Two sorely needed amendments to the US Constitution

Page 1 of 3123>
February 28th, 2017 at 11:30:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
1) Recall elections for all Federal officials

2) Anyone running for president must have held at least one post gained by popular election at any level

I'm aware the second one explicitly would have excluded Golden Boy, but that's not the reason I propose it. The reason is the rank amateurism we've seen from his so-called administration.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 28th, 2017 at 2:38:59 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
1) Recall elections for all Federal officials

2) Anyone running for president must have held at least one post gained by popular election at any level

I'm aware the second one explicitly would have excluded Golden Boy, but that's not the reason I propose it. The reason is the rank amateurism we've seen from his so-called administration.

i am one of the most apolitical people you will ever meet but I hate your idea for #2. I want to see radical change and putting more restrictions on the office will encourage the status quo. I also believe there should be no party designation listed on any ballots.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 28th, 2017 at 2:42:36 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Number 2 is an regulation with no need. The populace can decide if someone is qualified. If the populace decides to elect someone without previous election, that's their decision. Adding caveats and exceptions is the addition of bad laws to good, and that rarely ends well.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 28th, 2017 at 2:50:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
How about a needed amendment to the Mexican Constitution:

1. Any person who has has not/does not stop illegal migration shall be removed from office?

It is after all sorely needed!
The President is a fink.
February 28th, 2017 at 3:13:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Number 2 is an regulation with need.

huh?

Quote:
The populace can decide if someone is qualified. If the populace decides to elect someone without previous election, that's their decision. Adding caveats and exceptions is the addition of bad laws to good, and that rarely ends well.

I don't follow politics much. But back in the Dark Ages (c.1992) I read tons of news magazines every year. Politics just percolates that way. I abstracted from this three important principles:

1) There's public politics (elections, campaigns, speeches, rallies, etc.)
2) There's horse-trading politics (drafting and passing bills, hearings, cabinet and court appointments, etc)
3) Few politicians are talented enough at both, and need consultants and others to help.

The saving grace of Golden Boy is that he sucks at public politics outside of his base, he thinks of horse-trading as getting his way, and won't reach out to the other side to save his life.

IN other words, he's so grossly incompetent as to be engaging in political malpractice.

Lucky for us.

But the point is anyone who's run and won even a seat at a small town council would be more politically adept than the Orange Man.
February 28th, 2017 at 9:35:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
The populace can decide if someone is qualified. .

My problem is not that you may be entirely correct this is the best way possible, it's that I don't know that this has ever been tested adequately.

Let me make an analogy.

The way we get airplane pilots is experienced pilots teach other pilots, create tests and then determine who can pass all the tests and become a pilot.

Now suppose you started hiring pilots the way we do politicians. Potential pilots apply for a pilot job and they all have varying levels of experience, or even near complete inexperience in flying a plane. And to judge for hiring them, we just use random people also with varying degrees of experience or no experience in flying and let those people pick pilots by popular vote. We don't know what these people are judging. Maybe they just like the way the person looks in a cockpit. Who knows?

Is that a great plan? That's what we do for heads of government. At least here.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 1st, 2017 at 1:44:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
THREAD DIVERSION: Just as an aside for aviation, may I suggest you take a look at French and Spanish airline culture.

THREAD CONTINUATION:
I see no need to exclude as unqualified. We use Plimsol marks on ships, but Plimsol was a brewer, not a sailor.
March 1st, 2017 at 1:46:51 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: AZDuffman
How about a needed amendment to the Mexican Constitution:

1. Any person who has has not/does not stop illegal migration shall be removed from office?

It is after all sorely needed!

C'mon...we all know everything is just peachy down there. That is why there is so much time for the OP to comment on US Politics!!

There are heads rolling all the time down there; I haven't heard much about that at all from the OP.
March 1st, 2017 at 7:02:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Is that a great plan?

It gets worse than that.

Suppose someone running for pilot told you there was too much concern for safety and not enough for getting there on time, and why do we have to allow foreign planes to land be fore we do? "I will drive the plane faster, three times the speed of sound, and we'll get there before we leave!"

Next thing you know, the engines quit from being pushed too hard, you're losing altitude and such unlikely nonessentials like seatbelts and oxygen masks were taken off the plane.

Have a nice flight.

Quote:
That's what we do for heads of government. At least here.

This happens pretty much everywhere. The thing is most candidates for high office have done some time in lower offices. Can you name the last president not to have had an elected office before? I think you have to go back all the way to Eisenhower.

Also most such candidates are actually qualified for the office they seek.

Not this time.
March 10th, 2017 at 9:35:41 PM permalink
Nareed
The Constitution already sets a minimum age for presidential candidates. Should there be a maximum age?
Page 1 of 3123>