Leonard Cohen died at age 82

Page 3 of 3<123
November 11th, 2016 at 1:04:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Religious terms and phrases creep into the language almost unnoticed in some cases.

Sure. If I had a penny for every time someone uses a common phrase with a Biblical origins, I'd be able to hire twice the world's supply of hit men.

But hallelujah is most commonly used as mockery. When your much delayed-flight finally departs, for example. I'm sure that's not how it's sued in the song in question (I forget the title <w>).

Quote:
Pretty sure godd***t has been used by non-religious people.

I'd like to know of those who've said it, religious or not, how many know it's very blasphemous. No more than one in ten, I'd guess.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 11th, 2016 at 1:20:32 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Nareed

I'd like to know of those who've said it, religious or not, how many know it's very blasphemous. No more than one in ten, I'd guess.

How so? Is it shorthand for some phrase you're not supposed to utter, or you'll be struck by lightning or something? (I assume, per Christian doctrine.) Like "gosh durn it."

I personally feel that "blasphemy" is a meaningless concept, in that it's offending a magical being who doesn't really exist, but I do acknowledge that there are plenty of people who are willing to kill you for it. And not just in the Bible Belt.
November 11th, 2016 at 2:27:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: stinkingliberal
How so?

Taking the lord's name in vain, even though 1) he has no commonly known name, 2) if he had one, no one is using it, and 3) how do you judge whether it's in vain or for a purpose anyway, dagnabbit?

Quote:
Is it shorthand for some phrase you're not supposed to utter, or you'll be struck by lightning or something? (I assume, per Christian doctrine.) Like "gosh durn it."

Yes, but it's metaphorical lightning. Like, you know, you say "goddammnit" and next thing you know god rigs the election as punishment.

Quote:
I personally feel that "blasphemy" is a meaningless concept, in that it's offending a magical being who doesn't really exist, but I do acknowledge that there are plenty of people who are willing to kill you for it. And not just in the Bible Belt.

Are you single? :)

I find the concept of an omnipotent, omnibenevolent deity who can be so easily offended to be deeply puzzling. Unless, perhaps, the Christian god is also Orange.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 12th, 2016 at 12:55:40 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Some other Cohen songs I've kinda liked, but don't love:

Dance with me to end of love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVow6kr5nI (someone else I am sure could do this better, but many see it as the ultimate in romance)

First we take Manhattan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTC_fD598A (oh so 80's feeling)

Closing Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0lV5qs1Qw (country twang)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 3 of 3<123