General science thread

November 27th, 2020 at 11:21:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Heck I wouldn't be surprised to see a vintage looking film of President Kennedy looking dead on table, pulling off the wound makeup to his head then getting up and thanking everyone and walking out of the surgery room one day.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2020 at 10:17:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Harvard Medical School scientists have successfully restored vision in mice by turning back the clock on aged eye cells in the retina to recapture youthful gene function.

The team’s work, described today (December 2, 2020) in Nature, represents the first demonstration that it may be possible to safely reprogram complex tissues, such as the nerve cells of the eye, to an earlier age.

In addition to resetting the cells’ aging clock, the researchers successfully reversed vision loss in animals with a condition mimicking human glaucoma, a leading cause of blindness around the world.

The achievement represents the first successful attempt to reverse glaucoma-induced vision loss, rather than merely stem its progression, the team said. If replicated through further studies, the approach could pave the way for therapies to promote tissue repair across various organs and reverse aging and age-related diseases in humans.

https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-reverse-the-aging-clock-restore-age-related-vision-loss-through-epigenetic-reprogramming/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 15th, 2020 at 11:59:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Researchers say if you can climb four flights of stairs (defined as 60 individual stairs) in under a minute, your heart and cardiovascular system are in great shape.

Not sure where you stand when it comes to heart health? A new study just released by the European Society of Cardiology suggests testing yourself on the nearest staircase.

Of course, if you then die, that’s bad news.
December 15th, 2020 at 5:49:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: OnceDear
That looks like an awful lot of lead shot into the air, most of which missed. Lucky there wasn't a city in that direction $:o)'

Phalanx is designed to fire a lot of lead shot into the air. The hope is that some of it will hit and destroy the incoming missile even if most of it misses.

It is actually a fairly common design of weapons.
December 22nd, 2020 at 6:14:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Just heard that we all should have learned one lesson from the Chelyabinsk Meteor event in Russia:

If you look out the window and see a big bright flash in the sky, what should you not do?

You should not go to the window and gawk, and you should instead get away from that window. Forgetting about the possibility of the later arriving not just sound but terrific shock wave, people instead did just the opposite. "Most of the injured were hurt by the secondary blast effects of shattered, falling or blown-in glass" per wikipedia page
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 3rd, 2021 at 7:40:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
A team of scientists at Freie Universität Berlin has developed an artificial intelligence (AI) method for calculating the ground state of the Schrödinger equation in quantum chemistry.

https://scitechdaily.com/artificial-intelligence-solves-schrodingers-equation-a-fundamental-problem-in-quantum-chemistry/
January 4th, 2021 at 6:15:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
The AI was able to determine that a dead cat is a dead cat.

Actually , Schrodinger's equation has nothing to do with cats but "is a linear partial differential equation that governs the wave function of a quantum-mechanical system" acc to wikipedia article. The math might as well be hieroglyphics for me ... as far as the rest of it, stare at this graph for about 24 hours and see if a light comes on

January 4th, 2021 at 3:39:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
Actually , Schrodinger's equation has nothing to do with cats ..

The really tough problem is Navier Stokes which express conservation of momentum and conservation of mass for Newtonian fluids. AI is making headway here as well.

Navier Stokes
+ mass conservation:
an equation of state to relate p and ρ, e.g. for an incompressible flow:

The 7 Major Unsolved Mathematical Problems
  1. Navier–Stokes Existence and Smoothness.
  2. Poincaré Conjecture.
  3. Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture.
  4. Hodge Conjecture.
  5. P Versus NP Problem.
  6. Riemann Hypothesis.
  7. Yang-Mills Existence and Mass Gap.
January 26th, 2021 at 1:19:43 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Just saw that Oumuamua* has been quite a bit more perplexing than was originally indicated, with some controversy about it. Apparently the object picked up more speed than it should have just from the slingshot effect. Offgassing like a comet does would explain this, but no comet-tail-like trail was detected at all. This has caused all sorts of speculation and one scientist, Avi Loeb,  released a book, "Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth" citing the seriousness of the lack of this trail evidence. 

The universe and the solar system have done a consistently good job of pointing out how little we do know. 

but see:

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA22357_JPL-20180620-ASTRDSf-0007-Interstellar%20Asteroid%20animation-720p.mp4

* a mnemonic for remembering how to spell and say that is to make it  “oh MOO ah MOO ah” which gives pronunciation directly. For spelling it is a matter of remembering the repeated use of 'u' and no use of 'h' [works for me anyway]
January 26th, 2021 at 2:49:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: odiousgambit
Just saw that Oumuamua* has been quite a bit more perplexing than was originally indicated, with some controversy about it. Apparently the object picked up more speed than it should have just from the slingshot effect. Offgassing like a comet does would explain this, but no comet-tail-like trail was detected at all. This has caused all sorts of speculation and one scientist, Avi Loeb,  released a book, "Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth" citing the seriousness of the lack of this trail evidence. 

The universe and the solar system have done a consistently good job of pointing out how little we do know. 

but see:

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA22357_JPL-20180620-ASTRDSf-0007-Interstellar%20Asteroid%20animation-720p.mp4

* a mnemonic for remembering how to spell and say that is to make it  “oh MOO ah MOO ah” which gives pronunciation directly. For spelling it is a matter of remembering the repeated use of 'u' and no use of 'h' [works for me anyway]
Oh na na nah https://youtu.be/CBCUcljQO5g
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW