Poll
No votes (0%)
7 votes (77.77%)
2 votes (22.22%)

9 members have voted

September 7th, 2016 at 2:58:56 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Apple just announced that the new iPhone 7 will not have a headphone jack. So if you want to listen to music, watch a video, or talk on the phone hands free, (without speakerphone) you'll need to either go wireless (bluetooth) or use a pair of headphones capable of plugging into Apple's patented proprietary Lightning port.

Personally, I'd file this under: "Solution in Search of a Problem". It should be interesting to see if there's a backlash, (remember Qwikster?) and whether they bring back the jack in iPhone 8 or 9.
September 7th, 2016 at 3:10:59 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The problem is that phones are still possessed of thickness, as I've heard the story, and eliminating the generic jack lets the maker make the phone a bit thinner. And if you don't like that, you'll be excommunicated :)

Next I expect Apple to do away with the battery, Jobs willing, and replace it with proprietary solar cells and a wireless power charger you can lug along in a proprietary backpack.

I don't expect much of a backlash. Apple's a cult, after all. I'd say a very large majority of the faithful would stick with the iphone, even if it required hourly charging. Those of us free of their influence will mock them, until LG, Samsung, Asus or Motorola come up with their own proprietary or, more likely, USB-C headphone port, no generic cylindrical jack. By then hopefully all cars will have OEM Bluetooth and wireless charging capabilities.

The idea still sucks, of course.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 7th, 2016 at 5:30:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Next I expect Apple to do away with the battery, Jobs willing, and replace it with proprietary solar cells and a wireless power charger you can lug along in a proprietary backpack.

Well you need a battery, as you need something to retain the charge. It may be permanent however.

They do intend to do away with the USB 3.0 port. You can charge wirelessly, so there will be no ports at all in the phone.

September 7th, 2016 at 5:49:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Well you need a battery, as you need something to retain the charge.

But how much more thinner and lighter can the phone be without a battery!

And it's not as if batteries will ever be able to withstand a day's worth of use anyway, so what good are they? Just make a 3-meter wireless charger (that is, one that can charge the phone from as far as 3 meters away), and simply keep the phone hooked up to power all day long. Slap an Apple logo on the (proprietary) iBackpack, and Apple devotees (ie worshippers) will be happy to lug it around all day.

And if the power dies and the phone resets, isn't that what the iCloud is for?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 7th, 2016 at 6:06:31 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I love iPhones, but this is kind of a deal breaker for me.

I flew LAS>DTW today. During the flight, I was charging my iPhone 6 while watching a movie on it (with headphones). So I wouldn't be able to do this with an iPhone 7?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 7th, 2016 at 6:29:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/ukrainian-startup-xe-claims-to-have-solved-wireless-charging/
Apple is investing in a 5 meter technology.

The commercial version of the technology will consist of a base charging station of about 15×15×40cm and a 3mm thick smartphone case.

The iPhone 6 is 6.9 mm = 0.0272".

Just make a 3-meter wireless charger (that is, one that can charge the phone from as far as 3 meters away), and simply keep the phone hooked up to power all day long.

I don't think that will fly. It's one thing to spend several hours in a room with your charger, it's another thing to have it plugged in at all times.
September 7th, 2016 at 7:19:24 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The problem is that phones are still possessed of thickness, as I've heard the story, and eliminating the generic jack lets the maker make the phone a bit thinner. And if you don't like that, you'll be excommunicated :)

It won't be an inconvenience for me. I have owned an iphone since 2007 and have never once plugged in headphones.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 7th, 2016 at 7:24:21 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: ams288
I love iPhones, but this is kind of a deal breaker for me.

I flew LAS>DTW today. During the flight, I was charging my iPhone 6 while watching a movie on it (with headphones). So I wouldn't be able to do this with an iPhone 7?

Your options are earphones/headphones with a lightning connector, an external 3.5mm to lightning connector adapter, or wireless (such as Bluetooth) headphones.

So yeah, you couldn't have a plug in charger and plug in headphones at the same time. I think it supports wireless charging, but that of course is another external device to wrangle.

They are taking the space previously used by the headphone jack for another speaker, allowing stereo sound through the built-in speakers.

I don't like the move, but I wouldn't be buying an iPhone anyway.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 7th, 2016 at 8:58:29 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Does anyone miss their floppy disc drives? There was a brief outcry when the first computer without them hit the sales floor.

How about CD/DVD drives? Computers don't have them anymore either. Need it? Buy a USB external drive.

No headphone jack? We'll get over that too, sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Here's an interesting tidbit for you Nervous Nellys that I recently heard: The last new VCR rolled off the assembly line just a couple weeks ago.

Anybody here running out to buy one while they can? No? Didn't think so...
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
September 7th, 2016 at 9:29:32 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: DJTeddyBear
How about CD/DVD drives?

I miss DVD drives. My wife's laptop doesn't have a DVD drive and it complicates moving large pieces of data cheaply.

But I accept that I'm in the minority on this. No one else gives a damn.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »