General science thread

July 4th, 2017 at 12:38:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit

*Except that it has been interesting, hopefully to everyone reading this

I read the first paragraph, does that count?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 4th, 2017 at 1:25:29 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: odiousgambit

*Except that it has been interesting, hopefully to everyone reading this

I read the first paragraph, does that count?

You should at least read the bit at the very end too!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 4th, 2017 at 2:36:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I read an interesting article about an experiment to see what happens when wolves are raised by people. Dogs and wolves share a rather recent common ancestor, less then 50,000 years ago.

It turns out a wolf pup raised by humans will bond and make a long-term attachment with their human, but not to the extent and degree a dog does. That is to say the wolf won't grow dependent, emotionally or physically, on their human. the grown wolf will be glad to see them and will greet them as one of the pack, but won't go into a frenzy of joy, nor will they whine or mope when their human is away. This squares well with the notion that dogs stay childlike all their lives. it also shows where some dog traits come from.

I wonder if we could breed wolves selectively to get a new kind of dog. This has been done with foxes, BTW, and it takes surprisingly few generations. Not that we need to, but out of mere curiosity. It might also validate, but not prove, some hypotheses about how dogs were domesticated.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 4th, 2017 at 4:16:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

I wonder if we could breed wolves selectively to get a new kind of dog. .

Where do you think dogs came from.
Domesticating wolf pups and then
breeding them. Different breeds come
from taking an oddball pup and breeding
with another oddball. Thousands of years
later we have all these different breeds
that have a DNA that's mostly wolf.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 19th, 2017 at 1:05:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
The researchers recruited 16 snorers for their research. All of them were healthy, normal weight people. After measuring the fluid volume in the volunteers’ calves, the researchers asked them to sit for four hours—and then tracked their snoring that night. Why the interest in leg fluid? As the researchers point out in the study: “Prolonged sitting may promote leg fluid retention that redistributes to the neck during sleep and contributes to snoring.” The researchers also wanted to test a potential solution: Half of the volunteers pressed their feet against pedals to keep their calf muscles active while sitting; the other half let their legs hang limply the way we all do at work and on the couch. A week later, the researchers reversed the groups—the inactive volunteers pressed pedals, the pedal-pressers sat idly—before tracking nightly snoring again.

Sure enough, the volume of lower-leg fluids actually tripled when volunteers sat quietly, and they snored up a storm that night. But when volunteers worked the pedals—keeping the blood pumping and fluids moving in their calves—they had less fluid buildup, and their snoring dropped by more than half when they hit the sack.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/something-you%E2%80%99re-doing-every-single-day-could-make-you-get-sleep-apnea/ar-BBEECpb?li=AA5LBhu&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 19th, 2017 at 1:50:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
how about just putting your feet up for a while before going to bed?

want to be a billionaire? come up with a cure for snoring
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 17th, 2017 at 4:41:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
US researchers have developed a skin patch that can melt fat in mice, and future tests will reveal whether it could treat obesity and diabetes in people, a study said Friday.

The patch uses nanotechnology to raise the body's metabolism and transform energy-storing white fat into energy-burning brown fat, according to the report in ACS Nano, a publication of the American Chemical Society

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/skin-patch-melts-love-handles-in-mice-study/ar-AArYmU6?li=AA5LBhu&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 18th, 2017 at 1:41:25 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Sometimes I feel that the search for dark matter resembles nothing so much as the search for Luminiferous aether in the XIX Century.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 26th, 2017 at 3:49:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Make a canal, save dragging those big stones.

Quote:
A group of archaeologists working at the Giza pyramid complex, an archaeological site, have unearthed an ancient papyrus scroll, remains of a boat and a network of waterways at the site of the pyramid, providing new evidence that points to how the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was built.

Pierre Tale, who spent four years painstakingly deciphering the papyrus written by an overseer working on the pyramid’s construction, said in the new documentary Egypt’s Great Pyramid: The New Evidence: “Since the very day of the discovery it was quite evident that we have the oldest papyrus ever found in the world.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ancient-mystery-of-how-the-egyptians-built-the-great-pyramid-of-giza-may-be-solved/ar-AAsuRrA?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
October 19th, 2017 at 12:37:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Scientist have detected caverns on the Moon several kilometers long and as much as 1 kilometer high. Good for locating space colonies.

https://gizmodo.com/scientists-just-found-the-perfect-spot-to-build-an-unde-1819658831