Vacation ideas when you hate what most people like

Page 8 of 8« First<5678
February 12th, 2018 at 3:13:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
Definitely do the Blue Lagoon.
I believe an online reservation is mandatory and can be arranged thru any hostel or hotel.
>>>>>>for such a sparsely populated country, they put the airport really far from the city.
That is one reason you visit the Duty Free Shop on your way INTO the country. Those cheap bottles of booze you buy are valuable as tips/gifts at hostels and guest houses. A Jeep and Driver rental is real cheap there.
February 12th, 2018 at 11:46:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Anyway, when I went to Germany in the early 90's I paid a little extra for a two-day stopover in Reykjavik. ...
Strange thing about the Reykjavik airport, for such a sparsely populated country, they put the airport really far from the city.

Keflavík International Airport is 31 mi southwest of Reykjavík. In contrast, Narita International Airport built in one of the most crowded places in the planet is 37 miles east of central Tokyo.

The airport was built for military use in WWII, by American forces, which explains it's distant location. The air terminal found itself in the middle of a secure military zone. Travelers had to pass through military check points to reach their flights, until 1987, when the civilian terminal was relocated.

I flew out of BWI on Iceland Air in 1984 , connecting to Sweden. At that time the overnight layovers were a little more difficult in Iceland, so people contented themselves with buying fuzzy sweaters at the airport.

Quote: Other airport facts involving trains
The Oslo airport is located 22 mi northeast of Oslo, and has a train to the city center which travels at 130 mph. It's the longest range for high speed rail airport connector in the world. Although Tokyo and London have well known rail connectors, they are not nearly that fast. Narita express is maximum speed of 80 mph, and London's Heathrow Express averages closer to 70 mph. Shanghai maglev is 19 miles. Although Shanghai is a similar distance as the Oslo train, Shanghai was built as massive money losing operation in an unsuccessful endeavor to get it's German builder the contract for the Beijing Shanghai link. Oslo actually makes some sense because there are a lot of people who live near the airport that need to get downtown, so the train is not exclusively used by passengers.

I remember looking up those statistics in 2004 when the San Diego airport proposed building by far the longest and fastest airport connector in the world, for a tiny suburban city where most people had never been on a train.
April 4th, 2018 at 3:44:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Siggi's Skyre, a brand of high quality yogurt derived from Scandinavia but actually made in Upstate New York, issued a press release concerning its Fermented Shark flavored yogurt. The press release was issued on April Fool's Day and it appears it was quit a successful press release.
Page 8 of 8« First<5678