General science thread

October 28th, 2019 at 1:06:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 22nd, 2019 at 1:05:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
It is ironic that we have been discussing this sort of thing in the Atheist Thread and now there is this breaking news. 

Looking into the topic, the discussion quickly goes to the role of RNA, a DNA precursor with modern roles in biological systems as well. Basically, it seems no scientist can create theories about the origin of life without quickly speculating about RNA being essential from the beginning. 

Quote: wikipedia page on Ribose (essential to RNA)
In November 2019, scientists reported detecting, for the first time, sugar molecules, including ribose, in meteorites, suggesting that chemical processes on asteroids can produce some fundamentally essential bio-ingredients important to life, and supporting the notion of an RNA world prior to a DNA-based origin of life on Earth, and possibly, as well, the notion of panspermia.

Quote: link
An international team has found sugars essential to life in meteorites. The new discovery adds to the growing list of biologically important compounds that have been found in meteorites, supporting the hypothesis that chemical reactions in asteroids – the parent bodies of many meteorites – can make some of life’s ingredients. If correct, meteorite bombardment on ancient Earth may have assisted the origin of life with a supply of life’s building blocks.

The team discovered ribose and other bio-essential sugars including arabinose and xylose in two different meteorites that are rich in carbon ... Ribose is a crucial component of RNA (ribonucleic acid). In much of modern life, RNA serves as a messenger molecule, copying genetic instructions from the DNA molecule (deoxyribonucleic acid) and delivering them to molecular factories within the cell called ribosomes that read the RNA to build specific proteins needed to carry out life processes.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/goddard/2019/sugars-in-meteorites
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 23rd, 2019 at 1:50:05 AM permalink
rxwine
https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-claim-a-they-ve-found-even-more-evidence-of-a-new-force-of-nature
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 26th, 2020 at 3:13:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.fort-russ.com/2020/02/the-plasma-universe-overthrows-the-mental-cage-of-newton-revives-plancks-musical-space-time/

snip <While Planck was an accomplished pianist, Einstein spoke relentlessly on the importance of his soul’s adherence to classical music and his love of playing Mozart on his violin. Both men played music together frequently, and both testified to the vital role of classical music’s performance in allowing them to leap beyond the constraints of logical deductive/inductive reasoning>
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 28th, 2020 at 8:07:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I missed this. You can't say "the moon" anymore, you have to specify which one as we have 2 moons . The small one is maybe 3 meters in diam.

Edit: Also mentioned is 2006 RH , however, that seems to only sometimes be in orbit around the Earth, usually around the Sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CD3
May 23rd, 2020 at 11:27:01 AM permalink
rxwine
The most interesting takeaways from the article (I posted parts on the other site)

-When apes to insects protein requirements aren't met with adequate sources, they will overeat other sources of calories in attempt to satisfy the normal protein requirement even to the point of depriving themselves of other necessary nutrients. So, not only can you make them overweight but malnourished as well.
Protein rules!

-Second takeaway is how easy it should be (theoretically) to calculate the ideal diet.

1. Find out the proper amount of protein you should require for your weight, age and activity level. (Harris Benedict equation)
2. Review your daily intake of protein from the foods you normally eat.
3. Adjust, but focus on healthy sources of protein. Other that that, the requirements are to add in proper amount of fiber. If your protein diet is varied enough you should pick up most if not all the other necessary nutrients as well. (there is usually small amounts of protein in vegetables, so adding those in adds few calories but other nutrients.)

-Third takeaway is how processed foods can be shown to really have messed up the balance. You can consume a ton of calories without meeting protein requirements.

Quote:
between 1961 and 2000, the proportion of protein in the average US diet fell from 14 per cent to 12.5 per cent, with the balance made up of fats and carbs. Given that shift, the only way people in the US could have maintained their target protein consumption was to increase total calorie intake by 13 per cent – more than enough to create an obesity epidemic.

Bingo!
May 23rd, 2020 at 12:37:15 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Bingo!
eat more meat!
May 23rd, 2020 at 1:12:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
The most interesting takeaways from the article (I posted parts on the other site)

-When apes to insects protein requirements aren't met with adequate sources, they will overeat other sources of calories in attempt to satisfy the normal protein requirement even to the point of depriving themselves of other necessary nutrients. So, not only can you make them overweight but malnourished as well.
Protein rules!

-Second takeaway is how easy it should be (theoretically) to calculate the ideal diet.

1. Find out the proper amount of protein you should require for your weight, age and activity level. (Harris Benedict equation)
2. Review your daily intake of protein from the foods you normally eat.
3. Adjust, but focus on healthy sources of protein. Other that that, the requirements are to add in proper amount of fiber. If your protein diet is varied enough you should pick up most if not all the other necessary nutrients as well. (there is usually small amounts of protein in vegetables, so adding those in adds few calories but other nutrients.)

-Third takeaway is how processed foods can be shown to really have messed up the balance. You can consume a ton of calories without meeting protein requirements.

Bingo!
I looked at the Harris Benedict equation in a few links and found a formula for calories, but didn't see how you estimate protein mg needs? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris%E2%80%93Benedict_equation

I've searched in the past, how do you estimate protein requirements?
May 23rd, 2020 at 1:57:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: petroglyph
I looked at the Harris Benedict equation in a few links and found a formula for calories, but didn't see how you estimate protein mg needs? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris%E2%80%93Benedict_equation

I've searched in the past, how do you estimate protein requirements?

Here's a permalink to my post on Wiz site.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/29527-health-and-weight-loss/117/#post769673
May 23rd, 2020 at 2:55:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
That's about like the formula for converting Fahrenheit to Celsius. I think I came up with a number, not unlike other methods I used in the past.

Still, for me, an impossible task.