General science thread

March 14th, 2018 at 1:12:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Rest in Peace Stephen Hawking.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 14th, 2018 at 1:45:35 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: odiousgambit
well, you know, they say the center of the universe cannot be determined. Everything is just moving away from everything, not from some central spot that can be determined. I've never heard why that doesn't argue against the Big Bang.

As for acceleration, that is assumed to have a cause; whatever the Big Bang achieved would be over, nothing would be still accelerating. That is the big "dark" thing about Dark Energy - it is flabbergasting. What mechanism would that be, that would be causing acceleration?

Trust me, there are 8 year olds who understand this better than me. I just glean what I can and can be wrong. But that is why we have this thread, so we can talk about it.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

agrees that there is no center

Quote:
If the Big Bang were an ordinary explosion in an already existing space, we would be able to look out and see the expanding edge of the explosion with empty space beyond. Instead, we see back towards the Big Bang itself and detect a faint background glow from the hot primordial gases of the early universe. This "cosmic microwave background radiation" is uniform in all directions. This tells us that it is not matter that is expanding outwards from a point, but rather it is space itself that expands evenly.

It is important to stress that other observations support the view that there is no centre to the universe, at least insofar as observations can reach. The fact that the universe is expanding uniformly would not rule out the possibility that there is some denser, hotter place that might be called the centre, but careful studies of the distribution and motion of galaxies confirm that it is homogeneous on the largest scales we can see, with no sign of a special point to call the centre.

I see it as the CMB radiation is at the edge of our detectability - everything beyond that is redshifted beyond what we can detect, or in other words we are expanding away from eachother faster than the speed of light beyond that point.

they use a baloon analogy, or a rubber band analogy, that everything is expanding from everything else when stretched. I picture the balloon analogy even deeper, sort of like an expanding sponge. we are somewhere in the middle of the sponge, and everything is expanding away from us, but we can see just a small sphere of the overall sponge that we can't hope to figure out which way the center is.

all that means is the universe is much, much bigger than we though it was, and we literally can't see it because the space that far away is expanding faster than the speed of light, relative to us.

as for the big bang being 'over' I don't think it is. it is my rifle analogy - we are still in the barrel of the rifle, being accelerated by the expanding gasses from the explosion of the gunpowder in the bullet. the explosion is over, but the acceleration, expansion, and cooling is not.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 14th, 2018 at 1:55:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
It works best on people who
are clueless idiots to begin
with.

You don't have to be moron to not see something obvious.. Although I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, if you say so.
\
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 14th, 2018 at 2:04:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

agrees that there is no center.

The word universe actually makes
no sense. If you ask the logical
question: Where is the universe,
there's no answer. What we consider
the universe, the galaxies, is not
the universe. They're IN the universe,
which is the infinite space everything
is a part of and that has been here
forever and always will be.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2018 at 9:32:10 PM permalink
rxwine
The name for the plan protecting Earth from life obliterating asteroids.

"Hypervelocity Asteroid Mitigation Mission for Emergency Response"

or HAMMER

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/there’s-a-small-chance-an-asteroid-will-smack-into-earth-in-2135-nasa-is-working-on-a-plan/ar-BBKrq7V?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2018 at 4:31:44 PM permalink
rxwine
I thought it already was an organ.

Quote:

The interstitium, the shock-absorbing tissue underneath the skin, gut and blood vessels, has been identified as an organ for the first time according to a new study.

Researchers think the layers of the body previously believed to be dense, connective tissues are in fact interconnected compartments filled with fluid. According to the team co-led by NYU School of Medicine, the interstitium is an organ in its own right, and one of the largest in the body. If the research published in the journal Scientific Reports is widely accepted, the interstitium could be regarded as the 80th organ in the human body.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/scientists-discover-new-organ-in-the-human-body/ar-BBKMieF?ocid=spartanntp
March 27th, 2018 at 6:01:25 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
the skin is an organ, so this I guess expands the concept
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 27th, 2018 at 8:04:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
the skin is an organ, so this I guess expands the concept

The penis is both an organ and a musical
instrument. The skin flute..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2018 at 1:33:01 AM permalink
rxwine
There's a Harvard study that suggests the Universe might end with a Big Bang through the destabilization of Higgs Boson somewhere.

and... it may have already begun.
April 4th, 2018 at 3:50:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I knew a guy we called Higgs , not sure what his last name was, and, yeah, he could cause something like that
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]