General science thread

Page 43 of 44« First<4041424344>
October 5th, 2023 at 1:19:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 18th, 2023 at 2:40:20 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
For some reason some in the media have decided to scare-monger about a comet. Google 12P/Pons-Brooks and you'll see what I mean.... a lot of "exploding and heading to Earth" headlines

Should be interesting, though, "cryovolcanic" for one thing. And for the solar eclipse, something to look for, and then not so much later, should be a bright comet to see coming around

From the wikipedia page, "There will be a solar eclipse on 8 April 2024 with the comet 25 degrees from the Sun... The closest approach to Earth will be 42 days later on 2 June 2024 when it will be 1.55 AU (232 million km) from Earth. Near perihelion passage the comet is expected to brighten to about magnitude 4.5 "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12P/Pons%E2%80%93Brooks
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 18th, 2023 at 6:17:59 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
For some reason some in the media have decided to scare-monger about a comet. Google 12P/Pons-Brooks and you'll see what I mean.... a lot of "exploding and heading to Earth" headlines

Should be interesting, though, "cryovolcanic" for one thing. And for the solar eclipse, something to look for, and then not so much later, should be a bright comet to see coming around

From the wikipedia page, "There will be a solar eclipse on 8 April 2024 with the comet 25 degrees from the Sun... The closest approach to Earth will be 42 days later on 2 June 2024 when it will be 1.55 AU (232 million km) from Earth. Near perihelion passage the comet is expected to brighten to about magnitude 4.5 "

I believe there is supposed to be a near miss with an asteroid and Earth on Friday April 13th, 2029.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 21st, 2023 at 5:28:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Newton's cradle with magnets.

I wouldn't mind sending a couple of these off to my nephews.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 30th, 2023 at 4:22:39 AM permalink
rxwine
DeepMind announces discovery process.

AI tool GNoME finds 2.2 million new crystals, including 380,000 stable materials that could power future technologies

https://deepmind.google/discover/blog/millions-of-new-materials-discovered-with-deep-learning/
December 11th, 2023 at 10:42:14 AM permalink
rxwine
BBC

A near perfect pliosaur skull has been found.

Quote:
The skull is longer than most humans are tall, which gives you a sense of how big the creature must have been overall. 130 teeth..
January 20th, 2024 at 9:18:02 AM permalink
rxwine
January 20th, 2024 at 11:02:13 AM permalink
rxwine
Now this one is super cool, particularly how it ends.

January 20th, 2024 at 1:15:01 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: odiousgambit

The Memphis, St. Louis, and Little Rock areas could be negatively affected by an earthquake.

If our DNA is paired to the solar system as I showed in this post:

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/3817/52/#post211562

...then the comet could represent a substance moving in our DNA, like a vaccine.

But one could argue it was already there.

The devil is the 15th Tarot Trump.

And if the comet has two horns, it refers to our moon's north node or south node (dragon head and tail) depending upon the shape facing us (the direction from which it comes).

Meaning, destiny (NN) or past (SN).

It's an omen of our subconscious, from the collective unconscious (see Carl Jung and archetypes).

An omen, like a white buffalo or an owl.

Furthering reading:

https://astralharmony.substack.com/p/devils-comet-heading-toward-earth
April 9th, 2024 at 2:25:50 PM permalink
rxwine
From the Atlantic

Quote:
The science behind Ozempic, a medication used to manage blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes, was initially thought to be solid. However, recent studies have raised doubts about its efficacy. When scientists first created the class of drugs that includes Ozempic, they believed these medications would work by mimicking a hormone called GLP-1 released by the gut. The idea was that these drugs could signal fullness, helping people eat less and lose weight. But here’s where it gets interesting: the original science that underpinned their development has fallen apart.
Serendipity played a role. The drugs indeed work as powerful modulators of appetite, but the mechanism isn’t quite what was initially thought. Recent research has revealed that GLP-1 from the gut breaks down quickly and has little effect on our appetites. However, GLP-1 receptors are naturally present in many parts of the brain. These brain receptors likely explain why Ozempic and similar drugs can curb the desire to eat—but also, anecdotally, curb other desires as well. In essence, these weight-loss drugs are ultimately drugs for the brain.
Here’s the twist: Ozempic and its successors differ significantly from the natural GLP-1 molecule they’re meant to mimic. They last much longer in the body. While natural GLP-1 released in the gut has a half-life of just minutes in the bloodstream, Ozempic (semaglutide) and similar drugs have half-lives measured in days. These engineered drugs resist degradation, allowing them to be injected only once a week. By flooding the body with long-lasting molecules, these injections likely penetrate parts of the brain that the natural gut hormone cannot reach. The result? Ozempic’s effectiveness in curbing appetite and aiding weight loss is far greater than originally anticipated12.

So, while the initial science behind Ozempic was a tidy story, the reality turned out to be more complex and fascinating. Sometimes, even in science, serendipity leads us down unexpected paths.
Page 43 of 44« First<4041424344>