when I began my foray into body work in my teens. Seemed a cool place to score a deal, but I believe that one was a sort of "invite only", or at least wasn't in any way advertised or open to the general public.

As one who 100% prefers manuals and higher mileage s#$%boxes who also has not one mote of business sense or haggling skills, I'd be real interested in checking into this route.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to employ DRich for a hot minute...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 19th, 2017 at 11:45:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
How do you find / get into actions?

I was briefly in that world, back when I began my foray into body work in my teens. Seemed a cool place to score a deal, but I believe that one was a sort of "invite only", or at least wasn't in any way advertised or open to the general public.

As one who 100% prefers manuals and higher mileage s#$%boxes who also has not one mote of business sense or haggling skills, I'd be real interested in checking into this route.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to employ DRich for a hot minute...

I am assuming that is supposed to be "auctions."

Down here there are a few that anyone can enter. The better ones are "dealer only." I have seen ads on craigslist where a dealer will let you tag along. I don't remember any your way from when I lived in Rochester, but they have to be there. Do you know a dealer? Even a small lot one will do. Even walk in and ask to tag along, offer to pay a spiff fee to the dealer of course, after all, we are not communists.

But for what you want, I would suggest look on CL Florida and NC. Lots of high-mileage cars with still good bodies on there. Make a few days of it, drive around and make a deal. If you are looking at trucks or SUVs I advise look at Fords. Lots of supply for some reason. I know from looking at them.

Here's the deal. In FL people mile the crap out of cars since commutes are long and things are not close like in say Buffalo. Just the way it is. So they get high, high miles. But there is no snow so bodies last. A good combination for cheaper cars. NC is similar but one thing I noticed is they have a state inspection similar to NY/PA so the worst of the junk migrates to other states. Same no-salt thing keeping bodies good. Find a runner, drive it up, use your know-how to keep it on the road.

Fly down cheap, find a cheap motel, rent a cheap car, and look around. Find out the rules for buying down there and what NY will want when you get back before you leave.

If you are really brave, purchase a F-150 with a hitch, rent a trailer ($300) and buy something to sell when you return. That can pay for the trip!
The President is a fink.
March 19th, 2017 at 12:08:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
I had dinner at a place my brother demanded I hit. By 8:00 or so, I am on my way. West Palm Beach to Pittsburgh. 17 hours! In one night! 1100 miles.

Am I nuts? I might be. Load up on coffee. Set the GPS. Drive, drive, drive. Load up the podcasts. Use Bluetooth for the first time. 4 stops for gas, 1 for a Waffle House breakfast. A few calls of nature.

Btw, I don't know about other states, but Florida has night security at their rest stops. I go to sleep there sometimes on long trips. Only bad time I ever had was when I left the window open and the car filled with mosquitoes. (actually, that was Louisiana rest stop)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 19th, 2017 at 12:13:54 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Btw, I don't know about other states, but Florida has night security at their rest stops. I go to sleep there sometimes on long trips. Only bad time I ever had was when I left the window open and the car filled with mosquitoes. (actually, that was Louisiana rest stop)

Funny you mention that, I saw those signs. Problem was I was out of FL before midnight or so. I did not pack my pillow and blanket to avoid a checked bag or might have stopped. The few times I did this I stopped near trucks for safety.

Once in NC I saw lots of cars with people resting. Be careful where and when you do this, for example in PA you are supposed to leave a rest area after 2 hours though they let truckers stay for their mandated rest periods.

I say I will not do such at trip again, but probably would if the same need arose.
The President is a fink.
March 19th, 2017 at 1:00:37 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman

If you are really brave, purchase a F-150 with a hitch, rent a trailer ($300) and buy something to sell when you return. That can pay for the trip!

Will most states allow you to do that without registering the car? I believe in Nevada you would have to title and register it before you can sell it unless you have a dealer's license.

In Nevada it is very expensive to register cars. We pay over $1000 each year to register my car and my wifes car.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 19th, 2017 at 1:35:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich
Will most states allow you to do that without registering the car? I believe in Nevada you would have to title and register it before you can sell it unless you have a dealer's license.

If you buy from a private citizen,
get him to leave your name off
the title when he sells it to you.
That way you can sell it without
registering it. Done it several
times with no problem. The
buyer doesn't care, he has to
register it anyway.
Page 2 of 3<123>