How the Universe Works - Science Channel

January 10th, 2017 at 4:18:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
How the Universe Works - Science Channel

I have DVR set up to record new episodes. Recent one was about Pluto and I kind of went, meh, what could be new? Almost didn't watch it. Turns out scientists are flabbergasted, having expected Pluto to be similar to our Moon - Pluto is in fact smaller.

There was a close fly-by in 2015 by NASA's "New Horizon". Of particular interest, there are huge areas that have no craters. What's the big deal? That means the craters, which would definitely have been created all over the place, are being wiped out by recent geologic activity. All kinds of theories now being examined.

Tonight [10th] the episode will be about the kind of stars that are capable of wiping out Earth. That ought to be good.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 10th, 2017 at 4:23:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
The funny part is NASA had to be dragged kicking and screaming to launch that probe. To launch to Pluto is once in a lifetime. But they thought nothing to see there, waste of money. However Americans get fascinated about Pluto almost as much as Mars. So a probe was sent. Now it has become a good case of why we do pure not just applied research.

Now if only we could replace the shuttle. The moon shot took less time.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2017 at 4:24:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm sure the show will be fascinating particularly since there is likely a planet beyond Pluto.

While watching the show be sure to wear that tee shirt from Snorgtees.... Beautiful girl wearing shirt saying "Don't Worry Pluto, I'm not a planet either".
January 12th, 2017 at 7:41:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: odiousgambit
the episode will be about the kind of stars that are capable of wiping out Earth. That ought to be good.

it was good - catch it if you can

re Pluto, the amounts of frozen water and nitrogen were unexpected. One theory is that the water, oceans of it, is also still liquid underneath - and the freezing releases heat, allowing processes. It's astonishing that freezing could go on for 4 billion years - perhaps they think Pluto is younger, allowing it to still be going on? Program didn't explain [or I missed it]. They seem sure the core is not molten.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]