1 vote (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

March 7th, 2017 at 1:21:39 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Dolby Cinema is a premium theatre concept put forward by Dolby Labs, the original noise reduction / Surround sound innovator.

Dolby Cinema auditoriums are equipped with special features:
-- Dolby Atmos "moving" surround sound systems
-- Dolby Vision projection
-- Reserved, premium seats, including motorized recliners.

I recently saw a movie in a Dolby Cinema auditorium. Here are my impressions:
-- The sound system is a unique experience in a movie theatre. Much more than 7.1 surround sound, the audio is mixed so that the source of different sounds appears to accurately track the picture on the screen. In addition to speaker towers along the walls and back of the room, speakers are also installed overhead. The bass is huge, actually vibrating the seats.

-- While regular theatres are using the equivalent of 1080p HD, like the flatscreen in many homes, the Dolby projector appears to be an ultra high definition system. The contrast is especially good, with the color black accurately reproduced.

-- The premium seats are just okay. They can recline, and have leg rests that raise or lower. I didn't find them especially comfortable, and I think folks that are short, tall, or wide, will have issues with the fit. The best thing is the fact that they are reserved, so there is no rush to get there early. The rows of seats are separated by a short wall, which is very nice for keeping the kids in the row behind you from kicking your seat the whole film.

The question for the poll is, "Given that you will pay 50% more per ticket, what is your impression of Dolby Cinema?
March 7th, 2017 at 1:30:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Might be interesting if there were ever to be a movie that was worth going to see.
March 7th, 2017 at 3:11:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Maybe I am just getting to be that old guy grouch, but no interest. I see a movie about every year and a half. I do not even know who most of the actors and actresses are anymore. The movies I like are like "The Founder" or "Money Never Sleeps." IOW, business movies or heist movies. These kind of flicks do not much benefit from fancy sound systems. I find when they do these fancy sound things half of what they do is just make it loud.

So the benefit to me is marginal at best. Other thing is when I see what I see is usually a matinee or off-peak time. I forget what one movie I saw was I think there were 3 of us in there.

If Lori Grenier dumps her husband to go out with me then maybe it would be worth 50% upcharge. Short of that, no.
The President is a fink.
March 7th, 2017 at 3:15:16 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
While not a Dolby Theatre, a few years ago, I saw a movie in a theater that had lazy-boy type recliners.

I was a good movie, but that damn recliner almost put me to sleep!
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
March 7th, 2017 at 6:59:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Movie theaters have been into technical innovations to set them above the TV experience since the early 1950s.

Quote: AZDuffman
Maybe I am just getting to be that old guy grouch, but no interest.

I don't think the target audience is older people. My biggest problem is staying awake through most movies.

It's the 20 year old with a little more money than teenagers. They are willing to spring extra money for a more immersive movie experience.

Yes, Lori would be nice.
March 7th, 2017 at 11:10:14 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
By the next time I go see a movie in a theater, this may not even be the latest technology!

I think we go to a movie in a theater once every two years or so. The type of theater we see the movie in is based on what time of day we want to see it and what theater it is playing in at that time. The type of theater is not a factor.
March 8th, 2017 at 4:59:49 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DJTeddyBear
While not a Dolby Theatre, a few years ago, I saw a movie in a theater that had lazy-boy type recliners.

I was a good movie, but that damn recliner almost put me to sleep!

I see a lot of movies and I live less than a mile from a huge 20 screen megaplex.

One of these new theaters with the La-Z-Boy type seats is opening next weekend. It's about 10-15 minutes away. I'm definitely going to check it out and see if its worth the extra drive.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 8th, 2017 at 6:54:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I usually watch movies in premium theaters because the seats are comfortable and children are rare.

But all I really need is a crisp image, clear sound and a seat I can stand for 2 hours.

BTW, does anyone remember the light bulb movie controversies of the 80s and 90s?

The late Roger Ebert tackled many questions about it in his column. IT turns out light bulbs on movie projectors were expensive, so many theaters ran them at lower settings to extend their lifetime. This yielded a darker image on screen, which bothered a lot of people.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER