Visa Ban

February 2nd, 2017 at 7:58:38 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Fleastiff
Visa ban, visa ban ...... Can't you just shut up already and use Master Card?

Queue rimshot. That was funny.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 2nd, 2017 at 8:49:08 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: AZDuffman
He never said he did.

So what policies, statements, etc. of Trump do you disagree with? I've never read anything you wrote about him that wasn't the most effusive, unstinting, unqualified praise. And I don't mean some nuance like where exactly he should set up the concentration camps. I mean, is there anything about him you fundamentally disagree with?
February 2nd, 2017 at 12:04:30 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
I don't know how "uncomfortable" he is but I can say I am completely against the idea and always have been. It is just a spoils system to make blacks think they need help and keep voting for the people who give it to them. It has done nothing but cause bad blood between the races.

It has been around 50 years now and if you even hint that it needs to end the usual rent-a-mob shows up to say how blacks are still somehow incapable without it.

15 or so years ago, SCOTUS put a "20 year expiration date" on the idea. You can bet the liberal wing of the court will say we need another 20 years if a case worms its way to the SCOTUS again.

Well, I had to quit school in the 11th grade at age 16 to support my family. 1956. I lived in Pigtown, a part of Baltimore next to the stockyards. First job included unlocking tractor trailers. Back then, no pallets, stuff stacked full length and almost to ceiling. Usually me and Mr. Smith lifting everything onto roller system. Terrapin can tell you about heat and humidity in summers in Baltimore. Not add a metal trailer with sun beating down on it. Mr. Smith was black, 6'4, 250. Was not called Mister because he was scary, but because he was a Deacon in his church. Only other black among grocery clerks, meat cutters, produce clerks, etc. over 100 employees was Billy, the custodian. This is a neighbor that was mostly Jewish and black.
Civil rights Act passed in 1964, I was in middle of a 4 year sentence in USAF. I was back in Baltimore in 1968 for the riots 1962-1966 I was in Alabama Mississippi and Texas. So I know how racists think and act firsthand.
Married Josie Dec 21 1968 Longest night off the year. Feb 1969 stop collecting for bookies and went over to the DARK SIDE.
Hired on at AT&T, Became a shop steward that year. Management would often settle rather than have to meet with a certain crazy bastard. Over the next 10 years I had to handle grievance from white males who got passed over for a promotion. Most were full of shit, too lazy to work OT and make real money, just wanted prestige of wearing a suit to work and bossing people.
I sometimes am misunderstand when I make a joke and someone takes offense. Let me say this, people laugh at a joke if it has truth in it.
Popular joke that unfortunately in too many ways is a funny as ever.
Q: What do you call a black man in a suit ? A: The defendant.
Not only were blacks discriminated in hiring and promotions. They never had a chance at a job back then. Lots of word of mouth about job opening, and despite folks saying lots of my friends are black back then, NOT TRUE. My dad was a cab driver and what he said was sadly true. Back in 50's if a white man had a male friend who was black, he was after the black's money or wanted to screw his wife. Can not remember how many times between 1962-1966, anytime someone remarked about a black being smart or doing something good, I would heard " Must be some white blood in him. "
So my question to you is , do you seriously think just saying " Stop doing that, isn't unfair " would have worked? Affirmative action is and was flawed. But what would YOU have done to help erase discrimination. I don't know, I will admit that openly. Voting Democrat didn't seem to help. 40% of Black families are at or below the poverty level in Baltimore. Its only 30% in Chicago, but 10% (274,000 ) live in deep poverty, less than 50% of poverty level. Plus Chicago is the most segregated city in the USA. Of course all of this and the murder rate in Baltimore and Chicago is Trump's fault.
Can't mention Affirmative Action without the EEOC. A most ineffective bureaucracy. To be perfectly honest, I have never been black. But I am old, 77. Applied for a job I can do in my sleep, interviewed, but no thanks. Mandatory OT and 2 job fairs in last few months. But no thanks Buzz, despite not only doing this job, but having taught people this job as AT&T as an instructor. Applied for custodian job at VA hospital, worked in Hospital in USAF, Owned a cleaning franchise, worked as contract custodian after retiring from AT&T , get bonus points a Vietnam Vet, job only opened to Vets, did not even get interview. Last week applied for 1 of 4 part time custodian jobs at Monument park, USA GOV jobs. No F***ing way there will be 4 applicants more qualified than me. Think I will be at least interviewed? I doubt it! I am 77. I work out at Golds Gym, unload pallets at Church food bank, etc. Think I know fatso who denied me call center job, love to take him out on parking lot, and like who makes it back inside gets the job. There I go again, being uncivilized. Sorry Face.
I and Josie get 32K a year , dont get Leap, Low income housing, NUTTIN> Too high an income. Of course after 10 k medical premiums and 4 - 5 K prescription copay, not exactly living the high life. No complains, got Josie and my health.
Eagerly awaiting to hear exactly what GREAT method others would have used instead of Affirmative Action. Don't be shy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 2nd, 2017 at 12:15:36 PM permalink
buzzardknot
And before a certain person starts complaining about college admission be denied because of Affirmative Action, he should focus instead on legacy admissions. You know, that Affirmative Action for mostly applicants with a White Daddy and almost twice the family income than minority applicants.
February 2nd, 2017 at 12:34:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: buzzardknot

So my question to you is , do you seriously think just saying " Stop doing that, isn't unfair " would have worked? Affirmative action is and was flawed. But what would YOU have done to help erase discrimination.

Same Civil Rights Act we passed. But no Affirmative Action. All it did was lead to quotas and bad blood. If a black makes it, the question is, "did they make it on their own?" And again, 50 years later there is a fight to the death anytime you try to end it. Merit does not matter as much as skin color at many colleges. So they admit blacks based on skin color, who have no basis being there on merit. They then fail out. They go thru life thinking they are a failure, years of their lives wastes and maybe even some big loans to pay back.

Quote:
Voting Democrat didn't seem to help. 40% of Black families are at or below the poverty level in Baltimore. Its only 30% in Chicago, but 10% (274,000 ) live in deep poverty, less than 50% of poverty level. Plus Chicago is the most segregated city in the USA. Of course all of this and the murder rate in Baltimore and Chicago is Trump's fault.

Blacks keep behaving and voting the same way and to their surprise get the same result. Votes to the same politicians. Listen to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton year after year. Foolish personal financial decisions. Harassing anyone who does not go along as an "Uncle Tom" or "Acting White."

Discrimination is not now the problem.
The President is a fink.
February 2nd, 2017 at 1:25:11 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Same Civil Rights Act we passed. But no Affirmative Action. All it did was lead to quotas and bad blood. If a black makes it, the question is, "did they make it on their own?" And again, 50 years later there is a fight to the death anytime you try to end it. Merit does not matter as much as skin color at many colleges. So they admit blacks based on skin color, who have no basis being there on merit. They then fail out. They go thru life thinking they are a failure, years of their lives wastes and maybe even some big loans to pay back.

Blacks keep behaving and voting the same way and to their surprise get the same result. Votes to the same politicians. Listen to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton year after year. Foolish personal financial decisions. Harassing anyone who does not go along as an "Uncle Tom" or "Acting White."

That question of how a black got a promtion is asked by whites, not blacks. In colleges the high failure rate is due to a bad education in inner city schools often. I am a STRONG union man. But believe in Charter Schools and vouchers. Again I ask, what plan did you have to replace AA. And many college admissions are not on merit. But the color of your skin. Chances of admission go up greatly if Daddy was a legacy AA for whites.
Where is all the complaining and whining about that.

No argument from me on how disgraceful Democrats have treated their most loyal supporters!
February 2nd, 2017 at 4:43:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: buzzardknot
To be perfectly honest, I have never been black. But I am old, 77. Applied for a job I can do in my sleep, interviewed, but no thanks. Mandatory OT and 2 job fairs in last few months. But no thanks Buzz, despite not only doing this job, but having taught people this job as AT&T as an instructor. Applied for custodian job at VA hospital, worked in Hospital in USAF, Owned a cleaning franchise, worked as contract custodian after retiring from AT&T , get bonus points a Vietnam Vet, job only opened to Vets, did not even get interview. Last week applied for 1 of 4 part time custodian jobs at Monument park, USA GOV jobs. No F***ing way there will be 4 applicants more qualified than me.
Maybe you are aiming to low for your qualifications? Can you sign the books? Here are a few locals, sorry my tramp guide is out of date. http://www.flanagans.com/ibew/Ibewgrph.htm A lot of these locals have more than one office. I have seen many times at hiring hall where the union had hired some busted or old brother to push broom. With your experience of being shoppie, maybe there is such a thing as a fill in steward, or rep? Have you talked with the union?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 2nd, 2017 at 6:07:04 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Thanks Petro. But few union halls here and they are having hard time taking care of their own. I am a survivor. Just pissed that first VA did not even interview, when I used VA internal complaint, woman had 45 days to respond and chose not. Now that I filled actual EEOC, she has scheduled a mediation for next week. No input asked from me as to who will mediate. Probably another supervisor at VA. Meeting at 10 am in her office.
As a shop steward I never met in 2nd lines office, Him in padded chair, my desk space relegated to a corner of his desk, sitting there while he had to answer an important call, etc F*** that. Home court advantage NOT
Schedule a conference room, neither sitting at head, but on opposite sides, etc.
Anyway don't figure to get anywhere. Not being negative, just honest. I want to know why job ad was placed, why time frame was chosen, how were interview candidates selected, etc. Want to hear it from person who placed ad, who did interviews, point system used, etc.
Expect to walk out first time I am told something is none of my business. That remark will be wrapped in niceties, such as confidentiality,
person not available, not necessary to resolve this, etc
Really hope I am wrong Really wrong. A simple reply to my email back in August or a phone call and this would be all behind me. Now as a Vet and for people my age who need a job to survive, not just to buy a car, make a few trips to Vegas. Hopefully they will have a better chance of getting a job at a VA hospital that is supposed to be dedicated to them.
February 2nd, 2017 at 11:27:36 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17

Boy, that's asinine. Blacks are not a monolithic voting bloc. They can't be characterized as simply as you try to. And saying that they make "foolish personal financial decisions" is just plain racist and unsupported by evidence. At least when presented as a blanket statement like yours. Also, your "Uncle Tom" comment is ignorant and uncalled for.

Furthermore, if you think that blacks don't suffer from discrimination any more, you're living in some kind of alternate reality.

It's disgusting racist crap like this that will prevent our country from going forward. I know that as a good Trumper and fan of the alt-right and Breitbart, you feel you have to say these things, But they have no place in civilized society.
February 3rd, 2017 at 10:35:44 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Well, damn near monolithic, to say the least. Clinton had an 80 point edge among black voters, Obama 91 & 96. Even an old white woman held an 84 point advantage. Do not hear Uncle Tom comments much anymore, do hear Oreo cookie sometimes when a black goes against a Democratic party standard bearer, AKA Sharpton or Jackson.