The famine was their own fault for breeding like rabbits.-Winston C

September 5th, 2016 at 1:56:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
http://worldobserveronline.com/2014/08/20/bengal-famine-british-engineered-worst-genocide-human-history-profit/

The Bengal Famine: How the British engineered the worst genocide in human history for profit

Although the starved populace of Bengal did not know it yet, this was just the first of the umpteen famines, caused solely by the motive for profit, that was to slash across the country side. Although all these massacres were deadly in their own right, the deadliest one to occur after 1771 was in 1943 when three million people died and others resorted to eating grass and human flesh in order to survive.

The Holodomor also known as the Terror-Famine and Famine-Genocide in Ukraine, and—prior to the widespread use of the term "Holodomor," as well as currently still—referred to also as the Great Famine, was a man-made famine in Ukraine in 1932 and 1933 that killed an estimated 2.5–7.5 million Ukrainians, with millions more counted in demographic estimates. It was part of the wider disaster, the Soviet famine of 1932–33, which affected the major grain-producing areas of the country.

Are the British as responsible as the Russians?
September 5th, 2016 at 2:33:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

The Bengal Famine: How the British engineered the worst genocide in human history for profit

When the Brits took 60% of Bengals
crops because of the war, it didn't
just effect the poor. The middle class
suffered because nobody had any
money to spend in the mom and pop
shops and those people starved too.
60 million population, 3-4 million
starved to death.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 5th, 2016 at 6:08:00 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
When I was growing up, India still had a reputation as a place where a famine could hit anytime, wrongly, mostly, as it turns out [which is not to say there isn't hunger amongst the poor]. The probability of it was laid to the huge population and the limited capacity of agricultural production and distribution. And pundits were making predictions all the time about how bad worldwide famines would be. That previous famines might be laid at the feet of British interference was not an idea being circulated. Perhaps we were duped, but certainly it is true that famines preceded the British.

I think that in modern times it is expected that there is no real excuse anymore for famines, and in fact it seems there have been no more famines since in that area except for Bangladesh in 1974. I think this helps point the finger now, looking back on 1943, the modern world getting used to the rarity of famines.

Churchill was always saying shit, he was quite un-PC by modern standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 5th, 2016 at 6:37:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit

Churchill was always saying shit, he was quite un-PC by modern standards.

Brits had no respect for Indians, they called
them the same N word that we used for
Africans. Just another heathen non Xtion
country to be plundered.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 5th, 2016 at 9:09:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Oh heck, the Irish Potato Famine took place with seven out of every ten vessels leaving Ireland carrying food; the English would have sold the food to the Irish but the Irish had no money, so they starved.

Even during Mao's "iron rice bowl" days there were famines, Mao took care of the famine by banning any mention of it in the press.

Indian famine... I have not heard why it was man made but I imagine it was the same as why feed the starving Indians who have no money when we have dogs who are hungry? Wasn't there a sign at the entrance to a park near the British Embassy: No Dogs, No Indians.

What about our Great Dust Bowl induced famine: it was largely caused by farmers planting crops right up to their front door so as to produce large yields as prices fell; so farmers resulted in having grain dumped in the town squares. Elevators were full, rolling stock was available but who wanted to ship it when there were no buyers. WW I had produced high prices and farmers wanted that maintained but with so much acreage growing wheat, the price fell. Every farmer wanted other farmers to suffer, but they would grow as much as they could. So it all wound up rotting in the town squares and the fields.

I've not heard of this Indian famine before but then of course why would I be interested in it? Look now at India...poor beyond belief yet they have a multi billion dollar nuclear weapons program.